Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Pedestal Spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I’m looking at adding a spoiler to my M3 but thinking of something different to the usual lip style one that comes on the performance.
I’ve seen two pedestal style ones (from Startech & CMST) but both would then require painting to match my black M3. I just wondered if anyone had gone for anything like those on the links below and if so where from.

Thanks

giphy.gif

I don't tend to do any aftermarket modding of my vehicles, but I think that Startech spoiler looks interesting. My immediate thought though is - how much range will you lose?

The aero caps are said to increase range by 5%, and I've read that side-view mirrors cost us about 10% of fuel efficiency (EV or ICE), so I suspect that spoiler will have some effect on range... and presumably negative (or Tesla would include them to boost advertised range).

Could cost 10 or more percent of range to have it... is it worth it? Just thinking out loud.

Reactions: Jason71
I don't tend to do any aftermarket modding of my vehicles, but I think that Startech spoiler looks interesting. My immediate thought though is - how much range will you lose?

The aero caps are said to increase range by 5%, and I've read that side-view mirrors cost us about 10% of fuel efficiency (EV or ICE), so I suspect that spoiler will have some effect on range... and presumably negative (or Tesla would include them to boost advertised range).

Could cost 10 or more percent of range to have it... is it worth it? Just thinking out loud.
I’m not normally one for doing too much to cars but this is the first one where I feel some modifications are ok (windows are tinted, wheels replaced and now debadged). My thoughts with the two spoilers in my original post is that they’re not too garish as they’re only slightly higher than that on the M3P.

Luckily my weekly driving is just about the range the car does and on the occasions where I’m heading further afield it’s normally on holiday with a roofbox so I’m not too worried about range loss but I appreciate the thoughts.

Thanks @Dangerous Fish, due to the driving I do it’s much more about the visual aspect of the car than anything range/performance related but it’s nice to hear your thinking.
@yessuz, there may be a cost of some sort but our insurance is only c£450 for the year and I doubt they’re going to double it for the addition of a spoiler (they’ve not been bothered about the wheels/tints).

Thanks @Dangerous Fish, due to the driving I do it’s much more about the visual aspect of the car than anything range/performance related but it’s nice to hear your thinking.
@yessuz, there may be a cost of some sort but our insurance is only c£450 for the year and I doubt they’re going to double it for the addition of a spoiler (they’ve not been bothered about the wheels/tints).
your insurance might nots even cover you with modifications :/

Neither of those wings are high/big enough to cause appreciable drag (or add downforce) as they aren't in the airflow, so that's a minor consideration.
how are they "not in the air flow"?
I don't think the angle of the rear window is nearly steep enough to detach the air flow so I would imagine it detaches as it goes over the end of the tailgate in which case surely that would still be in the airflow?

how are they "not in the air flow"?
I don't think the angle of the rear window is nearly steep enough to detach the air flow so I would imagine it detaches as it goes over the end of the tailgate in which case surely that would still be in the airflow?
Plenty of studies you can find if you Google a bit. One guy in New Zealand did some very comprehensive real-world measurements airflow over/under a Model 3.