Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 randomly unlocking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twice in the past two days, I've received a notification that "Tesla doors are now unlocked". Both times, neither my wife or I was close enough to the car to unlock by proximity, which usually takes a few tries and cursing at the car to activate anyway, nor did we unlock by app. Is this a known thing or recent update bug?

Twice in the past two days, I've received a notification that "Tesla doors are now unlocked". Both times, neither my wife or I was close enough to the car to unlock by proximity, which usually takes a few tries and cursing at the car to activate anyway, nor did we unlock by app. Is this a known thing or recent update bug?
Are you sure the car ever locked? Is the issue it did not lock, or that it locked and then it unlocked?

I assume the first, as being close to the car does not unlock the car. It only allows you the ability to unlock the car by pulling it he door handle

Last edited:
Is that notification from a third-party app? I've never seen that one in the Tesla app.

I can't 100% confirm that the car locked, but it always has when walked away from. I hadn't seen that notification before either. All we have is the Tesla app, no third party apps. Both times, sure enough, I went to the app and the car was unlocked. I locked it manually from the app and it did not reoccur.

The notification occurs after the car has been left unlocked for a while, not at the moment of unlocking. I'd guess that you are using the keycard to either open or start the car which deactivates walk-away locking until the next drive cycle.

Walkaway lock will not function if you've started the car with the keycard, app, or a phone that is no longer detected. If you're unsure, just tap the lock button on the screen before getting out and it will fold the mirrors (lock) immediately after you close the door.

There are a few reasons the car doesn't lock. They are listed in the manual. The most common I think is you were within range for 5mins. Like you got out and hung out in your driveway or garage for a while.

If you use the key fob:
"For increased security, passive locking and unlocking disables after being stationary for five minutes while within vehicle range when the vehicle is not in use (for example, you are standing outside your vehicle). In this situation, you must shake or press a button on the key fob to re-enable passive locking and unlocking."

If you use phone as key:
"If Model 3 detects an authenticated key for five minutes after you exit the vehicle and close all doors, Walk-Away Lock disables and doors do not lock when you walk away. In this case, you must manually lock your vehicle until after your next drive."

Also make sure your phone settings aren't limiting the app. It needs to run unrestricted in the background. Check your battery use restrictions or permissions etc. You shouldn't have any issues opening the door.

I have never had that happen to me during regular use.

However, I had my car in for repairs and gave them the key card. While they were working on it I did get that notification a few times. They had opened the doors and left them open while the work was going on.