Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 OEM 19" wheel - tire recommendations for Seattle / NW weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI,

I just got a model 3 with the 19" wheels in March.
There are many useful threads in the standard Model 3 area! That said, I'd love to have a thread dedicated to this OEM wheel and focused on the weather conditions in the pacific northwest.
I'm very interested in recommendations and experience with all season tires as I'd prefer not having summer and winter tires.

What is the best blend of efficiency, wet performance, and very occasional snow?

I realize one option is to get the oem 18" wheels but I'd rather keep the 19" as i love the way they look.

Thanks in advance for any perspectives that are shared :)

George

It's been a while, but years ago I ran Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 year-round. They are technically snow tires, but the snow capabilities are pretty limited (in fact they say they lose their snow capabilities when you lose a little of the tread) - which seems like something that can work around here, unless you ski or go over the passes in winter a lot. I'm not sure they'll fit the 3's 19" wheels, but they seemed to be a pretty popular tire.

More recently we used Pirelli Sottozero 3 on my wife's car. Similar idea - it is a "winter performance" tire that's not much of a snow tire; but it's better in snow than most all-seasons, and still has good performance characteristics year-round.

I understand the desire to only have one set of tires. It's cheaper, easier, and requires less storage space. Weather extremes here are mild, so you can find a tire that will be decent year-round. That said, I will point out that summer tires are better in summer, and winter tires are better in winter - and all of your 3's abilities, fantastic as they are, are riding on those tires. Plus with two sets, you've always got spares (that has saved us once). It does cost more, but given the tires are wear items it's only the cost of the second set of wheels you have to worry about, and you can usually find a fairly cheap set for winter.

In any event, good luck and enjoy!

I've still got life in my stock 19" tires but was wondering the same thing re: the best all season tire for the wet conditions out here.

I also want it to be pretty quiet as well and I know it's always a trade off between performance, noise, efficiency, cost, etc.

It's been a while, but years ago I ran Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 year-round. They are technically snow tires, but the snow capabilities are pretty limited (in fact they say they lose their snow capabilities when you lose a little of the tread) - which seems like something that can work around here, unless you ski or go over the passes in winter a lot. I'm not sure they'll fit the 3's 19" wheels, but they seemed to be a pretty popular tire.

More recently we used Pirelli Sottozero 3 on my wife's car. Similar idea - it is a "winter performance" tire that's not much of a snow tire; but it's better in snow than most all-seasons, and still has good performance characteristics year-round.

I understand the desire to only have one set of tires. It's cheaper, easier, and requires less storage space. Weather extremes here are mild, so you can find a tire that will be decent year-round. That said, I will point out that summer tires are better in summer, and winter tires are better in winter - and all of your 3's abilities, fantastic as they are, are riding on those tires. Plus with two sets, you've always got spares (that has saved us once). It does cost more, but given the tires are wear items it's only the cost of the second set of wheels you have to worry about, and you can usually find a fairly cheap set for winter.

In any event, good luck and enjoy!
I used to run Conti Extreme Contacts on my old BMW wagon in Seattle. They were great and had terrific tread wear.

I found this chart on Reddit last fall when I was looking for winter tires.

Comparison of Model 3 compatible tires (235/45-18", 235/40-19", 235/35-20") according to ratings from TireRack and TyreReviews (sorted by tire category and rating)

I went with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's with 18" ASA GT14 wheels from TireRack and had my local Discount Tires install them.

The OEM Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are actually really good in the rain but are hard as hockey pucks below 45 degrees.

IMG_5302.jpg

Reactions: tjkenny15
Thanks for all the replies thus far!
Examining the very useful spreadsheet(sweet!) it looks like my best options for the 19" stock wheel are:
1) the bridgestone QuietTrack
2)the Vredestein Quatrac 5
3)the Continental PureContact LS
Anyone in the NW used any of these 19" all weather tires and were generally delighted (trade offs considered)?

The other dreaded option is buying the 18" stock wheels and getting winter tires. It's dreaded because I have a history of procrastination and would likely not want to haul my wheels somewhere to get them to change them a couple times a year.

Anyone know if they sell just the 18" wheel (ie no tire) through the service centers and what they might cost? Sometimes members on here look to sell them with the tires so that could be an option. But haven't seen any for sale in this area and wouldn't expect to until Tesla sells more cars in June and September.

I have heard a rumor that the the service centers don't like it when you have other wheels on the car and use it as an reason not to service? Seems like this can't be true. It also seems like many of the third party wheel options have branding (of course their right to do so!) which I try to avoid as a general rule.

If I went with the 18" stock wheel (assuming it's available) i could go with one of these for winter - the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4. I know this would be the best all things considered. Except for that procrastination thing!

Thanks again everyone!