Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL 3 RATTLE VIBRATION

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had it happen as well. Almost at the exact same mileage as well, maybe 2300 at the time. It seems to be related to something near the speaker and the a pillar. I push on a few things there to be sure they were clipped in right and haven’t heard it since.

At first I could touch the front left of the dash and make it stop and it would come backed soon as I took my hand away. Was driving me nuts

I had a rattle for a few weeks that I finally found. It was the passenger side seatbelt buckle hitting the B pillar. Straighten it out and all quiet.
Sound appeared to come from a lot of different places so it took a bit to find. Must be the Tesla’s acoustics.

I read about a few different places it could be from and I thought I had eliminated all of them when trying to identify the source of the sound. I checked the 1) top front dash itself 2) the wood dash 3) the plastic covers around the steering wheel stalk 4) front speaker grill. I was convinced it was coming from the speaker grill.

I had taken it to the SC 3x with felt tape applied under top front dash and then “something” done around the speaker grill. Just picked up my car with felt applied to the plastic around the steering wheel stalk which the tech identified as the likely source during a drive. When I was driving it defiently sounded like it was coming from further forward, around the speaker. Turns out my drive since picking up have been quiet.

I’m hopeful that it’s finally fixed but we will see. I’ve been duped before thinking I had fixed it but because it’s intermittent it’s often hard to tell if it’s actually been fixed.

Reactions: Judders
I had a fender liner rattle on my car that sounded pretty similar to that. If you sit inside the car and have someone tap around under the fender liner you might be able to replicate it. On my car the rattle was VERY noticeable at certain higher speeds. I was able to get the service guys to fix it.
By fender liner do you mean the front wheel well liners? What was the fix for this exactly? I’ve looked for missing push pins or w/e and didn’t really see any that might be causing it some movement

By fender liner do you mean the front wheel well liners? What was the fix for this exactly? I’ve looked for missing push pins or w/e and didn’t really see any that might be causing it some movement
Mine was not missing and clips. There was just some spot that it was hitting. I think the service guy stuck some foam in one spot and bent a tab.

But like I said sit in the car and have someone stick their hand into the wheel well and tap around the fender liner to see if you can reproduce the noise. Also if it is a fender liner noise it will be speed sensitive and not really sensitive to a bumpy road.

My Model 3 with 2000 miles has developed a rattle when I drive on non smooth roads. The noise comes from under the front dashboard left of the steering wheel. Anyone else notice this?

I have 5,000 miles on my Tesla 3, and I started hearing a rattle when on bumpy roads coming from the front left wheel area. I thought it was coming from inside the dashboard, and it might be. But I also wonder if it’s coming from the front wheel well. The car seems to be driving rougher than before the rattle started. Has anyone experienced this? I have an appt with the SC but want to be informed before I meet with a tech.

Solved it today! Let’s see if it comes back. I will post again.

Tried to attach video but file too large, sorry.

When driving over bumps, this sound would come from the dash area. Not always, and I was unable to pinpoint certain conditions when it would occur. The sound resembled a loose or broken plastic clip. Car is 7 months old and I first noticed at month 1. I saw a post in another forum that it could be HVAC related and solved the rattle by adjusting the climate control:

Rattle was present while in Manual climate control.

Switched to Auto / not Synched - rattle still present

Then switched to Sync - rattle gone

Then switched back to Manual to see if still Ok - yes, still no rattle

Not sure if this is a long term fix yet, but I hope it helps you deal with the maddening noise.

• Informative
Reactions: mrau
My car sounds exactly like that, how did you fix it ... I posted a thread this morning but hadn't seen this thread, my post is here with video and photos.

New Model 3 - Rattle noises

link to video here: Dropbox - SourceofVibration.mov - Simplify your life
Honestly it is hard to say what exactly that fixed it for me. Your issue may be a little different seeing as you can stop the noise by placing youR hand on the trim.

I removed the front speaker grill and felt taped all of the plastic tabs that could make contact. I also had the steering wheel housing removed and added foam So it does not creak. Ultimately what seemed to resolve it was the the wood dash seemed very close on one side of the back of the center screen mount and we inserted foam there to prevent it from making contact. The creak did come back many months later and I removed the center dash again and felt taped everything as well as removed all of the messy plastic welds and then securely reinstalled it which resolved the issue.

For me I think the primary sound was coming from this center dash and sometimes removing it and reseating more securely may resolve it on its own but these are all of the areas I might check to fix the noise. It tortured me for months so I was willing to try anything and everything!!