Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Filter Replacement Tips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished replacing the cabin air filters on Nick (see sig). Here are some tips:

If you have a car with the screw at the top (2020 or earlier?) of the cabin air filter cover, this is indeed a tricky procedure. Watch YouTube videos on this before you start.

1. If you rarely use the AC, you may not need to replace the filters often. After 2.5 years and 67K miles, mine were not very dirty (old on the left, new on right).

Filters.jpg

2. Use a headlamp.

3. For the models with the screw at the top of the filter cover, I recommend that you buy something like this for removing the screw (note it's a Torx 20 screw head):

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 10.40.16 AM.jpg

I improvised something when it turned out that my stubby screwdriver didn't work (see yellow thing in the filter photo above).

4. I recommend you buy this on eBay for replacing the screw for next time. It looks like it's too short to work, but it works fine:

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 10.46.40 AM.jpg

3. Pay attention to the number and location of clips when removing the under-dash part. You need a lot of force to remove the speaker clip.

4. Cover these openings with something so nothing can fall in there:

Covering.jpg

5. You'll want to spray the coils with AC coil cleaner and then run the AC for 5-10 minutes to dry things out (before putting the filters back). When you do that, put the cover on or otherwise cover the opening or foam will spray out into the car.

Bottom line, it's doable but a bit annoying and tricky.

I ran mine (fan only, no AC) for about 20 minutes before replacing. Instead of putting the plastic cover back on during the drying period, I just stuffed a rag in the opening. I also used a leaf blower to blow out any loose debris caught in the chamber and bought one of these to prevent more leaves from dropping in. Gotta make sure you're getting the right one for your model year. Mine's a 2018 and that's the cover I needed. Have not noticed any restriction in air flow.

Two statement/question

1. Beware that Tesla sells then individually, you need qty 2
2. What is rhe best filter? Via Tesla or third party? Don’t want to change the filter to either over kill or introduce questionable quality that could make someone sick

I just finished replacing the cabin air filters on Nick (see sig). Here are some tips:

If you have a car with the screw at the top (2020 or earlier?) of the cabin air filter cover, this is indeed a tricky procedure. Watch YouTube videos on this before you start.

1. If you rarely use the AC, you may not need to replace the filters often. After 2.5 years and 67K miles, mine were not very dirty (old on the left, new on right).

View attachment 945396

2. Use a headlamp.

3. For the models with the screw at the top of the filter cover, I recommend that you buy something like this for removing the screw (note it's a Torx 20 screw head):

View attachment 945395

I improvised something when it turned out that my stubby screwdriver didn't work (see yellow thing in the filter photo above).

4. I recommend you buy this on eBay for replacing the screw for next time. It looks like it's too short to work, but it works fine:

View attachment 945398

3. Pay attention to the number and location of clips when removing the under-dash part. You need a lot of force to remove the speaker clip.

4. Cover these openings with something so nothing can fall in there:

View attachment 945399

5. You'll want to spray the coils with AC coil cleaner and then run the AC for 5-10 minutes to dry things out (before putting the filters back). When you do that, put the cover on or otherwise cover the opening or foam will spray out into the car.

That's a great idea replacing the screws

Abstract Ocean has a magnet thing to replace that screw (and a new cover), after you swap it once the inner rectangular part just pops off pretty easily. Well, once you get all the layers out of the way. It's about time to do mine again, and I have to admit I'm not looking forward to it because the main footwell panel is a PITA to get back in on my car.

Did you use a fancy car specific coil cleaner, or do we think the kind used for HVAC would work too? Like this one:

Frost King ACF19 Foam Coil Cleaner, 1.18 Pound (Pack of 1), 19 Ounce Amazon.com

About half the price and seems to do the same thing, unless I’m missing something?

11 months in with new 2023 MYP, no stink yet
as for filter change, I heard its tough to get the filter screw out and that replacing it with a thumb screw is beneficial
its on ebay, $10
1698795737438.png

This has been around for a while and shocked not on amazon yet, giving me caution.
Has anyone purchased and installed in their Tesla? Beneficial?

11 months in with new 2023 MYP, no stink yet
as for filter change, I heard its tough to get the filter screw out and that replacing it with a thumb screw is beneficial
its on ebay, $10
View attachment 986907
This has been around for a while and shocked not on amazon yet, giving me caution.
Has anyone purchased and installed in their Tesla? Beneficial?
its just makes it easy to change with out annoying tools. It doesn't improve filter efficiency or anything like that but as someone who has done filter changes in the last 4 years, anything to make it easier is worth it.

Reactions: kpanda17
I just help a friend change the filters on his 23 my and found the screw location to be even more difficult to get to than my 20 m3. However the cavity below the center console is up much higher and you can just stick your arm in there to fish out the little white clips that inevitably fall in there when you try to put the side panel back on. One step forward two back?

I have filters on order for my 23 m3 so I can see what changed from my 20 when I change those in a week.

$32 to let Tesla change it and you don't get screwed. C'mon Man.

You can afford a Tesla, but not the maintenance, which is minimal by the way.
I like doing stuff like this on my car. It's an easy project and takes 15 mins for me to do, and most of the 15 is finding my tools. This special screw allow me to eliminate the hex tool and my small wrench. I will only need a plastic panel pry tool, and that it!

Reactions: kpanda17