Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi has gone nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using TeslaFi for a couple years now, and never had an issue with the car sleeping. Suddenly this week, I'm having the car sleep/wake/sleep wake constantly.

It seems to have started yesterday afternoon. I have not made any changes to TeslaFi, I have no other apps accessing the vehicle. Anyone else see this behavior?

Wednesday: normal day. This is an example of how it has always looked.
1693594938413.png

Thursday afternoon the sleep/wake cycle starts. It doesn't sleep for more than a few minutes.

1693594907980.png

Today:

1693594847511.png

There is nothing here that indicates that it's TeslaFi's fault. Your car is waking up and TeslaFi probably just takes note of it and shows it to you. I would check two things.
- Do you have cabin overheat protection on?
- Maybe your 12V is dying and the car needs to wake up often to charge it

EDIT: And yes, the other suggestion of rebooting is always good to try.,

There is nothing here that indicates that it's TeslaFi's fault. Your car is waking up and TeslaFi probably just takes note of it and shows it to you. I would check two things.
- Do you have cabin overheat protection on?
- Maybe your 12V is dying and the car needs to wake up often to charge it

EDIT: And yes, the other suggestion of rebooting is always good to try.,
Interesting note on the 12v. Is there a way to test that/rule that issue out specifically?

How old is your car?
I don't know if the car writes a message in the log in that period before it's really dead. You might want to look at the log in service mode.
Apart from new software version / needing reboot glitches, the car only wakes up for a good reason. Can be COP (but you ruled that out), someone touching a handle trying to open the door, launching the mobile app (are you looking at it often?), charging the 12V.

Reactions: Cyberdelia
How old is your car?
I don't know if the car writes a message in the log in that period before it's really dead. You might want to look at the log in service mode.
Apart from new software version / needing reboot glitches, the car only wakes up for a good reason. Can be COP (but you ruled that out), someone touching a handle trying to open the door, launching the mobile app (are you looking at it often?), charging the 12V.
Appreciate the reply. I never look at the app, especially not in the middle of the night. I bought the car in October '21 - I'm the only one here, so nobody else is touching the handles.

Do you have a link on how to look at the log in service mode?

I have the same issue. Started happening last Saturday. Constantly going from idle to sleep for random periods of time many times through the day and night while parked at home. Looks like a software related issue. Started on 8/8, after the update to 26.7. Updated to 26.9 on Wednesday. Made no difference. Just did a a 2 button reboot and a hard POWER OFF, so I’ll see what happens this evening and overnight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyberdelia
I have the same issue. Started happening last Saturday. Constantly going from idle to sleep for random periods of time many times through the day and night while parked at home. Looks like a software related issue. Started on 8/8, after the update to 26.7. Updated to 26.9 on Wednesday. Made no difference. Just did a a 2 button reboot and a hard POWER OFF, so I’ll see what happens this evening and overnight.
I know how to do a 2 button reboot, how do you do a hard power off?

I am still in my TeslaFi trial 2 weeks. It's been like this for most of the time. Seemed crazy to constantly wake sleep wake sleep but then I figured everybody else must know something I don't. Also hard to diagnose because I have my electric company's app also pinging the car, so I can't really isolate the problem without cancelling the other app.

I am still in my TeslaFi trial 2 weeks. It's been like this for most of the time. Seemed crazy to constantly wake sleep wake sleep but then I figured everybody else must know something I don't. Also hard to diagnose because I have my electric company's app also pinging the car, so I can't really isolate the problem without cancelling the other app.
I’ve used TeslaFi since I bought the car and it’s been fantastic. The last couple firmware releases from Tesla though, haven’t been.

The more apps you have pinging the car, the less chance it will actually sleep.

These sleep settings for all these third party apps dont actually put the car to sleep, they just pause polling the car for "some period of time" to let the car go to sleep. They dont all "stop" polling at the same time, so having multiples of these makes it a lot harder for the time of "stop polling" in any specific app to overlap with another one.

TL ; DR, if keeping the car asleep is important, adding multiple third party apps makes that harder.

This OP only states they are using one, so this may or may not be the app. My guess is, its not, since I have seen multiple different threads about "car not sleeping ?!?!?!?!?!!!!11111" so I think its likely either something tesla did, or some interaction that is happening that is new.

The more apps you have pinging the car, the less chance it will actually sleep.

These sleep settings for all these third party apps dont actually put the car to sleep, they just pause polling the car for "some period of time" to let the car go to sleep. They dont all "stop" polling at the same time, so having multiples of these makes it a lot harder for the time of "stop polling" in any specific app to overlap with another one.

TL ; DR, if keeping the car asleep is important, adding multiple third party apps makes that harder.

This OP only states they are using one, so this may or may not be the app. My guess is, its not, since I have seen multiple different threads about "car not sleeping ?!?!?!?!?!!!!11111" so I think its likely either something tesla did, or some interaction that is happening that is new.
Unfortunately the other app I'm using is for my electric utility to measure whether I'm charging on peak or off peak. I can't really uninstall without giving up a bit of sweet sweet money money.

I mainly installed TeslaFi to see whether my utility's app was keeping my car awake.

For the first week, the car seemed to nonstop cycle between sleep and idling every 25-30 minutes or even more frequently, all day and all night, with the car just sitting in the garage, sentry mode turned off at home, overheat protection disabled. In the last few days, the car is sleeping for hours at a time at night after charging is complete, which is great. So now daytime behavior is different from nighttime behavior.

However, I still have no idea whether Tesla firmware or one of the apps is responsible. Heisenberg uncertainty principle is at work here. Just by trying to measure the sleep - idle cycle with TeslaFi, I may be affecting the sleep - idle cycle. (But I might not be affecting it either. I have no way to know either way.)

If Tesla releases an update that ends this frequent sleep - idle cycling, then that's the only definitive way to lay the blame on Tesla.