Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Spacers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spacers will affect suspension geometry, affect dynamic toe, steering effort, ride quality, and stability under braking, not to mention accelerated wear on the wheel bearings, control arm bushings, and etc. They can also be used to changing the handling bias of a vehicle through the change of track width and roll center. Wider is not always better. A proper offset wheel for the vehicle is the best but not always the least expensive option.
I agree with the first part with it changing vehicle dynamics, but it will be almost not noticeable at this level of offset change.
The argument that a 'proper offset wheel' will perform better than spacers isn't right though. Draw a free body diagram for forces. As long as you assume the bolted joint that is the spacer is sound (it should be, it's overkill for sure), you won't change anything by going to a wheel with that offset.

So do 15mm bloxsports fit on the rear with uberturbines?
Yes. That's what I use. Some people have had issues with the vehicle studs hitting the back side of the wheel casting, but that wasn't the case on my car.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I agree with the first part with it changing vehicle dynamics, but it will be almost not noticeable at this level of offset change.
The argument that a 'proper offset wheel' will perform better than spacers isn't right though. Draw a free body diagram for forces. As long as you assume the bolted joint that is the spacer is sound (it should be, it's overkill for sure), you won't change anything by going to a wheel with that offset.

Yes. That's what I use. Some people have had issues with the vehicle studs hitting the back side of the wheel casting, but that wasn't the case on my car.
Thank you! So if the wheel doesn't sit flush on the spacer and makes contact, I would have to shave the studs?

Restock Alert ✅

ALL SIZES of Aspira Auto Design spacers are in-stock and ready to ship!

Thanks,
Danny

Do you have any pics with the H&R spacers? That's 14mm front and 17mm rear correct? Thanks.
I don’t have any pure from the back looking down the front photos. But, I’ve attached one to give you an idea.

These only work on OEM rims right? Not aftermarket?
There’s no reason they wouldn’t work with aftermarket. But, if you’re going aftermarket just get the proper offset.

Attachments

• F73C04AE-1336-46C3-B6FC-8ADB23A520DE.jpeg
    F73C04AE-1336-46C3-B6FC-8ADB23A520DE.jpeg
    555.3 KB · Views: 411
I don’t have any pure from the back looking down the front photos. But, I’ve attached one to give you an idea.

There’s no reason they wouldn’t work with aftermarket. But, if you’re going aftermarket just get the proper offset.
I keep hearing this but for the M3P at least this is not easily achievable without compromises. The rear wheels need a wider offset than the fronts. So you end up either needing to go staggered or buying custom offsets that are different for front and rear. That in turn makes resale hard and also means you can’t rotate your tires without mounting and dismounting the tires. I’m the end, I just went through this and decided to just go with spacers. It actually gives you much more flexibility with little downside. I also hear of the supposed risks with spacers but haven’t found any evidence of truth on this at least not in the range of 5 to 20mm. I’ve been running spacers for a year without issue. For me, it was better than custom offsets.

I keep hearing this but for the M3P at least this is not easily achievable without compromises. The rear wheels need a wider offset than the fronts. So you end up either needing to go staggered or buying custom offsets that are different for front and rear. That in turn makes resale hard and also means you can’t rotate your tires without mounting and dismounting the tires. I’m the end, I just went through this and decided to just go with spacers. It actually gives you much more flexibility with little downside. I also hear of the supposed risks with spacers but haven’t found any evidence of truth on this at least not in the range of 5 to 20mm. I’ve been running spacers for a year without issue. For me, it was better than custom offsets.
@clerks That doesn't make sense, the M3P doesn't even come with different offsets front and rear, it surely doesn't need them.

A super wide track/autox focused fitment might need staggered offsets, but for street only wheels there's no practical reason or performance benefit for staggered offsets. Widening the rear track more than the front seems like it would be slightly detrimental to the handling balance of the car. (I'm not claiming I could actually feel the difference from a small change.)

You might want less offset in the rear for aesthetic reasons, but that's a far cry from needing it. 🙂

Reactions: KyleM3
These only work on OEM rims right? Not aftermarket?

Can someone explain how these spacers work. 14 and 17 doesn’t clear the brakes on the M3P generally. Does these solve that problem somehow? Do you need to extend or shave the bolts?

Clerks, I don’t know where you’re getting your information, but it isn’t accurate. TM1 responded to you accurately. You’re overthinking this a bit. There’s plenty of really educational wheel/offset threads on this forum.

Also, modding and maintaining resale value should never been in the same thought. Each mod narrows your pool of buyers more and more. You can’t have both. Most, however, don’t even know what offset is and wouldn’t notice a moderate change in offset when reselling.

@clerks That doesn't make sense, the M3P doesn't even come with different offsets front and rear, it surely doesn't need them.

A super wide track/autox focused fitment might need staggered offsets, but for street only wheels there's no practical reason or performance benefit for staggered offsets. Widening the rear track more than the front seems like it would be slightly detrimental to the handling balance of the car. (I'm not claiming I could actually feel the difference from a small change.)

You might want less offset in the rear for aesthetic reasons, but that's a far cry from needing it. 🙂
Correct. You need less offset in the rear. If you lower the car this becomes more apparent. It’s not as noticeable stock. When I said “more” I meant wider stance. The M3P lowered definitely needs less offset in the rear by amount 10mm. So you do either need spacers or wheels with different offsets. For me spacers give me more flexibility but understand those who might choose custom offsets. I didn’t want to go staggered which is one possibility.

Clerks, I don’t know where you’re getting your information, but it isn’t accurate. TM1 responded to you accurately. You’re overthinking this a bit. There’s plenty of really educational wheel/offset threads on this forum.

Also, modding and maintaining resale value should never been in the same thought. Each mod narrows your pool of buyers more and more. You can’t have both. Most, however, don’t even know what offset is and wouldn’t notice a moderate change in offset when reselling.
Sure but resale matters. If you go aggressive with your offsets you can’t really go back but with spacers you can remove them and get back to a stock stance.

Quick question! ‘21 M3LR, I have a set of 20in uberturbines from and looking to put it on my M3LR. What size spacers do you guys recommend to get flush fitment? I know there was lots of talk of 15mm not fitting on Ubers due to the performance hub but since I have the LR what difference does that make in terms of what spacer to use? Thanks!

Update. Ordered some new Rohanna to replace my Forgestars. Sadly, even with 20mm spacers, they did not have deep enough pockets in the wheels. The the factory lugs were grinding against the rim. Even tried adding a 5mm slip spacer on top of the 20mm and it still rubbed. So I’m stuck with 5mm all around absent a solution. Any ideas? Trimming the lugs might be a path but I’m not sure. The position of the wheel pockets was part of the the problem. Total bummer. Here she is with 5mm spacers. Sorry for the dirt. Snowstorm last week.

Attachments

• F07F6227-6F6B-43C6-9AF3-65C3C0617B00.jpeg
    F07F6227-6F6B-43C6-9AF3-65C3C0617B00.jpeg
    989.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 620C3372-D2A8-4F71-9350-818570C14717.jpeg
    620C3372-D2A8-4F71-9350-818570C14717.jpeg
    956.4 KB · Views: 258
Reactions: finaufan
Quick question! ‘21 M3LR, I have a set of 20in uberturbines from and looking to put it on my M3LR. What size spacers do you guys recommend to get flush fitment? I know there was lots of talk of 15mm not fitting on Ubers due to the performance hub but since I have the LR what difference does that make in terms of what spacer to use? Thanks!
The 15mm should work with Uberturines on a LR. I sold my Ubers to a guy that has that exact setup.

Reactions: Krix
I have the 14 mm H&R track+ spacers on the rear from Model+. They fit great on 21 M3P and come with extended shank lug nuts that allow you use your original studs. View attachment 781826
Can you explain how these work? Model plus says they can only be used on OEM wheels but I’m confused. Do these basically extend the factory lugs so that you can have enough thread length? Are they hard to install?