Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Painted Calipers... a different approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So
i wanted to paint my calipers, but I didn't want to do it RED like everyone else, and I also didn't want to use White stickers because they look too big...I love the stock slim lettering....so the goal was to change the color, but keep it looking stock. I love the end result, and the anodized paint really shines through...once I get the new rims I think it will look even better. Let me know what you think.

I did also bake them for 2 hrs, but with a heat gun sitting on a bucket...hahaha... you can see I got a little paint on the rotor, but it went away when I hit the brakes so I wasn't concerned about such a small amount
D92207BD-C55A-4E77-B4C4-4EC67919DDE7.JPG

Well done! I paid $575 to have mine done. Did you do the entire “sand down” process, prime and paint? I’ve always thought blue and yellow complimented each other. I didn’t want red either.

Congrats on your great looking result.

Attachments

• 096A819E-734F-4AE1-B3D9-F18444E30AC1.jpeg
    096A819E-734F-4AE1-B3D9-F18444E30AC1.jpeg
    604.4 KB · Views: 255
  • 45443572-92D9-4F7D-8146-19BDA45404A5.jpeg
    45443572-92D9-4F7D-8146-19BDA45404A5.jpeg
    761.5 KB · Views: 270
  • 2453F110-EC76-43B3-AEDA-C2B4913C1BB7.jpeg
    2453F110-EC76-43B3-AEDA-C2B4913C1BB7.jpeg
    499.5 KB · Views: 266
So No...I did not do the sand down process as I feel it was not necessary for such a "New" car....what I did do is a wire wheel that took me literally 5 min. per brake.

Paint I used was Duplicolor color cast

I bout some stands on Amazon that worked very well...2 of them for $50 they are very beefy...I'll post them here soon

Sweeeet. What is funny is I literally just was going to research and talk about painting calipers because I want to do mine too. I I have metallic grey for my model 3. I want to do green. I’ve seen some with that combo and think it looks perfect.

Anyway how did you get the stock letters to be so clear? Did you like hand paint around the letters if they arnt stickers?

No NO NO...that is Literally the stock lettering...I painted over it and it still comes through the paint even after 4 layers...

So The duplicolor color cast is a "tinted clear coat" that shows the base surface....that's how I got it to show through...I Used painters tape to mask off the lettering, and then used an exacto knife to go around the edges so that I wouldn't get the base coat (metallic silver for the rest of the caliper) on the lettering. I was lucky that the base coat is EXACTLY the same color as the "TESLA" part of the caliper. The photo below shows the rest of the caliper painted but the front unpainted (the TESLA part)... after the base coat...I took off the tape and it looked like this:

IMG_0047.jpg

Reactions: ss71
So
i wanted to paint my calipers, but I didn't want to do it RED like everyone else, and I also didn't want to use White stickers because they look too big...I love the stock slim lettering....so the goal was to change the color, but keep it looking stock. I love the end result, and the anodized paint really shines through...once I get the new rims I think it will look even better. Let me know what you think.

I did also bake them for 2 hrs, but with a heat gun sitting on a bucket...hahaha... you can see I got a little paint on the rotor, but it went away when I hit the brakes so I wasn't concerned about such a small amount
View attachment 772049
Looks great! Are the letters on the calipers stickers?

Reactions: E.Potter
I remember we couldn't keep up with this dude Kwame man....he only had the finest parts on his car...lol...man was a BOSS on the streets with his 350....great minds think alike...now we are on this forum with Teslas...lol....been like 20 years bro!!!!

Reactions: Kwame