Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what you are saying and totally agree. Lack of attention to design detail. I also don't like that the break line on the charging port (or whatever it is) does not line up with the rear fascia seam below it. Lack of attention to design detail.
I don't agree that it is lack of attention to detail, at least in regards to the trunk line with the trim. If it lined up with the point of the chrome trim, I believe the concern could possibly be the trunk corner could catch the trim when opening.

It also may be for slight aerodynamic concerns. If it was lower, maybe there would be more drag. Since it is up slightly higher, it might be slightly out of the airflow as the air is passing over the roof.

All design choices are done for a reason and sometimes aesthetics are compromised because of manufacturing and other competing requirements.

In this image it looks like the fender join line is on the side of the car, and crosses behind the red light lens into the trunk lid join line:

View attachment 226635

But in this photo, the fender join line is on the rear of the car, aligning with the edge of the flat face of the red lens:

View attachment 226636
Top picture was just computer rendering, so wouldn't put too much into the level of detail.

I see what you are saying and totally agree. Lack of attention to design detail. I also don't like that the break line on the charging port (or whatever it is) does not line up with the rear fascia seam below it. Lack of attention to design detail.
If they made the trunk lid and the window trim line up you would have either a smaller window or a smaller lid.

What's wrong with the lines not lining up? What's the complaint?
Nothing, just people's OCD. I'm OCD with the best of them, but these "issues" really don't bother me. Yeah, the line in the taillight for the presumed charge port door (and mirrored to the passenger side) is slightly odd and looks bit weird and doesn't quite "flow" with the bumper fascia and fender panel, but don't see how it could improved without significant panel changes, which affects tooling and dies.

Nothing, just people's OCD. I'm OCD with the best of them, but these "issues" really don't bother me. Yeah, the line in the taillight for the presumed charge port door (and mirrored to the passenger side) is slightly odd and looks bit weird and doesn't quite "flow" with the bumper fascia and fender panel, but don't see how it could improved without significant panel changes, which affects tooling and dies.
hmmmm. Looks just fine to me.

If they made the trunk lid and the window trim line up you would have either a smaller window or a smaller lid.
They are just suggesting to move the upper seam down couple inches (centimeters for you metric people :p) so it lines up with the point of the trim on the C pillar. Yes, lid is smaller but insignificant amount. Don't see how that would impact window size.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
I don't believe that is a sensor. I think it is just a sticker of some sort. Even when this first appeared on the black car, I believe it was never a sensor.
It looks like something is behind the glass in this shot.

upload_2017-5-12_12-5-25.png

They are just suggesting to move the upper seam down couple inches (centimeters for you metric people :p) so it lines up with the point of the trim on the C pillar. Yes, lid is smaller but insignificant amount. Don't see how that would impact window size.
The other way is to move the window line up, which would make the window smaller.

Personally, I don't think that line is important (as others noted it was that way from the beginning) and Tesla must have their reasons for doing it.

New video posted on Electrek today

The brake light section in the taillight looks like it also serves as the turn signal

I noticed that as well. I've never been a fan of red turn signals in the rear (amber signals are much safer and should be required, in my opinion) and even worse that it extinguishes one of the brake lights if you're signaling...

There seems to be some confusion about what I and others are referring to with regards to the seam lines and top of trunk opening. Here is my quick and dirty attempt to display what we are referring to. Yes, it is a lack of attention to design. The outer edge of the tail light would have to be realigned to work with the new break line for the "charging door." However, there may be manufacturing, engineering, and technical reasons for this resolution that I am unaware of. It is not OCD, it is a lifelong career as a design professional and getting paid a lot of money to resolve the details. Yes, it may be inconsequential and unnoticeable to most but it is sloppy design. No, it is not a deal breaker for me, just irritating.

18381988_218688548626716_1446343010160738304_n.jpg

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: J1mbo and Topher
There seems to be some confusion about what I and others are referring to with regards to the seam lines and top of trunk opening. Here is my crude attempt to display what we are referring to. Yes, it is a lack of attention to design detail and I am speaking as a design professional. Yes, it may be inconsequential and unnoticeable to most but it is sloppy design. No, it is not a deal breaker for me, just irritating.

View attachment 226655
Well given that there were complaints about the trunk opening, I'm pretty sure lining up the joint line wasn't one of their concerns.
Function over design wins where it needs to - this was one place it needed to.

The other way is to move the window line up, which would make the window smaller.

Personally, I don't think that line is important (as others noted it was that way from the beginning) and Tesla must have their reasons for doing it.
Okay, I assumed meant the rear glass being made smaller, not the small quarter window behind the door. I understand now.

There seems to be some confusion about what I and others are referring to with regards to the seam lines and top of trunk opening. Here is my crude attempt to display what we are referring to. Yes, it is a lack of attention to design detail and I am speaking as a design professional. Yes, it may be inconsequential and unnoticeable to most but it is sloppy design. No, it is not a deal breaker for me, just irritating.

View attachment 226655
Neither of these 2 issues are a deal breaker to me.

The reason I stagger my picture frames on the wall is so that it never looks like they are not lined up properly.
upload_2017-5-12_12-36-8.png

Maybe Tesla should stagger all of the seams. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.