Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Oil Filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a former maintenance engineer, i can 100% tell you that is a terrible idea. Metal particulates accumulate in the oil and wear additives break down over time, resulting in worse lubricity and build up of abrasive particles within the lubricant (the opposite of what you want!).

Still a good idea to change it eventually, one could even make the case that it's a good idea to change after first few months or maybe 1 year of ownership after gears have meshed and worn off any small asperities which can gather in the oil and/or filter. Similar reason that ICE cars typically recommend an early oil change for a new car.

For the second owner for sure...thats why I've never bought a used vehicle in my life. I know there are upsides not having to take the initial hit as soon as you drive off the lot but I don't care.

It cracks me up when I use to see rental car companies advertise "Buy our Cars"....LOL will do right after I'm done jumping this curb and I can't count the amount of rental cars that had maintenance lights or "oil change" due warnings. No thanks...

• Funny
Reactions: AMPd
For the second owner for sure...thats why I've never bought a used vehicle in my life. I know there are upsides not having to take the initial hit as soon as you drive off the lot but I don't care.

It cracks me up when I use to see rental car companies advertise "Buy our Cars"....LOL will do right after I'm done jumping this curb and I can't count the amount of rental cars that had maintenance lights or "oil change" due warnings. No thanks...
Yeah there’s articles talking about how they’re “actually good buys!” because “maintenance is kept up to date.” We rented a Cherokee in Utah, literally the first thing I did was take it out to the salt flats and max it out. It had 400 miles on it.

Yeah there’s articles talking about how they’re “actually good buys!” because “maintenance is kept up to date.” We rented a Cherokee in Utah, literally the first thing I did was take it out to the salt flats and max it out. It had 400 miles on it.
I used to work at Firestone. We did ALL maintenance and out of warranty work for Enterprise. They actually stayed on top of maintenance and needed repairs. They even paid for brake flushes if the test strips showed it should be flushed.... Even if the vehicle had like 2k miles on it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an enterprise vehicle if it was a good deal

I used to work at Firestone. We did ALL maintenance and out of warranty work for Enterprise. They actually stayed on top of maintenance and needed repairs. They even paid for brake flushes if the test strips showed it should be flushed.... Even if the vehicle had like 2k miles on it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an enterprise vehicle if it was a good deal

Thats good and but all the previous abusive DRIVERS are who I'm really worried about...

Thats good and but all the previous abusive DRIVERS are who I'm really worried about...
You know manufacturers build cars to hold up to the abuse you can give them stock right? They aren't gonna give a car a redline of 6500 if doing that is going to kill it within warranty period (including extended warranty they offer). They dummy proof stuff because the average consumer is an idiot. They limit power, limit torque under certain speeds.... Cars are smart. For example, my 2017 ram 2500 cummins has something around 900 ft lb of torque... Thing could not do a burnout stock because they limit torque VERY heavily under a certain speed... So people don't hurt the vehicle.

You know manufacturers build cars to hold up to the abuse you can give them stock right? They aren't gonna give a car a redline of 6500 if doing that is going to kill it within warranty period (including extended warranty they offer). They dummy proof stuff because the average consumer is an idiot. They limit power, limit torque under certain speeds.... Cars are smart. For example, my 2017 ram 2500 cummins has something around 900 ft lb of torque... Thing could not do a burnout stock because they limit torque VERY heavily under a certain speed... So people don't hurt the vehicle.

When I buy new...I don't have to wonder how smart the car is. Every mile is put on by me!

But you also lose 10-15% of your money the second you sign the papers. You are paying for peace of mind, but not everyone has the luxury to do that. Even then, all makes and models have problems. I've seen many sub 20k motors blow up with no abuse at all.

OMG Persistent fella.... OK OK YOU WIN YOU WIN. Not really...I still am not buying used.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmaddr
Funny anecdote: My boss' dad (85) who is well off (owns a home in St Barts and a plane w/pilot) and was in the land development business owning many trucks and heavy equipment and now has at least 4 cars, a truck and a couple of tractors.

He has NEVER had a single oil change on any vehicle he has owned and said he has never had single problem related to it. Says it is just a money grab and never once fell for it. Said he has had many cars go over 100K with original oil/filter.

I've seen this reasoning before, where bastically repacing the engine is cheaper than x miles worth of maintenance. In some cases that may be true in a pure econimical sense, but it'd hardly good advise to give someone in a completely different context. Either way, the maintenence cost on a Tesla is so low it just doesn't apply.

Bonneville is a long way from here, but I took a rented Mustang for several laps around a high-bank short track about two decades ago. I didn’t try to keep up maximum speed thru the turns, though, damage waiver wouldn’t have covered an on-track wreck. Still more lateral G-forces than I have ever experienced on the street.

Some people usually beat the hell out of rentals, which is why I cringe when I hear of people renting their Tesla on Turo or similar.

I would expect the filter to look exactly like a normal oil filter. What you won’t be able to tell is if the filter media has larger pores to permit the thicker gear oil/fluid to flow through it better.

Lot of very Important information about oil testing here is being left out oil is good ?
what are you after for ISO contamination target ?
what is the micron rating of these filters?
if you put new oil in of your favorite brand it will be more dirty than the one inside that has been filtered all this time .
Is there a magnetic catch in the system ?
opening up the filter media will only tell you the hunking big particules It has been catching you don t see microns size 5 u particules

Some proper testing.....

Attachments

• test1.png
    test1.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 90