Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Spacers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well.....found out something interesting from Traverse Racing. They said the newer P3Ds hubs have a slightly larger bore ie. Sept ‘19 and forward. I have an Aug ‘18 man and Sept ‘18 Delivery. He said they’d have to custom make a set of 5 mm spacers for me with a CB of 69.6 because the earlier bores were slightly smaller. I asked because they dont spec or advertise their CB on their 5 mm spacers. This might bode for why the stud lengths between model years are all over the map as well. For some guys being able to fit Bloxs on certain rims and not others even on the same car in this thread. Specifically front 15’s. Varying cavity depths or stud lengths.

Ski

Reactions: Cyclone1
I ended up putting 15/20mm and shaved off 1mm off the front studs. So far no issues whatsoever.
Hey NXN7, would you mind sharing which 15mm you ended up buying for the front (Bloxsport or another brand) and maybe details on the "shaving studs" process (did you DIY, which tool was used, angle grinder, die grinder,...)?

Many thanks

Well.....found out something interesting from Traverse Racing. They said the newer P3Ds hubs have a slightly larger bore ie. Sept ‘19 and forward. I have an Aug ‘18 man and Sept ‘18 Delivery. He said they’d have to custom make a set of 5 mm spacers for me with a CB of 69.6 because the earlier bores were slightly smaller. I asked because they dont spec or advertise their CB on their 5 mm spacers. This might bode for why the stud lengths between model years are all over the map as well. For some guys being able to fit Bloxs on certain rims and not others even on the same car in this thread. Specifically front 15’s. Varying cavity depths or stud lengths.

Ski

So, here's the thing with a 5mm spacer. It doesn't center the wheel at all, so it really doesn't matter if the bore on the spacer is slight larger than the hub. The spacer will center itself via the bolt holes and the wheel still centers itself with the rest of the exposed hub. I wouldn't worry about a 1mm difference in bore as long as the spacer still fully seats against the rotor hat. Why not just but the $10 70.5mm spacers, throw them on, torque the wheels properly and see how it looks and if there is any vibration.

Little thread resurrection...

With the Bloxsport spacers everyone is using on M3Ps (BLOXSPORT 6061T6 5x114.3 64.1 for Tesla Model 3 perfermance [BLM Series] - $105.00 : BLOXsport Wheel Spacers, Aluminun 7075-T6 Forged!), how do these work with the stepped hub ring? Are they machined to account for the step or are they just a 70.1CB with a 64.1 on the wheel side?

Yes they are. For some reason, you can’t get the 15mm ones from their website (if you go that route) - just fyi.

Has anyone messed with the H&R’s? I called and asked them about the 14MM for the fronts. I mentioned the issues discussed in this thread and they said they’re plug and play. The notes stats they come with “shank lug nuts” that provide the ability to grab more thread (or at least that’s my impression). Kinda tempted to try them out.

Has anyone messed with the H&R’s? I called and asked them about the 14MM for the fronts. I mentioned the issues discussed in this thread and they said they’re plug and play. The notes stats they come with “shank lug nuts” that provide the ability to grab more thread (or at least that’s my impression). Kinda tempted to try them out.

I've got them installed

A question to all those (like @NXN7) who shaved off the front studs to prevent them from tapping on the back of the P3D stock 20” wheels with 15mm front spacers:

don't you worry about "ruining" a little bit the future upgradability of your car if you'll ever want to buy new aftermarket wheels? (or simply going back to factory setup without spacers, like if you'll sell the car or something)

Basically it's my only remaining concern. Because in the future I may buy new wheels with custom offset (not requiring spacers) and I worry those millimetres I lost in the front studs will compromise thread strength.

I did it and don’t believe that will be e case. Take off the stock center cap and look at the lug nuts. You will see that even in stock form the studs stick out past the nuts. In other words, even for a stock configuration, you will have full thread engagement even with a few mm shaved off. I guess it is possible an aftermarket wheel will have a thicker mounting flange but I doubt it.

Besides, tapping out the stock studs and pressing in new ones isn’t that tough and pretty cheap. Many have done that and pressed in longer studs for just this purpose but I figured they are paying in the front and, and I would pay on the back end....maybe....I would need to do that only if I do end up getting new wheels and even then only if the aftermarket flange is thicker than stock to the point I can’t get full thread engagement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone1
A question to all those (like @NXN7) who shaved off the front studs to prevent them from tapping on the back of the P3D stock 20” wheels with 15mm front spacers:

don't you worry about "ruining" a little bit the future upgradability of your car if you'll ever want to buy new aftermarket wheels? (or simply going back to factory setup without spacers, like if you'll sell the car or something)

Basically it's my only remaining concern. Because in the future I may buy new wheels with custom offset (not requiring spacers) and I worry those millimetres I lost in the front studs will compromise thread strength.

so basically what @jmaddr said - i only shaved 1-2mm off and the stud was sticking out about 10mm from the tightened lug nut. If for some reason aftermarket wheels need more thread (especially if you add something like MPP BBK), then simply replace the studs. For now, it’s a good compromise before you shelf $4-$5k on wheels with the right offset and new tires.

Reactions: jmaddr and Cyclone1
Thank you very much @jmaddr and @NXN7 for your detailed and useful answers!

FYI, I had an exchange with the Chinese seller on ebay who is selling the 15mm + 20mm pairs of bloxsport spacers (the ones you bought @NXN7), he's probably using Google Translate from chinese but the following sentence is understandable:

"The 2020 tesla performance need to cut 2-3mm studs length of original. 2019 do not need."

I wanted to see what you guys think about that. I know we have people here who could fit the 15mm in the front without shortening the studs, but I don't know that we ever concluded it was about a 2019 vs 2020 P3D difference.

@jmaddr, @NXN7: do you confirm you have a 2020 P3D?

Thank you very much @jmaddr and @NXN7 for your detailed and useful answers!

FYI, I had an exchange with the Chinese seller on ebay who is selling the 15mm + 20mm pairs of bloxsport spacers (the ones you bought @NXN7), he's probably using Google Translate from chinese but the following sentence is understandable:

"The 2020 tesla performance need to cut 2-3mm studs length of original. 2019 do not need."

I wanted to see what you guys think about that. I know we have people here who could fit the 15mm in the front without shortening the studs, but I don't know that we ever concluded it was about a 2019 vs 2020 P3D difference.

@jmaddr, @NXN7: do you confirm you have a 2020 P3D?

mine is 2018 and i still had to shave studs off. They told me the same thing and obviously it’s not the case. As far as i know, there are no changes to the stud lengths, but i have seen new 20” wheels that a slightly different than the ones from previous years. Not sure if that’s your case and if the updated wheel design affects this scenario. I did have 5mm front spacers as a backup though.