Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Remote reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certainly nothing that the owner or consumer could do. Tesla's service department may have a way to do it if you call them, prove you're the owner, and explain the problem. This is also dependent on the car having a good cellular connection and the software is running well enough to respond to commands.

Certainly nothing that the owner or consumer could do. Tesla's service department may have a way to do it if you call them, prove you're the owner, and explain the problem. This is also dependent on the car having a good cellular connection and the software is running well enough to respond to commands.

Many thanks for your reply. I’m asking this, because my car refuses to connect to my home wifi, every time after returning from a trip. Sometimes I forget to reset before I step out, so a remote trigger would be a convenient workaround.

Now that I've owned the car for a little bit, I can tell you the car only attempts to connect to your home's Wi-Fi for 2 reasons: When doing a software update, and if your Wi-Fi signal is stronger than the LTE one, which it rarely is in the garage. I don't think your car has an issue at all OP, but there's a very easy way to find out: Force it to connect manually, and if it connects, no problem. And even if it doesn't, it might not be the car's fault. Does it have enough signal strength? If you can't connect manually, move your router to the garage, and it absolutely should connect there. Only if it doesn't connect under those conditions, I'd suspect the car.

Finally, I turned off Wi-Fi, and the car turned it back on automatically yesterday, for a software update. I turned it back off today. As somebody said, there's no reason to connect to your Wi-Fi except for software updates. Hope this helps.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Now that I've owned the car for a little bit, I can tell you the car only attempts to connect to your home's Wi-Fi for 2 reasons: When doing a software update, and if your Wi-Fi signal is stronger than the LTE one, which it rarely is in the garage. I don't think your car has an issue at all OP, but there's a very easy way to find out: Force it to connect manually, and if it connects, no problem. And even if it doesn't, it might not be the car's fault. Does it have enough signal strength? If you can't connect manually, move your router to the garage, and it absolutely should connect there. Only if it doesn't connect under those conditions, I'd suspect the car.

Finally, I turned off Wi-Fi, and the car turned it back on automatically yesterday, for a software update. I turned it back off today. As somebody said, there's no reason to connect to your Wi-Fi except for software updates. Hope this helps.

I totally understand you, thanks for that. But the issue is, that the car doesn’t connect at all, without intervention. Even when there’s a software update.

When I do a manual connect, the car complains that it can’t connect, because it can’t get an IP address from my server.

Thats nonsense, because I’ve been testing to connect with my phone, laptop and tablet and it works well, without any IP problems.

Resetting the car, immediately automatically connects to the wifi, the moment it comes up again.

So I do suspect there’s an issue with the software.

Not sure if it’s the same issue, but if the WiFi signal to my garage is cut off for any reason, I need to reboot my 20 M3 before it will reconnect.

In my case I needed a repeater to get a reliable signal to the garage. But I occasionally disconnect the repeater to hardwire my laptop or game console. When I plug the repeater back in, the car detects the WiFi but will NOT connect until I reboot the car. Been this way for multiple updates. I’ll get an update notice, but can’t install until I reboot.

When I do a manual connect, the car complains that it can’t connect, because it can’t get an IP address from my server.

So I do suspect there’s an issue with the software.

I think it's a bug. I've seen this too, many times. For me though, usually if I just wait longer, it actually connects. The error comes up, but the connection still happens if I wait a bit longer.

In any case, I suspect it'll be fixed eventually.