Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to order winter tires only for my P3D with the existing 20" wheels. On Tesla's website, they are $5k with wheels and tires. They are coming with Pirelli SotoZero II (Model 3 20" Sport Wheel and Winter Tire Package). The 19" set comes with Pirelli SotoZero 3 (Not for P3D - Model 3 19" Sport Wheel and Winter Tire Package). I was going to purchase tires only and mount on the existing wheels and rotate in the summer/winter. Price installed was $1,500

Question: Any know why the 19" are using the newer SotoZero 3 whereas 20" are coming with SotoZero II? Has anyone installed the SotoZero 3 and have feedback? I've heard a lot of negative reviews on this tire; however, I'm looking for a good winter tire for daily driving in cold northeast temperatures, not really to drive through a blizzard.

I was originally looking for the Bridgestone Blizzak tires; however, they only come in 235/45/20. Townfairtire.com says they will fit the car; however, Tesla service said they can't recommend that and would recommend staying with the 235/35/20.

Thanks!

Just go with some Michelin X Ice. :)

You don't need to get the exact size either. the 235/45 will get you a slightly taller sidewall which I think is better for winter. I am running 235/50/18 on my P3D with TSportline TST wheels and have had no issues whatsoever.

Reactions: Rownolds
Just go with some Michelin X Ice. :)

You don't need to get the exact size either. the 235/45 will get you a slightly taller sidewall which I think is better for winter. I am running 235/50/18 on my P3D with TSportline TST wheels and have had no issues whatsoever.

Thanks!

I'm a little worried about the tire being too big on the 20" wheel. A Blizzak 235/45/20 is 1.8" taller than stock whereas your 235/50/18 is only .8" taller. Tire Size Calculator

Reactions: TheLocNar
I just spoke with Sullivan Tire and they said that there are basically no winter or all-season tires available in this size and that there is a national backorder (specifically for Michelin A/S tires).

Has anyone had luck locating a place have the Pirelli tires in stock (Or any winter tire in 235/35/20)

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
We just ordered the Tsportline 18" wheels for our AWD performance 3 with performance package. We'll get the Mich Xice winter tires. I couldn't think of any reason we'd need 'performance' winter tires. I mean, we're just going to be doing daily driving until the snow melts, then we can put the 20" wheels back on and go crazy again.

We just ordered the Tsportline 18" wheels for our AWD performance 3 with performance package. We'll get the Mich Xice winter tires. I couldn't think of any reason we'd need 'performance' winter tires. I mean, we're just going to be doing daily driving until the snow melts, then we can put the 20" wheels back on and go crazy again.

Hopefully the backorder on those has been resolved.

@mrp3d Living in New England, as long as you plan on waiting until the roads are plowed clean, most of the tires will be fine. The X-Ice was released several years ago, and technology has moved on a bit. But they're fine. If you don't plan on driving in the snow and you're mostly worried about wet and dry cold handling, most of the tires you can find will be okay. Just don't waste your time with all seasons.

Something you need to be very careful about is the clearance between the tire and the suspension components. They're very close already on the 20" tires, so adding a higher sidewall will probably mean contact between the two. I ended up going with 18" wheels so I could get more sidewall, and they're fine. It also meant I had more options available for tires instead of only a couple offered in the OE 20" size.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I ended up purchasing a set of tires and wheels from TSportline that had Pirelli Sotozero 3 winter tires already installed. As @tomc603 mention, there are more tire options for the smaller wheel should the Sotozero 3's not work out.

I'd really recommend real snows, thus rims, for MA. Again unless you are not driving in actual snow. Also, if you bought Tsportline, why not smaller diameter; small rims mean less chance of tire or rim damage in winter.

Also as a reference, I test fit a 245/40r20, which is a lesser sidewall, and it didn't fit.

If you want to see a P3D with a winters on 19s, let me know, I'm local. And my total cost was way less than Tsportline, for much better winter performance!

Reactions: DrDabbles
I'd really recommend real snows, thus rims, for MA. Again unless you are not driving in actual snow. Also, if you bought Tsportline, why not smaller diameter; small rims mean less chance of tire or rim damage in winter.

Also as a reference, I test fit a 245/40r20, which is a lesser sidewall, and it didn't fit.

If you want to see a P3D with a winters on 19s, let me know, I'm local. And my total cost was way less than Tsportline, for much better winter performance!

I was debating the 18’s over the 19’s. Def better chance of damage on the 19’s but I like the looks of the bigger wheel.

I don’t plan on driving frequently in the snow so I’m hoping the “performance” Sotozero winter tire should be enough in cold weather. If I do drive in the snow, the roads will already be plowed 90% of the time and 95% of the driving I do is under 10 miles a day. That said, I may end up purchasing Blizzak tires for these 19” wheels if I find these tires suck this winter.

I was debating the 18’s over the 19’s. Def better chance of damage on the 19’s but I like the looks of the bigger wheel.

I don’t plan on driving frequently in the snow so I’m hoping the “performance” Sotozero winter tire should be enough in cold weather. If I do drive in the snow, the roads will already be plowed 90% of the time and 95% of the driving I do is under 10 miles a day. That said, I may end up purchasing Blizzak tires for these 19” wheels if I find these tires suck this winter.
I have a RWD 330i that I used to run Blizzaks on in the winter, but I switched to the Sottozero 3s this year since the Blizzaks were worn out. I'd say that on snow and ice, the Sottozero 3s are a little better than the Blizzaks at half tread depth or less, but the Blizzaks were a little better in the first half of the tread. The differences were fairly small, but noticeable. In the dry and wet, and for steering response, the Sottozero 3s are a LOT better than the Blizzaks, and they're much quieter as well. I think you'll like the Sottozero 3s.

Reactions: DrDabbles
I'm looking to order winter tires only for my P3D with the existing 20" wheels. ... I was going to purchase tires only and mount on the existing wheels and rotate in the summer/winter. Price installed was $1,500

@mrp3d , did you see this thread here? It captures similar topic of yours.

From my perspective, I was in a similar position to choose between 18" or 19" wheels for my Performance Upgrade option. 18" wheels were cutting it too close to the brake calipers, barely having any good clearance. Anything lodged in the inner wheel barrel of an 18" wheel may scratch & damage the wheel and/or brake caliper. So I compromised and went with 19" wheels and Michelin A/S 3+.

I got the TSportline 19inch rims with the
Pirelli Winter Sotto 235/40r19 tires. Drove them in the snow for the first time tonight and was not impressed. I was sliding all over the place....what do you guys recommend?
It sounds like you should get a max snow tire rather than a performance winter tire like the Sottozero. People around here seem to like the Nokian R3 and Michelin xice the best for max winter tires unless you want to go with studded tires..

I got the TSportline 19inch rims with the
Pirelli Winter Sotto 235/40r19 tires. Drove them in the snow for the first time tonight and was not impressed. I was sliding all over the place....what do you guys recommend?
Update - this problem seemed to go away later on my drive. I was just out to pick up my kid. Very low traction on the snowy roads when I first left my garage. But weirdly when I drove back from the highway onto the same snowy roads on the way back traction was 100% better. Can anyone tell me if these winter tires need to ‘warm up’ or I guess get sodden in snow and ice themselves before they start performing at their best? I haven’t experienced this before. Thanks

Update - this problem seemed to go away later on my drive. I was just out to pick up my kid. Very low traction on the snowy roads when I first left my garage. But weirdly when I drove back from the highway onto the same snowy roads on the way back traction was 100% better. Can anyone tell me if these winter tires need to ‘warm up’ or I guess get sodden in snow and ice themselves before they start performing at their best? I haven’t experienced this before. Thanks
Almost all tires will be slippery when they are brand new due to residual "mold release" chemicals left on the tires as part of the manufacturing process. In my experience, it can take anywhere from ten miles to a few hundred miles for the mold release to go away.

I have the Sottozero 3s on my car and have been very happy with them. They give up a little ultimate grip in snow and ice to a full on studless snow tire, but they're reasonably close, and they're much better in the dry and wet if you get mixed conditions during the winter on the roads you drive.

Almost all tires will be slippery when they are brand new due to residual "mold release" chemicals left on the tires as part of the manufacturing process. In my experience, it can take anywhere from ten miles to a few hundred miles for the mold release to go away.

I have the Sottozero 3s on my car and have been very happy with them. They give up a little ultimate grip in snow and ice to a full on studless snow tire, but they're reasonably close, and they're much better in the dry and wet if you get mixed conditions during the winter on the roads you drive.

I have been driving on them for about a 1,000kms before today though. Today was the first time I drove in the snow though on them. I decided to test them out since I am planning a trip to the mountains this weekend. Now I am unsure if I should drive...Thanks again for all the advice all

Can anyone tell me if these winter tires need to ‘warm up’

No. Winter tires don't need to warm up, or anything of that sort. The Sottos just aren't very good in the snow. They're best for people that mostly drive clear roads and highways in winter temperatures. Driving them in a dusting is fine, driving them in snow, not so much. There was a big long thread by a guy in Colorado that ended up with the Tesla winter tires, and he complained that the car was terrible and not a capable winter car. He swapped tires, and everything is fine now.