Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Notchback Trunk - Deal-Killer?

If the Model 3 Is Notchback-only, Will you still buy?

• Yes. I'm all-in, and the cargo utility is a secondary concern

Votes: 267 65.6%
  • No. This is a big letdown. Hoping for Model S-style Liftback

Votes: 62 15.2%
  • Will probably wait for Model Y crossover variant

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • I still think Musk has a surprise up his sleeve. Might not be just a notchback

Votes: 55 13.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on photos that have come out of the reveal event, it's looking more and more likely that the 3, or at least initial iterations of it, are going to be conventional notchbacks. I don't know about you, but this is a huge letdown for me. I was really hoping for a liftback like the Model S, and the roofline certainly suggested one. I'm going to keep my reservation for now, but this does change my purchase consideration somewhat.

I have a bit of difficulty getting into Sedans. The hatchbacks of old were very tight. Can anyone describe how a big guy gets in and out of the M3? The Reveal drivers exited the cars just off camera - but they looked like big guys. Any reporters that got rides --any effort at entry/exit? Tesla prototype drivers - how do you fold your head under the roof?

Very close to a deal killer for me.
Elon tweeted about making the rear trunk opening bigger. I hope he remembers. Very disappointed it's not a hatchback as the shape of the rear glass is not that different to the S. So there could be a break in the roof behind the headrests. But Elon tweeted it won't be a hatchback - they're copying the BMW 3 and Audi A3 model shape too closely... and they're liftgate's.
I liked the comment "I ride a bike - not a surfboard" - make that opening bigger Elon !

Reactions: pmich80
LtMK4Q2.jpg

Very close to a deal killer for me.
Elon tweeted about making the rear trunk opening bigger. I hope he remembers. Very disappointed it's not a hatchback as the shape of the rear glass is not that different to the S. So there could be a break in the roof behind the headrests.

No, there won't be a break in the rear glass. They could make the opening slightly larger by lowering the bumper or widening the side of the trunk opening. But they won't make the glass "liftable".

The trunk could easily be increased by 2ft in diagonal height whilst keeping the glass roof. Have the glass come down to just behind the rear passengers. Almost a liftback then. Someone with better photoshopping skills could do this properly on both an open and closed trunk image then tweet Elon it. :)

You could get a washing machine in this then. It would be massive.

View attachment 170784
This seems so obvious and simple to have implemented from the start. It's frustrating and annoying that people are excusing Tesla's lack of interest in practicality when they could've transferred the hatch design of the S in the 3. Raise the joint beam to behind the rear passengers' heads on the ceiling, give us a more practical vehicle.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
This seems so obvious and simple to have implemented from the start. It's frustrating and annoying that people are excusing Tesla's lack of interest in practicality when they could've transferred the hatch design of the S in the 3. Raise the joint beam to behind the rear passengers' heads on the ceiling, give us a more practice vehicle.

And this results in zero visibility on your rear view mirror! Plus it would look extremely ugly and awkward.
Please give Tesla designers & engineers some credits. I am sure they have gone through all the possibilities before deciding on this.

It is easy for us armchair critics to say they should have done this and that. But for them, they have tons of things to consider and worry about.

And this results in zero visibility on your rear view mirror! Plus it would look extremely ugly and awkward.
Please give Tesla designers & engineers some credits. I am sure they have gone through all the possibilities before deciding on this.

It is easy for us armchair critics to say they should have done this and that. But for them, they have tons of things to consider and worry about.
I'm confused why you claim that making a hatchback sedan would hinder visibility. Simply look at the Model S, their own vehicle. 3 could've done this. Glass stops behind the rear passengers, and just continue another separate piece of glass there going forward.
tesla-model-s-hatch-open.jpg

Yeah, that seems to go right through where the rear view mirror would be pointed. And it would require both the bottom half for the lid and the upper half have glass in a split rear window (which I'm not sure any vehicle does this; a pano-roof is close but not really the same thing).

The easiest way would be to have the beam right over the head (like Model S), but Tesla chose not to do that in order to improve rear headroom.

Last edited:
I'm confused why you claim that making a hatchback sedan would hinder visibility. Simply look at the Model S, their own vehicle. 3 could've done this. Glass stops behind the rear passengers, and just continue another separate piece of glass there going forward.
The suggestion you quoted was different from the S. The suggestion (in blue) would have had a beam going across, right where rear visibility would be compromised (and in reality the beam would have to be much thicker than indicated). The advantage however is that it doesn't intrude on rear headroom.

I added the line in red that approximates what the Model S equivalent would be. The problem with the Model S design was that the beam intruded in rear headroom (which is why Tesla abandoned the liftback design for Model 3).
3 roof b.jpg

Just get the optional tow hitch and a bike rack like this Roadster owner did

Most people who want a big trunk opening want it to weatherproof their items. I think why hatchbacks are so popular in the UK. Also far more streamlined to put stuff in the car than to have it on the back. There's a reason people can only do about 20mph on a mountainbike and resistance increases with the square of velocity!
Other items I put in my hatchback. Odd bit of furniture. A relative here died and we inherited a desk... Wont fit in the 3. Would fit in a Vauxhall Astra or any other hatchback. Go to a big box store. Take some plastic tubs of leaves / branches / etc to the tip... gonna be struggling in this car. Take the old tv to the tip. Buy big items from a DIY store. Going on holiday - pile stuff up to level with the rear headrests... much easier in the 3... it's not like Tesla dont know how to - they did it in the S.
BUT if Tesla wants to keep a premium feel of the S - then that's the option - extra $35,000 gets you a bigger car with a convenient boot.

Most people who want a big trunk opening want it to weatherproof their items.

A few weeks ago I took a trip with my folks. We used a luggage rack mounted on their tow hitch with a weatherproof bag. Nothing got wet despite the heavy rain and snow that occurred during the drive to/from Wisconsin. Likewise for the few times you're going to hauling larger items, like a said desk, just use a small trailer.

IMG_7010.jpg

The Model 3 "trunk" thing is def a deal killer for me, not that I would spend 40k on a car (ill buy used at auction for 9k or so)
I was absolutely flabbergasted when I saw the trunk open, what a way to destroy an otherwise awesome car

What if they just made the panels behind the rear seats removable? Then, if the rear opening is wide enough, you have a lot of the versatility of a hatchback but don't have to compromise on the current roof design. This would also solve the problem for many dog owners (like myself) who need a back seat for kids, and a truck that is open to the car for the dog.

model3%20option.png