Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Question For Those Who Also Have a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after 2 1/2 years of waiting, we (like tons of others on here) picked up our DM M3 yesterday. Can't help but compare it to our existing MS and have a question......

When driving in the 3, completely silent, with the radio off, we hear a high pitched whine that goes higher when pressing on the gas and lower when letting up. Kind of like a jet engine whine, or when you try to tune in an AM station on an old-timey radio. Is this an idiosyncrosy inherent to the M3 due to less insulation (or whatever?) that we should simply accept? Or something that we should question? We certainly do not hear any such noise in our MS, but of course that car is a different price point and build.

Appreciate any information you may be able to share! Thanks!

I have both and I have heard what you're describing. My S is single motor, my earlier Model 3 was single motor, and now I have a Performance Model 3 with dual motors. I would say the sound you're describing is approximately the same in both Model 3's. Of course, the rear motors in the 3 are of a different type than the S, and the inverter / drivetrain electronics are re-designed in the 3. I chalked up the noise to those differences and just enjoy my Tesla grin when I punch it....

@RandyS & everyone else - Thanks for sharing your first hand knowledge on this! It sounds like it’s probably “just” an idiosyncrasy that we’ll need to adjust to. I’m making a service appt anyways for a couple of other items (crummy touch-up paint, and wonky bent hubcap we can’t get seated correctly), so will add this to our list and inquired just to confirm.

Thanks a million! Geez, I love this forum!

Good morning all! - Just checking back in with an update on our M3 motor whine.......Took it in to SODO Seattle service center last week. Did a ride along with a super nice gentleman who heard the motor whine, but did not indicate if he thought it was within specs or not. Told me he would take it out again and make a (high tech) recording of the sound and send it to the engineering geeks who would make that determination......Fast forward a week to today.....called to check in on service progress for other items and verdict on motor. They're replacing the front motor. I was told that it's not a safety issue. Something about pins not lining up properly within the motor which resulted in the louder-than-normal whine?? All-in-all.....it's nice to know that it actually was an issue and not inherent to the new M3s, and that we're not crazy! Will have more info in another week or so when we head over to Seattle to pickup (and return our loaner MS 75 which, incidentally, is NOT updated to v9 screen - yay!).

• Informative
Reactions: Msjulie
Not sure.....We have a 2014 P85 and don't notice anything except for regen brakes occasionally. The loaner is a 2018 75 and we hear the motor whine much more distinctly (accel/decel/regen) in that. Again, not sure if it's the age/progression of Tesla's build (less insulation?? different motors?? earlier cars better built and more attention to detail?) or if it's simply the difference in the models. This was initial concern when we were comparing our new DM M3 to our "old" P85 MS, so we weren't sure if it was actually an issue or just inherent to the M3 build.

I hear it, but I swear I've heard it in every S I've driven, too. Didn't even think twice about it in the 3. Could be the motor itself, could be gear whine. But I think it should be considered 'normal' unless you think it's unusually loud, whatever that means to you.