Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Reluctance Motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Discussions of the innovative design of the M3 motor wonder how Tesla has eliminated the pulsing effect of other reluctance motors. Indeed they have in forward motion but I think I have noticed it when the car starts to roll back slowly on slight grades. Sometimes the resistance stops the rearward motion. It's not a flaw, just a curiosity.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Discussions of the innovative design of the M3 motor wonder how Tesla has eliminated the pulsing effect of other reluctance motors. Indeed they have in forward motion but I think I have noticed it when the car starts to roll back slowly on slight grades. Sometimes the resistance stops the rearward motion. It's not a flaw, just a curiosity.
I may not understand your question correctly but the motor isn’t doing anything. The battery isn’t sending power to it and the slow roll isn’t enough to really generate any power back to the battery - same reason the car doesn’t always completely stop on its own..not enough regen at super slow axle rotation.

There is reportedly some permanent magnets in the motor. When the car rolls back, the rotor turns within the magnetic field and will be subject to pulsing torque as the iron poles of the rotor pass the magnets. You cannot feel this going forward but I can drifting back.

There is reportedly some permanent magnets in the motor. When the car rolls back, the rotor turns within the magnetic field and will be subject to pulsing torque as the iron poles of the rotor pass the magnets. You cannot feel this going forward but I can drifting back.
Lol, how fast are you drifting back? If I’m on an incline I use the brakes. A negligible roll back of a couple of meters doesn’t cause me any issues.

I only notice it on a barely perceptible roll back. The effect sometimes stops the car after a few barely felt "pulses". It's like a very small piston engine is being turned through compression. I can't feel it going forward. I think it's related to where the permanent magnets are in the pole pieces. They're probably not centered and are positioned to drastically reduce in one direction the characteristic pulsing of reluctance motors together with the proper switching and shaping of the current in the stator coils. This is very revolutionary design. This car is the highest tech device an individual can own other than private airliners.

Last edited:
I only notice it on a barely perceptible roll back. The effect sometimes stops the car after a few barely felt "pulses". It's like a very small piston engine is being turned through compression. I can't feel it going forward. I think it's related to where the permanent magnets are in the pole pieces. They're probably not centered and are positioned to drastically reduce in one direction the characteristic pulsing of reluctance motors together with the proper switching and shaping of the current in the stator coils. This is very revolutionary design. This car is the highest tech device an individual can own other than private airliners.
Mmmm, don’t think so but just use your brakes and you’ll be fine.