Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 not moving after tire change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird question. I tried searching the sub but couldn't find anything.

I called Canadian Tire this morning to purchase a set of Michellin X-Ice SNOW for my Model 3 and to book an appointment to get them put on my Aero rims. The guy on the phone said they have had bad experience doing Teslas before.

He told me they tried switching out tires for a Tesla last year and when they finished the car refused to move. Couldn't be put into drive or reverse. He said that they took the new tires off and switched them back to the old ones and it worked fine.

So he said they were happy to try, but that was the only experience where they've tried to do a Tesla.

Does anyone know why this would've happened? Is it a setting that has to be changed after the fact in the service screen?

Normally I'd just go somewhere else, but the X-Ice are literally $100 cheaper per tire at Canadian Tire when compared to Midas or Kal-Tire.

But is Canadian Tire really the best place to get this done? Do they know how to use the jack pads for example?

I wouldn’t take my car in there if you paid me. Not a chance. I’ve used Costco multiple times with my Tesla and they’ve never had an issue, they even have some jack pads.

Almost certainly CT did something dumb, which doesn’t surprise me from looking at the way the one near me runs - it’s obvious they’re all about cheap and fast. Maybe yours is different but be aware that the stuff you sign very likely waives all responsibility on their part if they do damage your car. Not worth saving a couple of hundred bucks.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I once helped a lady in a parking lot with her ICE vehicle - she couldn't undo the nut; I had to basically almost jump on the wrench to get it started, and I outweighed her by well over 100lb. And I have broken the bolts on my Camry Hybrid trying to undo them... Toyota has capped nuts (steel cover over nut) and I have a socket with the steel cap stuck in the socket.

Weird question. I tried searching the sub but couldn't find anything.

I called Canadian Tire this morning to purchase a set of Michellin X-Ice SNOW for my Model 3 and to book an appointment to get them put on my Aero rims. The guy on the phone said they have had bad experience doing Teslas before.

He told me they tried switching out tires for a Tesla last year and when they finished the car refused to move. Couldn't be put into drive or reverse. He said that they took the new tires off and switched them back to the old ones and it worked fine.

So he said they were happy to try, but that was the only experience where they've tried to do a Tesla.

Does anyone know why this would've happened? Is it a setting that has to be changed after the fact in the service screen?

Normally I'd just go somewhere else, but the X-Ice are literally $100 cheaper per tire at Canadian Tire when compared to Midas or Kal-Tire.

Kal will match CT as long as the tire is in stock/available in their warehouse, at least that's what my local Kal does.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe