Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Rear Window: Only Partial Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw this Model 3 today and noticed that the tinting does not go all the way to the back like the original prototypes. Without full infrared heat blocking it may get a little hot back there. The rear passenger seems to be covered from above, but not from behind. What caught my attention was the rear defroster heating element lines, which are not as visible on the Model X because the tinting goes all the way to the end of the glass. One advantage would be better visibility through the rear view mirror.
IMG_2959.jpg
IMG_2956.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2959.jpg
    IMG_2959.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 441
  • Tesla-Model-3-rear-side-view-from-above-in-red.jpg
    Tesla-Model-3-rear-side-view-from-above-in-red.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 180
Will it be possible to have tint applied in a way that will make the rear glass look seamless and solid? How would that work seeing as the stock tint has a gradient from dark to transparent?

I'm wondering this as well. I plan to apply tint to all windows except the windshield but I'm concerned about how tint will be applied to the rear window with the gradient already there? I suppose you could just have them apply it to the whole glass but I'd be afraid the roof glass would become way too dark.

^ It would cost a fortune to tint the roof & rear glass, considering the size and curvature.
Lots of opportunity to get shrink marks and bubbles in the tint.

I hope Tesla offers a Full Rear Glass Tint option, in states where Rear Tint is allowed.
I'll pay the obscene Tesla Option price for that.

^ It would cost a fortune to tint the roof & rear glass, considering the size and curvature.
Lots of opportunity to get shrink marks and bubbles in the tint.

I hope Tesla offers a Full Rear Glass Tint option, in states where Rear Tint is allowed.
I'll pay the obscene Tesla Option price for that.

It would cost less and be easier than tinting the X's front glass.

SUVs have different legal requirements regarding tinting compared to cars. That is why it isn't tinted all the way back. It is going to be tricky for people who want the lower part tinting. Being in TX, I definitely want the rest tinted, but will see how it will end up looking.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
There has been a requirement (since 2009 I believe) to have lowE glass in autos in California. Low E can be a thin film evaporative or sputtering which may or may not have a tint in the visible. I believe there was an earlier discussion of proprietary glass developed in house for Tesla. Since Tesla is also in the solar panel and roof material business they will be well steeped in a very well known technology. Before I would be adding tints to the glass I would sure want to know what is being used in the Model 3 so as to not screw up the tech.
It would be great if we could get the glass transmission / reflection specs before we start paying for " tints" .

Full disclosure - worked at OCLI where Space Shuttle windows (which had a "bit" of science for selecting wavelengths that went through) and Solar Cell covers for spacecraft had thin film coatings that were protective from the "bad" wavelengths. Being a blue eyed blond melanoma magnet I too am interested in what the 3 has.

There has been a requirement (since 2009 I believe) to have lowE glass in autos in California. Low E can be a thin film evaporative or sputtering which may or may not have a tint in the visible. I believe there was an earlier discussion of proprietary glass developed in house for Tesla. Since Tesla is also in the solar panel and roof material business they will be well steeped in a very well known technology. Before I would be adding tints to the glass I would sure want to know what is being used in the Model 3 so as to not screw up the tech.
It would be great if we could get the glass transmission / reflection specs before we start paying for " tints" .

Full disclosure - worked at OCLI where Space Shuttle windows (which had a "bit" of science for selecting wavelengths that went through) and Solar Cell covers for spacecraft had thin film coatings that were protective from the "bad" wavelengths. Being a blue eyed blond melanoma magnet I too am interested in what the 3 has.
It is my understanding that the lowE requirement is for the windshield only and that the side windows of cars allow UVA to enter. I am no expert, but I think UVB is blocked by all glass whereas UVA requires a special treatment to block the harmful rays. Because of this, more skin cancer is found on the left arm and face of individuals (unless they live in a right-side steering country :D).

I'm wondering this as well. I plan to apply tint to all windows except the windshield but I'm concerned about how tint will be applied to the rear window with the gradient already there? I suppose you could just have them apply it to the whole glass but I'd be afraid the roof glass would become way too dark.

I think if you tinted to the beam above the backseat, the gradient would not look bad. There wouldn't be an obvious seam really, it would just be a bit darker above the backseat passengers than it was above the driver. If you really wanted to you could tint the middle glass piece as well to darken it up.