Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 preowned for fun 3rd car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know someday I'll get a Tesla, whether for my primary car or maybe as a fun 3rd car as an introduction to the Tesla family. So here are a few questions that I have. The first being would you ever buy a preowned Tesla? Maybe a long range 3 or even a performance? Not looking to break the bank here and ideally would like to not lose too much money on the purchase if I want to sell the car in a few months. Say in the $25-35k range.

So aside from buying a preowned Tesla. Have any of you bought a 3 for a fun third car? My current fun car is a 911 996 Carrera 4 Cabriolet. Fancy way of saying a convertible.

Anyway, curious on everyones thoughts here on this silly idea.

Since you asked for opinions...

I think of the Model 3 as the opposite of what people generally refer to as a "fun car", meaning a weekened car that you only cruise around in, or something you only take the the track or something.

Its the exact opposite of that, although it can be fun to drive. Its one of the best commuter cars in the world, for 80-90% of your regular commuting (work, store, kids to practice, driving to grandma's etc). It can also do double duty ass a fun car, but its a practical car that can be used as a fun one, not a "fun car" like a convertible 911, which is basically something ONLY driven to have fun since its not very practical at all.

Its like a super fun version of a toyota camry or something, that you can actually take to a track (like a BMW M340i or M3) not a replacement for a porsche 911.

I have no doubt that if I pick up a preowned 3 it will very quickly be my primary mode of transportation. Once the range anxiety goes away there would be no reason not to use the 3 all of the time. And I have a feeling the 3 would eventually become a Y.

And I have a feeling the 3 would eventually become a Y.
Not unless you really need the storage. Someone who enjoys driving a 911 wont really love driving a Model Y unless they also have an SUV they love driving.

We have both (a performance 3 and a performance Y), and while the Y is a perfectly serviceable car, and is plenty fast, its very much an "appliance" to me, where I still enjoy driving the 3, even after owning it since Dec of 2018.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Just sayin'.

@SeaNile - the Model 3 is great to drive. Just be aware that there's a federal credit for EVs, and it becomes a point of sale discount on Jan 1. Not sure if that same credit applied to used vehicles.

Rofl... I certainly didnt mean that, but now if I correct it I would also have to delete your post as well. Ill just apologize for the mistype.

I know someday I'll get a Tesla, whether for my primary car or maybe as a fun 3rd car as an introduction to the Tesla family. So here are a few questions that I have. The first being would you ever buy a preowned Tesla? Maybe a long range 3 or even a performance? Not looking to break the bank here and ideally would like to not lose too much money on the purchase if I want to sell the car in a few months. Say in the $25-35k range.

So aside from buying a preowned Tesla. Have any of you bought a 3 for a fun third car? My current fun car is a 911 996 Carrera 4 Cabriolet. Fancy way of saying a convertible.

Not a silly idea at all!

1. Not sure if I would purchase a preowned Tesla with prices the way they are now. But in the 25k range would be a nice fun car.
2. We purchased our 2022 M3LR and absolutely LOVE IT!
3. My fun car is a 996TT and have done a ton to make it the way I want for the occasional track days and fun around town.

So my thoughts: We love the M3LR! It is SUPER quick, great info/media/maps etc....we just took it on a 3000 mile round trip to Florida and back and it was a DREAM to drive (and charge)! I find driving the M3LR (as my wife's Daily Driver) is incredibly fun for the acceleration and all around a great car. With that being said, I also LOVE my Porsche 996TT. They are two different vehicles. To be honest, I do find that I prefer to take our Tesla out more so than my 996TT. But for pure fun of the exhaust notes and the handling the 996TT is simply a joy to drive! It is also a BEAUTY of a vehicle and would not trade it for anything.

So if you can, why not get both?

Reactions: father_of_6
Tesla Model 3 is more similar to a Porshe 911 than many would expect.
Rear mounted motor with low center of gravity makes for a nimble and fun driving experience.
Single speed transmission is even faster reacting than even precision Porsche stick shifting.
Handles well, good throttle response, fuel efficient, good handling, good brakes and low profile tires on largish wheels.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
maybe as a fun 3rd car [...] ideally would like to not lose too much money on the purchase if I want to sell the car in a few months.

Ha?
You need a car for a few months?
A 3rd car?
And you are concerned about entry cost? And depreciation?

This makes about ZERO sense, all around!

This makes even LESS sense now.
Model 3 will never be as "fun" as 996, and used Model 3's depreciate as fast as used condoms (especially now, on the cusp of Project Highland launch).

Not if you daddy pays for it, it isn't.
Otherwise, it is.

Either way, have fun with it!