Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand, when manufacturers build betas they make several of them using slightly different processes. They inspect/test those betas to determine which is the best process to use to build the release candidates. This is what Tesla skipped. I know people like to relate the beta process to software because that's what they understand but I don't think you can do that. I've never been involved in a process where the same app was built multiple different ways and then a winner chosen from those choices.

Yes, as I stated, they used software simulations to accomplish the same thing. At least in their minds. In this case, they had precedent for those from the person they hired to run the process:

Tesla hires a longtime Audi executive to take over vehicle production

"Musk claims advanced computer simulation technologies have helped the company skip the "beta testing" for its production tools and allows the automaker to move straight into final production. Additionally, an unnamed source claims the "soft tooling" hurt the Model X production plans."

Tesla taking a huge risk with Model 3 production

I've always thought "mule" referred to a test vehicle being disguised as something else. IE if the Model 3 mechanics were hidden under a Model S body - or a new year was tested in the previous year's body, etc... so based on that an alpha or RC would not be mules. The model Xs that had camouflaged fronts, roofs could be consider mules...
That's pretty much how it's described in Wikipedia: Development mule - Wikipedia

As far as this thread is concerned, I don't care if one calls it a mule, alpha, beta, release candidate, jackalope, giraffe, or unicorn, show me new photos of the Model 3 and I'll be happy and grateful. ;)

Last edited:
I've always thought "mule" referred to a test vehicle being disguised as something else. IE if the Model 3 mechanics were hidden under a Model S body - or a new year was tested in the previous year's body, etc... so based on that an alpha or RC would not be mules. The model Xs that had camouflaged fronts, roofs could be consider mules...
You may very well be right here. As I said I was not sure if I had the (absolutely) right definition. But if your right, then it is at least used very loosely here.

Edit: I see now that @BluestarE3 has given us the Wiki page, and I don't see anything there to counter what I said, except the "camouflage" part. But who knows? Maybe they are camouflage in some way we can't see?

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
Mod note: I did a bunch of clean-up moving things like wheel and noise maker discussions to separate threads.

I also moved pictures of RC's (not 'mules') to this other thread:
Model 3 RC sightings

If you see pictures of Model 3 on the road, please post them in that thread rather than here.
I don't think the original few Mule/alpha cars are getting spotted being driven around anymore.
All the new sightings seem to be RC/beta cars.

Mod note: I did a bunch of clean-up moving things like wheel and noise maker discussions to separate threads.

I also moved pictures of RC's (not 'mules') to this other thread:
Model 3 RC sightings

If you see pictures of Model 3 on the road, please post them in that thread rather than here.
I don't think the original few Mule/alpha cars are getting spotted being driven around anymore.
All the new sightings seem to be RC/beta cars.

I suspect very quickly that thread will become not what the originator intended. This thread had pictures and lots of discussions spawned from the pictures. That was supposed to be just pictures. But wherever the pictures are posted people will be discussing them, so if pictures are no longer posted in this thread it will die, and lots and lots of discussion will ensue in the other thread much to the OPs chagrin.

The two threads were never intended to be distinguished by "Mule" versus "RC".

As it is now, people are just splitting the same discussions among these two threads. I think we would be better off if this thread does wind down, and everything moves to the RC thread just to avoid confusion. Once production models are on the road, the RC thread should start to come to and end as well.

As it is now, people are just splitting the same discussions among these two threads. I think we would be better off if this thread does wind down, and everything moves to the RC thread just to avoid confusion. Once production models are on the road, the RC thread should start to come to and end as well.
But as it is we still have to have both threads open and "splitting the same discussions among these two threads" as some respect the OP of the other thread and post the discussion here and the pictures there, and others just ignore it and start the discussion there. So I do not think this move helped, and whenever the RC is or is not a "mule" is what is discussed here at the moment. I think the OP of this thread just meant "post any pictures you can find of pre-production Model 3's in the wild" or something like that.

Reactions: Foxhound199

Personally, I think the mod should move any non-picture posts from that thread to this one. We should have one thread for discussions, and one thread for people who just want to see the pictures. Unfortunately, people have said they dislike this thread because it has too much discussion, but then when viewing pictures in the other thread can't help themselves but commenting and starting discussions.

Reactions: cizUK and ikjadoon
We don't have the time to keep moving things back and forth. People post pictures with comments. I don't think we can have a pure pictures only thread, and another discussion only thread.

To avoid this split between the two threads, I am just going to close/lock this one. Please put any future pictures and discussions to the other thread:
Model 3 RC sightings

Status
Not open for further replies.