Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Quality Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started to install Mud Flaps on my new LR AWD.
To my surprise, I noticed the bottom nut is missing. Went to Service Center if I could pick the Nut and just install it myself. They think it is also missing the backing nut behind the bumper. So have to schedule Mobile Service (next week).
I was just speechless. Coming from ICV just not used to missing Nuts/screws.

IMG_4616.JPG
IMG_4616.JPG

These types of issues are always getting reported here and most likely other forums. I understand the rapid ramp of production with the 3 but it comes down to factory assembly. No excuse - this isn't 1970s car production. My October built 2020 had no driver door sill plate installed. Nobody cared to check this at the plant? Nothing noted at PDI once at delivery center? QC and laziness.

They prioritize delivering cars to customers over quality control. Tesla is mortgaging their future by putting revenues over customers. Look at what shady stuff Tesla is doing in China already:

Tesla China responds to complaints about locally-made Model 3 delivered with HW2.5

My car was shipped with obvious flaws. There's no way they missed the flaws, they just didn't care about me (the customer that was going to ultimately received the car).

First challenge was getting an appointment scheduled. The first available appointment was for today.

Second challenge - having the Mobile Service Technician challenge actually show up for the appointment. No communication if the Tech is coming or not.

Third Challenge - You cannot even contact and talk to someone about the status.

Fourth Challenge - Do not know what to do

These types of issues are always getting reported here and most likely other forums. I understand the rapid ramp of production with the 3 but it comes down to factory assembly. No excuse - this isn't 1970s car production. My October built 2020 had no driver door sill plate installed. Nobody cared to check this at the plant? Nothing noted at PDI once at delivery center? QC and laziness.

Interesting. My 12/19 production car was also missing the drivers door sill plate. I suspect they just ran out of them for a few VINs as the cars were being flogged down the assembly line to meet EOY delivery schedules. Remembering back to that month I would've much rather had the car than the sill plate. SC took care of it in a couple of minutes.

Visiting an automobile assembly line is a fascinating experience, and one that will likely change your perspective. When I saw how Fisher Bodies were matched to frame assemblies in the 70's I was amazed that the cars arrived at dealerships as trouble free as they did. Body panels just plain fit on unit bodies today. In the old days alignment was done with body shims. I hope one day to visit a Tesla plant. Will probably just make me love mine more. ;)

Maybe They put in Preprinted PDI sheets before they finish assembly. I did not have any traditional PDI sheet in the car I have received on my other cars. When I picked the car at Tesla Center, the SA who had me sign documents told, they dont sell in traditional way. Just sign the documents. If anything wrong I find in car, I should just open Service tickets.

Trying to get used to Tesla way of no customer service.

I found out it is very helpful that you write down the full name of a service tech at your preferred Tesla service center, their exact phone number (including their service center phone extension), and their exact email address. Keep this info handy. A lot of concerns and questions can be answered through this person via phone or email and it can save you hours waiting on the Tesla phone lines.

Interesting. My 12/19 production car was also missing the drivers door sill plate. I suspect they just ran out of them for a few VINs as the cars were being flogged down the assembly line to meet EOY delivery schedules. Remembering back to that month I would've much rather had the car than the sill plate. SC took care of it in a couple of minutes.
So it seems they ran out of a lot of plates and didn't get more for a while. (10/19 - 12/19) EOY delivery is probably the case - just let service take care of the missing plates later. Still.... doesn't leave a good taste in a buyer's mouth.

Reactions: jpfive