Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance with 18/19 rims range same as AWD with same rims?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am torn on upgrading from my model 3 long range to the performance, the only caveat is I love the smoothness of the 18’s with the 45 sidewall. Trying to see if I swap out the 20’s and put a 40 or 45 sidewall tire will I get true range closest to the 334 or 358 ( i know miles won’t change on the screen but as far as Battery range estimation ) . Most say the 315 range is only because of the 20’s but some have said it’s also because of the motors ? Appreciate all of your feedback! Happy holidays 😎

Model 3 stealth performance vehicles that were delivered with 18s, driven the same way one would drive a "regular long range" get similar "real" range (ignoring the mileage on the screen). Since the number on the screen doesnt have much to do with how far you will actually go, if you want 18s get them (but be aware that certain wheels will not fit due to design).

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Awesome thank you so much !!!! The wheels I want have been confirmed to fit over the larger brake calipers, just wanna make sure I can still get that smooth ride with the 18’s or 19’s? How’s your overall experience been

Awesome thank you so much !!!! The wheels I want have been confirmed to fit over the larger brake calipers, just wanna make sure I can still get that smooth ride with the 18’s or 19’s? How’s your overall experience been
Note that not having the Aeros will make a big difference, and not using the MXM4s specifically for Tesla will make a difference.

However, people do jam on the 18” stock Tesla wheels and grind the calipers in the rear, and push in the calipers in the front as much as possible, to make them fit. Not for everyone.

As far as ride is concerned, for the same tire, it should be pretty similar.

the difference is huge. 20" have like 20% less range easily compared to 18" aeros.
Yes, but again I don't do a lot of highway driving so drag is not that much of an issue. Additionally, it's the winter here so I can't tell how much gain I have from using smaller tires vs. loss of range from a cold battery. At a 90% charge with the 20s, the car was calculating a range of 274 miles and it is about the same with the 18s.