Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 purchase waiting game

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading several of these posts it looks like I’m not alone. I submitted my order on Jan 10th. The latest text I received was on Feb 13th that stated, “ Delivery timing update - we now expect your model 3 to be built within the next 2 weeks.” Well, that was over 3 weeks ago and no updates since. I’ve contacted the delivery dealership and they said there is no VIN assigned...I’m not sure if they send inaccurate messages to keep your spirits up or if their system is just poorly managed. Anyway, back to the waiting game.

Hey Welcome!

There's three different waiting room for SR, LR & Performance. Check them out and you can see all the discussions and theories we have there.

I see you live in Florida and basing off your region, you should have a VIN next week to make delivery before Q1

Reactions: CheddarChiz
Yep expect poor estimates, poor communication, and inaccurate information throughout the buying process. And hope you are not the poor sap who also ends up with numerous build quality issues - I got lucky but some others, not so much.

Nobody needs to end up with poor build quality issues. Everyone should plan to spend 45 minutes doing a thorough pre-purchase inspection on their cars prior to signing any paperwork. If the build quality does not meet your expectations you have the right to simply say no thank you, I’ll wait for another one to be assigned.

Yes, you may have to wait even longer and be patient. But it’s better than taking delivery of a car you are not happy with and them belly aching about it for the next four years on this forum.

Reactions: vickh and bcpm3p
Nobody needs to end up with poor build quality issues. Everyone should plan to spend 45 minutes doing a thorough pre-purchase inspection on their cars prior to signing any paperwork. If the build quality does not meet your expectations you have the right to simply say no thank you, I’ll wait for another one to be assigned.
That's a good idea if there are severe issues but I don't think I would want to wait another 2-3 months or whatever for another car that might be worse. Not sure how many times they are going to let you re-order the car. But, definitely spend the time to document every issue before you leave with the car.

That's a good idea if there are severe issues but I don't think I would want to wait another 2-3 months or whatever for another car that might be worse. Not sure how many times they are going to let you re-order the car. But, definitely spend the time to document every issue before you leave with the car.

You don’t need to reorder the car. You just request they assign a different VIN. It’s the same reservation number.

You don’t need to reorder the car. You just request they assign a different VIN. It’s the same reservation number.
That may be, but unless there's a surplus of cars with your exact configuration, you are going to have to wait for another from the factory. There definitely were no additional cars in the pipeline during the mad rush near the end of last year. Maybe different now though.

That may be, but unless there's a surplus of cars with your exact configuration, you are going to have to wait for another from the factory. There definitely were no additional cars in the pipeline during the mad rush near the end of last year. Maybe different now though.

No doubt it takes patience. But it happened to me twice, and in both cases I waited for another VIN to be assigned and the next car that showed up was perfect both times. If the defects are going to bother you it’s best to wait it out.

Final update: I received a text about 5 days back that said, your vehicle has shipped...and than another one a day later that said, you vehicle has arrived in Orlando! I think they need to tweak their notification system a bit. On the bright side, I picked my vehicle up today and it’s awesome! I’m very satisfied and it was worth the wait!