Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 : No Sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

I am new to the group and somewhat new to owning a Tesla(just under 2 months with my Model 3).

I have had this one issue happen to me multiple times and can’t really figure out the reason as to why it happens or how I end up fixing it.

The issue is that I get into the car and there is no sound at all. Radio, phone calls, signals, warning sounds, nothing works. I have tried multiple things when it happens to fix it. I do the reset with the two buttons on the steering wheel, I use the reset when holding the break, I even leave the car, let it lock, then come back to it. Somewhere along doing all of this it ends up working again.

Has anyone else run into this issue? If so have you found a way to fix it?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, this is a common issue and has been discussed on "dozens" of threads here. The fix consists of:
  • Enjoy the quiet drive whenever it happens
  • If you really need audio (phone call, etc...), pull off the road, put the car in park, navigate on the center screen and select "Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off" (page 44 in the manual), wait 30 seconds, press the brake to wake the car up. Powering down and restarting is usually enough to get the audio to be restored.
  • Wait for a software update to fix the intermittent bug

Yes, this is a common issue and has been discussed on "dozens" of threads here. The fix consists of:
  • Enjoy the quiet drive whenever it happens
  • If you really need audio (phone call, etc...), pull off the road, put the car in park, navigate on the center screen and select "Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off" (page 44 in the manual), wait 30 seconds, press the brake to wake the car up. Powering down and restarting is usually enough to get the audio to be restored.
  • Wait for a software update to fix the intermittent bug
Thank you so much. I appreciate the help!

Hi there,

I am new to the group and somewhat new to owning a Tesla(just under 2 months with my Model 3).

I have had this one issue happen to me multiple times and can’t really figure out the reason as to why it happens or how I end up fixing it.

The issue is that I get into the car and there is no sound at all. Radio, phone calls, signals, warning sounds, nothing works. I have tried multiple things when it happens to fix it. I do the reset with the two buttons on the steering wheel, I use the reset when holding the break, I even leave the car, let it lock, then come back to it. Somewhere along doing all of this it ends up working again.

Thanks for the help!

Had this happen today. I did a hard reset (hold down both buttons on wheel and foot on brake) and it was fixed once it restarted.

This happened to me today. It was a bummer of a drive home from work. The “Tesla-Siri” mic doesn’t work either (couldn’t do a bug report). Did two rolling hard-restarts, and another one in the garage once reaching home. No dice. Thanks Moose408 for that exit - re-enter, as that did the trick.

Reactions: Moose408
I can also solve it every time by just getting out of the car and getting back in. For me it almost seems like it is a 50/50 split where every odd numbered time I get in the car it happens.

Sometimes the sound won't work when I initially get into the car but if I sit down and don't press the brake pedal the sound will come on after 5 seconds if I wait. But not always though. Restarting by holding down the two steering wheel buttons never fixes it.

The car is pretty much perfect for me otherwise, which makes this bug incredibly annoying.

Reactions: Brian C M3D
I can also solve it every time by just getting out of the car and getting back in. For me it almost seems like it is a 50/50 split where every odd numbered time I get in the car it happens.

Sometimes the sound won't work when I initially get into the car but if I sit down and don't press the brake pedal the sound will come on after 5 seconds if I wait. But not always though. Restarting by holding down the two steering wheel buttons never fixes it.

The car is pretty much perfect for me otherwise, which makes this bug incredibly annoying.

I completely agree.

I agree though, the hard reset has never fixed it. I do feel like getting in and back out of the car is the only thing that really works.

Tesla is definitely aware. I have an open bug report for the no audio/black screen issue that was kicked up to advanced support. I get an email every week or two asking if what they did fixed it (it did not). I seem to get car software updated sooner now than in the past, maybe i'm on some list of "see if the new update fixed it'. The menu reset works for me every time, the double wheel button reset does not. I'll try the 'get out and in again' next time. It's very weird having silent blinkers.

For those experiencing issues where everything works except the microphone (i.e. can't make bug reports, etc) i'd be interested to know if you have a bluetooth watch. Over time i have found if i have the issue, put my watch in airplane mode (apple watch, iPhone 8). Fixes it half the time within 2 seconds. If that doesn't work, often cycling wifi off and on on my phone itself works. the engineers tell me they can see something weird in the behavior of the car for sure, not just my imagination. Bug reports are critical because it flags something internally that lets the engineers look it up very quickly later.

Reactions: commasign
I just got the wonderful no sound “update” too on my Model 3. Been two days and I tried the resets and power down options at least a dozen times each without success. I emailed my service center to see if they can send me another software update and I also messaged my local mobile service since they are coming to fix my horn issue on my 3 in a couple of weeks. I hope sound comes back before mobile service gets here.

Hi there,

Thanks for the help!
One fix might be, in some instances, to turn the volume up. I’ve done that more than once myself!