Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Notchback Trunk - Deal-Killer?

If the Model 3 Is Notchback-only, Will you still buy?

• Yes. I'm all-in, and the cargo utility is a secondary concern

Votes: 267 65.6%
  • No. This is a big letdown. Hoping for Model S-style Liftback

Votes: 62 15.2%
  • Will probably wait for Model Y crossover variant

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • I still think Musk has a surprise up his sleeve. Might not be just a notchback

Votes: 55 13.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also would prefer a lift back design for practicality. But this is NOT a deal breaker for me.

My main reason for reserving and eventually buying a Model 3 is the fact that I will no longer be paying for gasoline. And no longer be held hostage by the oil corporations. And not adding CO2 to the air, etc. That's reason enough to me.

Reactions: Mihai75
Are you kidding you somehow think that 1/4 inch glass insulates against heat as well as a 4 inch barrier with steel and insulation. Have you had a solid roof? Because you can feel the heat coming through putting your hand near the roof you don't feel that in a solid roof.
Do you have a panoramic roof? have you read about the technology Tesla uses in the panoramic glass? And FYI the solid roof in Model S isn't steel o_O

Do you have a panoramic roof? have you read about the technology Tesla uses in the panoramic glass? And FYI the solid roof in Model S isn't steel o_O

Neighbour does and I have taken many trips in it I know it is not steel it is aluminum which dissipates heat even better than steel. The R value on glass is never going to be as good as a solid object not in today's technology. Imagine if your house was filled with skylights it would be insanely hot. The best Windows for houses still let in more heat than the solid parts of the house. The solid roof reflects the sun the glass roof lets it in if you don't understand that then I don't know what to say lol.

Not going to happen. Elon has just confirmed that the current design is to improve headroom for the rear passenger.

Elon Musk on Twitter
Yeah, as I mentioned, based on the chassis model shown in the presentation, it is unlikely there will be a surprise hatchback version of the Model 3 in "part 2" unveiling. This type of comment confirms it. However, I do hope they make the trunk opening larger.

Reactions: igotzzoom
FYI...looks like the rear seats will fold down.
Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 3.42.09 PM.png

Reactions: doublejj
Maybe the back seats fold down and there is a pass through

That's right, but there is a fixed horizontal metal shelf under the rear windows
limiting the trunk volume even if the back seat is folded down.

For example, you will not be able to put a dog box,
and inserting a bicycle will be a very difficult task.

Having a hatch like the Model S would have been much more practical.
I think this will be a deterrent for many people, especially in Europe where the majority of car are midsize hatchback..

12_suspension_frunk-png.170228

9_trunk-png.170224

Reactions: dctrombly
I think:

* Roadster is just sporty for a driver and passenger, and even owners report trouble getting in and out as drivers.

* Model S is just for two adults in front and two very small people (children or adults) in middle row, and small children in back with optional rear facing seats. Model S is relatively easy to get in and out of in front seats.

* Model X is for two normal sized adults in front, two smaller sized adults in middle row or three not-large children (perfect for growing family), and one slight adult and one to two not-large children in rear, possibly one full sized adult/large child in rear if a captains' chair (6 seater) model so can stick legs forward between seats. Model X is very easy to get in and out of in front seats.

* Model 3 is trying to make this a more practical seating arrangement by making 5 adult-sized seats, something that basically the other 3 models Tesla has released have struggled to do. I think the Model 3 might even be better than the Model S, and maybe even better than the Model X, for 5 large adults. But, proof is in the pudding. I'd still like to know more, both about the Model 3 and the Model X, which I haven't spent a lot of sitting time in in the rear two rows, due to limited availability.

I used to commute in the rear of a small BMW as a 13 year old teenager. It was MISERABLE. I always hated that car. Being stuck in a car with bad room for me even as a child was AWFUL. I have never bought a small car since then, and yet, the large car I own now still has miserable back seat room. I applaud any effort given to fixing the rear seat problem. And since Tesla is trying to go to a much huger market, solving this problem of size for a large percentage of the population is a really good thing.

...Model S is just for two adults in front and two very small people (children or adults) in middle row, and small children in back with optional rear facing seats. Model S is relatively easy to get in and out of in front seats....

That part of your statement is surprising.
Model S has plenty of room for 2 to 3 adults in the back...I'm quite sure it has more room than the model 3 will ever have.
For example, I'm sure the 3 won't be as large and doubt the cockpit could be any longer than the S.

Half of the cars I have ever owned have been hatch-backs and I love them. That being said I have since realized that for many tasks, if you are part of a multi-car household, it is worth it to have one of the other cars be a SUV or truck. Now having an X and a 3 in the garage would be quite the collection.

A bit of hyperbole from EM, I think. There's no way a conventional trunk is better for camping, bikes and hauling bulky/awkward items than a hatchback. Unless the rear doors open up a full 90 degrees, and the rear seats do some pretty epic configuration gymnastics.
He didn't say it would be better. He said it would be able to fold the seats down and would be fine for sleeping in.

Reactions: doublejj
As an European (from Munich) I hope for a hatchback in the future, therefore I am dissapointed. As beautiful as the design is, i need the versatility. And headroom on the backseats is not so important for me, as in most cases only 1-2 persons are in my car. I could live with all, even no speedometer, but not with this little trunk opening.
BTW: I estimate about 80% of my neighbours have also hatchbacks or SUVs.

Reactions: dctrombly
As an European (from Munich) I hope for a hatchback in the future, therefore I am dissapointed. .....
BTW: I estimate about 80% of my neighbours have also hatchbacks or SUVs.

European's love of hatchbacks and wagons are well known.
Inexplicably, hatchbacks and particularly wagons simply don't sell in US.

As of the end of 2014, Europe accounts for 17% of Tesla sales, Asia 20%, while North America is 62%.
So you can understand why Tesla would choose a sedan version as the first model for Model 3.