Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Woodpecker noise from dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@musculobog Just got an update this morning that my car is ready for pickup. As per the tech notes, everything is working normal. Here is what was said on the notes:
Mine was ticking like 2 times at a time and then stopped; then it started ticking more and more, now it does like 20 times before it stops. I made a service appointment and VOILA! It stopped! No more ticking for 2 days now! I swear these bloody cars know when you want to take them to the mechanic and put a pause on the problem. It would have been very convenient for me to repair it now but I can't take it to the service when it does no ticking whatsoever, they`ll say I`m waisting their time for nothing. I have spoken with other owners with the ticking and they said it gets worse and one day the heating stops working. Would be awesome to have it die in 2 weeks and go 400 km to the service without heating at -10 Celsius. Now I`m praying it comes back until Friday for the appointment.

Mine was ticking like 2 times at a time and then stopped; then it started ticking more and more, now it does like 20 times before it stops. I made a service appointment and VOILA! It stopped! No more ticking for 2 days now! I swear these bloody cars know when you want to take them to the mechanic and put a pause on the problem. It would have been very convenient for me to repair it now but I can't take it to the service when it does no ticking whatsoever, they`ll say I`m waisting their time for nothing. I have spoken with other owners with the ticking and they said it gets worse and one day the heating stops working. Would be awesome to have it die in 2 weeks and go 400 km to the service without heating at -10 Celsius. Now I`m praying it comes back until Friday for the appointment.
haha go figure it stops. I was happy they were able to reproduce the noise, but annoying at the same time that they said everything is working as it should. I guess i'll just monitor it for now. If the heat pump does eventually fail out of the blue, the silver lining for me is that the service center is only 10 minutes down the road from my house so I'm pretty lucky in that aspect, but regardless, I'd rather not deal with it one day failing in mid winter. I guess we now wait and see what happens.

@musculobog did you have your appointment? Any luck?

Hey,
No because it stopped making any sound so I didnt want to go there and look like a fool :) . But guess what! The ticking is back today! I decided to wait until something fails for good...
ugh that sucks!

yea mine is still ticking, and today it seemed like the heat was just blowing cool air which was odd, then turned it to high, and got warm again, so i'm gonna keep an eye on that for sure.

ugh that sucks!

yea mine is still ticking, and today it seemed like the heat was just blowing cool air which was odd, then turned it to high, and got warm again, so i'm gonna keep an eye on that for sure.
Hello everyone, new here. Have a new rwd 2023 model y, thats 3 weeks old, and am in the Toronto Canada area. I am also hearing this woodpecker sound that comes and goes. The sound seems to be coming from the driver's side, while inside the cabin, and while the heat is on.
Its intermittent, but its driving me nuts. Has anyone heard anything from Tesla about this specifically? Any help is appreciated. Thanks...

Hello everyone, new here. Have a new rwd 2023 model y, thats 3 weeks old, and am in the Toronto Canada area. I am also hearing this woodpecker sound that comes and goes. The sound seems to be coming from the driver's side, while inside the cabin, and while the heat is on.
Its intermittent, but its driving me nuts. Has anyone heard anything from Tesla about this specifically? Any help is appreciated. Thanks...
I took it in last year and was able to replicate it for the techs. They had no idea. They looked over everything and claimed all was working as it should. The sound still happens for me all the time, but only when running the heat. (never had the issue this spring and summer)

Nothing has failed *yet* so I plan on just ignoring it unless it somehow get's worse.

I had this issue on my old model 3 and I believe it’s due to the plastic creaking as it heats up. I removed the dash and removed any loose stickers from the manufacturing process and put down some foam tape to make the fit tighter so it couldn’t flex as much as the plastic heated up. Seemed to help for me except when it had been sitting it very cold temps and then blasting defrost.

I took it in last year and was able to replicate it for the techs. They had no idea. They looked over everything and claimed all was working as it should. The sound still happens for me all the time, but only when running the heat. (never had the issue this spring and summer)

Nothing has failed *yet* so I plan on just ignoring it unless it somehow get's worse.
Its good to hear its nothing really serious as of yet, but get this, I booked a service appointment with Tesla via the app for next week and uploaded some videos I took of the sound, and after about a day the sound has disappeared. It did it everyday for three weeks on and off. Now not sure if I should still go to the appointment. Very weird. 🤔