Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance - Performance Upgrade

For those ordering Performance Model 3, will you get Performance Upgrade?

• Yes

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those ordering Performance Model 3, will you get Performance Upgrade?

The 20" rims look so much better on the car, but I'm concerned about loss of range, noise, and ride comfort. Tyres are also more expensive, and I assume tyre life will be much shorter when launching all the time....

Not buying it but if I were I would for sure get the performance package. These ugly aero wheels do not belong to a $70k performance car.

Also the base tires do not belong to this car either. The performance of the car will be severely compromised if you stick to the base tires. Expect braking to be similar to a Nissan Altima at the very best. That really makes no sense.

Furthermore the performance package is sold nearly at cost, which knowing tesla is not going to last very long (paint price increase, AWD price increase, etc.).. so why bother?

Buy an extra used set of base wheels / tires if you are concerned for road trip / winter.

Not buying it but if I were I would for sure get the performance package. These ugly aero wheels do not belong to a $70k performance car.

Also the base tires do not belong to this car either. The performance of the car will be severely compromised if you stick to the base tires. Expect braking to be similar to a Nissan Altima at the very best. That really makes no sense.

Furthermore the performance package is sold nearly at cost, which knowing tesla is not going to last very long (paint price increase, AWD price increase, etc.).. so why bother?

Buy an extra used set of base wheels / tires if you are concerned for road trip / winter.
Except that is difficult since most wheels will not fit on the performance version.

For me it's not worth the 5k, but if they had added the 19" wheel option available for AWD and LR I would have selected that.

if you like the look, i say get the upgrade.
The car is still quiet and very comfortable on the 20's... i actually find the P ride a bit soft, so take that for what it's worth.
You will sacrifice some range... but that's not why i bought a P. in fact, if you're planning on burning through tires from launching all the time, i don't think range is a concern of yours either.
as for the tires, I just had to replace a tire at the SC from a screw in the sidewall... 340 bucks for the tire (same as tire rack) plus labor... a bit more vs the 18's, but i think it's worth it for the better tires.

"Does anyone know what the reduction in braking distance from 60mph-0mph is, with the performance upgrade?"

Disclaimer - different tester/conditions/etc.
Motor Trend got 99 ft with the performance upgrade package.
Consumer Reports reported 133 ft (presumably with 18" aero wheels based on the picture).

That would of course be entirely due to the tires, not the brakes.

Put the PS 4s tires on the aeros and you should get virtually identical braking distances.

Reactions: Adrien