Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 odd sleep / wake behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y'all. I've been using Teslafi for almost 2 years now and have never had a sleep issue. Up until August 28th/29th that is. Previously my car would sleep and stay asleep for hours upon hours until I actually approached and opened the door.

A few days ago, I've been noticing some really odd behavior in teslafi. The car will go to sleep, and sleep for about 30 or 40 minutes, then wake up for about 15 minutes, go back to sleep for about 20 or so and wake up, and this pattern repeats all day. The time is random, sometimes its only in sleep/wake for 10 to 15 minutes, others it could be an hour or 2. Here's what it looks like sometimes: TeslaFi 2022-09-05 at 1.52.31 AM

I am only using Teslafi for data logging, and have never seen this before. I've changed my password on Tesla.com, refreshed my tokens and everything. I've also tried rebooting the cars computer and force closing the app on my phone and nothing seems to correct it.

Mine has been doing this too the last several days, but I don't use TeslaFi. From my Eero setup I can see that the car has been uploading a lot more data than normal. Most days look like 9/1 with very little data changing hands unless there's a software update, like on 9/2 when I went to 2022.24.6. I don't have FSD.

Attachments

• IMG_3902.jpeg
    IMG_3902.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
There is another thread on this same issue. Bottom line, if you shut off your phone or go to airplane mode the car will probably sleep. I have a service request today put in and Tesla called me with a couple of hours. They were convinced it was a third party app. I only had one - Watch for Tesla - and when it was totally removed from my phone and watch no affect. I then removed the data reporting module I had attached to the battery which had been working like TeslaFi showing smooth occasional wake ups and charging. Until IOS app 4.12.0. Then they behavior you specify. I notified all apps (removed phone restarted and logged out and back into Tesla app each time) still no affect. They were going to check back in the morning to see if any changes. One thesis - the app is pinging the car looking for tire pressures but the cars software has not been updated yet. I am recommending everyone who sees this behavior do a service request. Mobile was a option given and they called be within 3 hours. In my service request, I noted all behavior and was requesting the information be forwarded to the app team.

Submit a service request. If mobile is an option chose that. Pick a date out a bit. I've been going back and forth with Tesla trying different things. They want to eliminate everything before they forward to App makers. Last 2 things they tried was disconnect the wall charger (that wasn't it BTW it's a Tesla Gen 3 charger). Remove my 1TB drive for Sentry. They wanted a 256 but I advised that the FSDBeta wont format bigger than 128. I can format my 1TB in my Y that does not have FSD no problem.

Tesla's response to this sort of thing is a bit irritating in my experience.

They naturally say that you need to disable all third party monitoring/tools, which is fair enough, except at that point you basically can't tell if the car is awake or not without standing next to it and hearing the contactors or the slight whirring noise it makes when awake. Opening the Tesla app, as we all know, wakes the car up if its asleep.

I'm hoping they fix this problem sooner rather than later, because I honestly don't have the mana to open a service request to tell them that "my car keeps waking up for no reason". They'll first tell me that it's normal and it will do that if it needs to do things, and if I push it they'll ask for dates and times that it woke up, and even after I provide that I'm sure they'll just revert to telling me that the car looks after itself and will wake up as and when needed to do... things, and then close my service request.

For what it's worth I've been plagued by random wakeups every few hours since installing a recent app update on my iPhone. Eventually I got irritated enough that I deleted the app from my phone entirely. After doing that, the car slept for 36 hours before I decided to wake it up to do an update to 2022.24.6. After updating the car, and reinstalling the app again, I'm back to the car waking up for no reason again.

random-wakeups.png

I don't know if this is a problem that only blights iPhone users or not. I've not heard of an Android owner having problems so far.

Last edited:
Tesla's response to this sort of thing is a bit irritating in my experience.

They naturally say that you need to disable all third party monitoring/tools, which is fair enough, except at that point you basically can't tell if the car is awake or not without standing next to it and hearing the contactors or the slight whirring noise it makes when awake. Opening the Tesla app, as we all know, wakes the car up if its asleep.

I'm hoping they fix this problem sooner rather than later, because I honestly don't have the mana to open a service request to tell them that "my car keeps waking up for no reason". They'll first tell me that it's normal and it will do that if it needs to do things, and if I push it they'll ask for dates and times that it woke up, and even after I provide that I'm sure they'll just revert to telling me that the car looks after itself and will wake up as and when needed to do... things, and then close my service request.

For what it's worth I've been plagued by random wakeups every few hours since installing a recent app update on my iPhone. Eventually I got irritated enough that I deleted the app from my phone entirely. After doing that, the car slept for 36 hours before I decided to wake it up to do an update to 2022.24.6. After updating the car, and reinstalling the app again, I'm back to the car waking up for no reason again.

View attachment 850718

I don't know if this is a problem that only blights iPhone users or not. I've not heard of an Android owner having problems so far.
I have another thread on this. It started with IOS app 4.12.0 and continues with 4.12.1. I finally opened a service request and actually was contacted by phone within about 2 hours. In my submission I had graphs and timing of waking and sleeping and could directly pin it to the app as when the phone was in airplane or off the cycles stopped. First they blamed third party app. Only had one and removed it. No change. Then I removed my battery module that records all the wake cycles but kept the graphs (see other posts) No change. Then they had me disconnect wall charger . No change. Then I had to remove Sentry drive (1TB). No change. Finally they advanced to the app team. Within minutes text messages poured in. Where did I get the graphs? How did you monitor etc. The graphical data drove the point home and I had logged the sleep wake timing. Next they had me close the app (not just site out of the way but close so you get the warning. No change. then they asked me to leave phone on over night with app closed and bluetooth off. I think that did it. They wanted to car off overnight. I waited until 11 the next day woke it up and after about 30 minutes the car shut down for 30 seconds this time than back on. Currently I am waiting for first sleep cycle after short drive to time the sleep and awake. The app is already closed then I will turn of blue tooth again. Bluetooth may be the core issue. It is the app but the more service requests the better. I made it clear I was not the only one and many only seeing same thing.

Try this - close app so banner says not running in background AND turn off bluetooth. That finally stopped the cycles. I have notified Tesla and the more people that open service requests with similar information helps them get this fixed. Something in IOS 4.12.0 (or .1) even thought the app is off interacts with Bluetooth to wake car on a cycle.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Try this - close app so banner says not running in background AND turn off bluetooth. That finally stopped the cycles. I have notified Tesla and the more people that open service requests with similar information helps them get this fixed. Something in IOS 4.12.0 (or .1) even thought the app is off interacts with Bluetooth to wake car on a cycle.
This is good progress! Thanks for sharing. Does it get resolved with Bluetooth turned back on later, or only while it’s off?

Another data point.

I’ve had Bluetooth disabled on my phone since last night, car has been asleep 17 hours as a consequence.

I’m about 25 miles away from my car at the moment, so I thought it would be safe to re-enable it again. I was wrong. As soon as I turned it on my car woke up (according to TeslaMate), so it’s not just Bluetooth that is waking it up.

To reiterate - app is closed (doesn’t show in list of apps running in the background on my phone), Bluetooth was off for 17 hours which meant car didn’t wake up. Re-enabled Bluetooth and car woke up, even though I’m 25 miles away from it.

Another data point.

I’ve had Bluetooth disabled on my phone since last night, car has been asleep 17 hours as a consequence.

I’m about 25 miles away from my car at the moment, so I thought it would be safe to re-enable it again. I was wrong. As soon as I turned it on my car woke up (according to TeslaMate), so it’s not just Bluetooth that is waking it up.

To reiterate - app is closed (doesn’t show in list of apps running in the background on my phone), Bluetooth was off for 17 hours which meant car didn’t wake up. Re-enabled Bluetooth and car woke up, even though I’m 25 miles away from it.
Open a service request, select something else and put that information in.

I’ve had this problem since updating to iOS build 4.12 too.

A workaround for those that are bothered: Since this started happening, I was trying to figure out why turning off mobile data and Bluetooth in the iOS setting for the app didn’t stop the frequent wake ups.

It turns out that apps can still communicate when on Wi-Fi regardless of the mobile data setting, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to stop the app communicating via Wi-Fi that I can find. So I’ve also disabled Wi-Fi completely and the app can’t connect to the outside world anymore. Wake ups aren’t occurring as a result.

Not a fix but if you don’t want to disable Bluetooth for other reasons and can do without Wi-Fi then it can be another workaround to try.

I’ve had this problem since updating to iOS build 4.12 too.

A workaround for those that are bothered: Since this started happening, I was trying to figure out why turning off mobile data and Bluetooth in the iOS setting for the app didn’t stop the frequent wake ups.

It turns out that apps can still communicate when on Wi-Fi regardless of the mobile data setting, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to stop the app communicating via Wi-Fi that I can find. So I’ve also disabled Wi-Fi completely and the app can’t connect to the outside world anymore. Wake ups aren’t occurring as a result.

Not a fix but if you don’t want to disable Bluetooth for other reasons and can do without Wi-Fi then it can be another workaround to try.
Do a service request select other and outline what is happening. Gives Tesla more data points.

I have the same issue and it does indeed appear to be TeslaFi in my case. I have used TeslaFi for years and only since last weekend have I had this issue where the car wakes every hour. I changed my password on my Tesla account and the car sleeps. It slept for over a day, I refreshed the token with TeslaFi and the cars behaviour reverted back to waking every hour. I knew the car was a sleep by using the widget..
811FCF86-94E4-4392-811B-2E478ABACD69.jpeg

Reactions: Perscitus