Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model 3 or 2013 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a better question for everyone.

What does a Model 3 have over a Model S if you don’t intend to get software?

AP2/AP3 pushes it to the 3 clearly.

Though it’s not as straight forward if you know you are not getting software.

If I didn’t have an AP2 X, I would of strongly considered a P85D Model S CPO with rear add on seats.

I have a model 3 that I drove for 1 month before someone crashed into it. For the last 31 days I've been driving a June 2018 Model S 75D. I Got the Model 3 back today and I can confirm there is no question that the 3 is a better driving experience. I would even go as far as saying that the acceleration on my RWD LR is faster than the S 75D. But on the other hand the model 3 was away for 4 months and 1 day (3 months of that was due to Tesla's inability to provide the parts any faster than that). I don't think the wait for parts is quite that long for Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: shanif
One is not better than the other...just different.

Choose the one that will best fit your individual needs.

If you have a bunch of kids, get the 7 seater. If you live in a congested Urban area the smaller Model 3 is the choice.

Some feel that the Model S is the best looking of all the Tesla. Personal choice again an issue here.

If you have asthma the HEPA filter in the S will be a godsend. If you need the max range, the 3 is your huckleberry.

Most every owner will recommend the model that they also chose. They are all good.

I got the X because I have a bad back and own a small business. Everyone has their own needs.

A little birdie told me to stick with late 2015 or newer S if going used..
why so?

As we know Tesla does inline updates vs yearly models etc; his comment to me was that the driveline components (motors) in specific were more reliable with those design changes.

I've heard of folks getting battery updates that weren't available in the original car so if an older car has a much newer motor already, that is probably best. Things like the door handles have supposedly had multiple revs as well, and they can be pricey outside warranty

Might not matter initially with a good warranty ...

Last edited:
I had the pleasure to drive both cars. 2013 P85 as a loaner vehicle and 2018 model 3 LR as a owner since August. I would strongly recommend going for the model 3 due to the following reasons:
1. Performance and driving experience: The model 3 LR is so much more enjoyable to drive and the acceleration is noticeably faster than the S85P
2. Range: 50-60 miles difference makes a HUGE difference
3. Newer Software: I personally would not purchase a Tesla without Autopilot. Summon is a must due to my parking situation. Freeway/road trips driving experience has been the best thing about owning a Tesla for me.

Obviously the look or design, the touch screen etc. are personal choices. I'd rather stick with the fact than personal opinion.

I could argue that size and free supercharging are the only positive reasons that one should go with the used S. In this case, our family of 3 fits perfectly on the 3. Plus, having solar at home and free charging at work makes my decision between the 2 very easy.

Have the option of getting a new model 3 or a 2013 Model S with 18k miles. Both around the same price. I’m going back and forth, what do you think? Pros/cons?
Clearly this decision is one of personal preference; both are great cars. I have an early P85 and Model 3 RWD and it is a toss up to which one I like more. To me, the Model S is a more comfortable ride (air suspension); the door handles are easier to operate; it has more space, and the automatic rear hatch is more convenient. The free supercharging is also nice (I’m five minutes from a SC), and I really enjoy the raw acceleration of the P85.

But the Model 3 is no slouch, and it is plenty fast to put many of the so-called “muscle cars” out there to shame, silently. The technology in the Model 3 is clearly newer, and the touch screen responds a lot faster than my Model S. As noted in the other posts, the Model 3 is a LOT of fun to drive. It is very nimble and responsive, and stays planted to the road like almost no other car. The car is obviously a little smaller, but it still has lots of space and fits into tight parking spaces easier.

Autopilot, I believe, is a game changer. The self-driving features are already really good especially on open roads or stop-and-go traffic, and they continue to get better with OTA updates, for free.

As for safety, the structural safety features of these cars are unmatched, but the Autopilot safety features have the potential to take vehicle safety to a new level, l believe.

I’m often asked which Tesla I like best (btw I have a Model X too). My response to that question is “whichever one I’m driving”. :) I love them all. They are all great cars so I don’t think you’ll be disappointed no matter what you decide.

Best of luck!

As much as I always will love our 2013 P85 Model S, it is rare now that two of us drive - rather, it is I who constantly am chauffering Jenny and our 13-month old - so it makes sense for us to find it a new owner.

When we get around to marketing it, I'm considering using words like "If you're interested in a high-performing electric vehicle but aren't ready for autopilot..." and so forth. As has been mentioned above, these vehicles have massive (by comparison to all other Teslas) frunks - one which holds a fully inflated spare tire - lifelong free supercharging, and, in our case, the lamentably discontinued magnificent dark green color.

There ARE those who desire autopilot; there are those who will shun it for some time to come.