Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 refresh leaked? (with picture) [posted 04.12.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that the current M3 front looks bad, if that's the new "Highland" front end, I like it though it's a subtle change. And I am sure that's not USS under the front headlight, way too large and that is where the tow hook is now...

I'm torn on this. The new headlights, on their own, look nice, but they don't look proportional to the front-end dimensions. It makes the nose look too long.

They also somehow convey Tesla design language, while simultaneously making the M3 look extremely generic. If this is real I guess I have to see one in person before passing judgement entirely, but this photo doesn't blow me away or make me super excited about the look.

Reactions: Olle
Ultrasonics *should* be gone forever. They are a crude and clumsy way of measuring distances and detecting objects within a pathetically limited range. Humans, falcons and missiles do it optically with fantastic accuracy, and could do even better with radar. And yes, bats and submarines do OK with sonar, but not compared to an 8-eyed falcon with omnidirectional lighting, HD radar, and cloudsourced intelligence.

Don't get me wrong, the 'tool' who decided to retool current production models and remove USS with absolutely no viable plan to replace the functionality was one of the worst interns Tesla has ever put in charge of vehicle design and hopefully will not be invited back next summer. But all the rumors of HW4, front bumper cameras, and HD radar suggest that Tesla might be on the right track, and that track most certainly should not include stupid USS sensors.

• Disagree
Reactions: XPsionic
Ultrasonics *should* be gone forever. They are a crude and clumsy way of measuring distances and detecting objects within a pathetically limited range. Humans, falcons and missiles do it optically with fantastic accuracy, and could do even better with radar. And yes, bats and submarines do OK with sonar, but not compared to an 8-eyed falcon with omnidirectional lighting, HD radar, and cloudsourced intelligence.

Don't get me wrong, the 'tool' who decided to retool current production models and remove USS with absolutely no viable plan to replace the functionality was one of the worst interns Tesla has ever put in charge of vehicle design and hopefully will not be invited back next summer. But all the rumors of HW4, front bumper cameras, and HD radar suggest that Tesla might be on the right track, and that track most certainly should not include stupid USS sensors.
No better way to ensure forward momentum success than burning bridges you just crossed. This will ensure you will not go back.

just sucks for the hundreds of thousands cars being built "in between" ... no HW4 and extra front cameras but also no USS ....

Reactions: XPsionic

Humans are generally terrible at judging distances visually which is why USS were added to cars in the first place. The typical driver on the road does not have the distance-measuring acuity of a falcon or a missile… more like a potato.

You're telling me that you can't walk thru your garage without running into walls?
Oh we could walk through the garage without running into walls, but Tesla vision can't, lol. Can't even see a big red garbage bin in reverse where there's a bumper camera, or a person directly behind the car.

Maybe some day vision parking wouldn't be complete s***, that day isn't today. Let's not even get into the problem of no front bumper camera, which means something like at least half a million Teslas will NEVER have a chance of seeing anything in front of it that the windshield camera can't. You're also assuming HW4 will come with a front bumper camera, which is pure speculation and not supported by latest Model S/X release nor this spy shot of project Highland.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I'm not sure what you're arguing @XPsionic. Everyone knows and agrees that USS deletion was botched, as I also noted.

This is about Highland, not 1st gen losing USS or some Model S update that came out years ago. There is overwhelming evidence to suggest that Tesla is updating the computer for some models (HW4 or beyond), implementing HD radar in some models, and considering bumper cameras for some models (as seen on CT and HW4). There is even something round in the Highland grille which could correspond to the Left/Right camera labeling found by Greentheonly. So it's certainly possible that Highland could launch with a fully functional parking assistance system, and if so, it will likely outperform USS which can't deal with curbs, cross traffic, obstacles alongside the car, etc.

Recall that ultrasonics are not much better than just duct-taping a theremin to your bumper. All they do is make weird noises when you wave your hands over them and they were popular on fossil cars because they don't need any kind of computer. Just some diodes and a few hundred feet of wiring. Radar should be capable of vastly outperforming sonar, and vision should be often capable of outperforming either.

None of us know what hardware Tesla plans to include (other than not USS) and they certainly have a well-deserved reputation for botching technology transitions like this. But their apparent long-term goal of vision replacing ultrasonic is sensible, especially if it also includes radar.

1681439770355-png.928235

View attachment 928892

calll me crazy, but I think the M3's headlight design elements are one of the best looking in the biz.... the new one just doesnt look good in that render to me at all
I definitely agree, the new design just doesn't match the body shapes and lines of the hood the way the current one does. But the current design also makes the Y look like a frog from the front, so....

Reactions: texas_star_TM3