Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else having issue with remote climate controls lately?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been having issues activating climate controls remotely on both my 2018 Model 3 and my GF's 2023 Model Y. For the last few weeks, trying to turn the climate on via the app results in a timeout error. Both cars have been rebooted, apps have been force quit and restarted, everything (cars and apps) is on the latest available software version. Anyone else having this issue?

Reactions: SuperPigDots
Are you getting this error?

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Are you getting this error?

No the error is something like “Command failed. Try again’

I’ll you try a soft reboot by pressing and holding both steering wheel buttons. if that doesn't work submit a service request via the app. most likely they will remote diag and send the update again (unless they find an issue and schedule service

same issue here. Tried everything no luck. Service request submitted
I've had this problem for quite a while now and it seems to be getting worse. I also tried all of the suggestions, updated app, rebooted car, airplane mode on then off it's ridiculous! When you have a car that can practically drive itself but you can't remotely turn on the heater it should be embarrassing for Tesla.
Please let us know how you make out with the service request. I'm curious to hear what excuse Tesla gives you for it not working.

I've had this problem for quite a while now and it seems to be getting worse. I also tried all of the suggestions, updated app, rebooted car, airplane mode on then off it's ridiculous! When you have a car that can practically drive itself but you can't remotely turn on the heater it should be embarrassing for Tesla.
Please let us know how you make out with the service request. I'm curious to hear what excuse Tesla gives you for it not working.
Service has done a remote check. Nothing wrong. Asked me to note down exact time when trying to remote heating up interior. Guess what, no need to note down anything since last few days. Somehow works flawless...!

I bought my Tesla Model 3 a few weeks ago, and I have had this issue since day one (as far as I can recall). I noticed that it will work if I clear the app cache, force stop it, restart it, and then try the climate button. But that is totally inconvenient and time-consuming. I want to try waiting for a reconnect like @69KWH suggested because that would make sense. The app totally lags to reconnect to the car after opening and that reconnect time would align with the amount of attempts that I usually have to make before it works. It would also make sense from the app clearing procedure I mentioned, since that procedure would theoretically force the app to reconnect quicker. It would seem that this climate control response problem is a byproduct of the app taking forever to reconnect every time that I open it. I will pay closer attention now to these details and see if the climate controls are related to the overall connection issues. I will also try adding my Tesla app to my split tunneling on my VPN in case the connection issues are related to VPN use. I have found that a VPN is the issue with connection stuff the majority of the time (because app makers are lazy and don't account for security-minded/privacy-minded VPN users... even though VPN use is more and more mainstream nowadays). I will report back here in a bit with my results.

And yeah, @Ironman793 is totally correct imo - Tesla should take some pride in their techie and high-class reputation and make sure their app is working correctly (like not taking forever to reconnect to the car).

I am curious if this problem is only happening with Android users and/or specific devices or with all devices and mobile OS. I am running the app on an Android Galaxy S23 myself.

I can verify with my tests that, for me, the climate control not responding to my input is 100% a conseqence of the connection to the car. Once the app changes from "'last seen x hours ago" to "parked", the climate control responds to my input 100% of the time. The reconnect is almost always slow though, usually taking about 1 minute to 3 minutes. I am in central L.A. county too, so connection signal is not the issue.

Reactions: wupcwww