Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reservations ($1000 down) will be accepted in Tesla stores....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had planned on going to the Cincinnati store to reserve on 3/31, felt like it was time for a small trip out of town anyway. Then I wasn't sure if I should go reserve it without even seeing a drawing of it due to the time of the reveal. But if the reservation fee is refundable, seems worth it. I can't think of a scenario in which I'm going to absolutely hate how the car looks. As long as it isn't one of those hideous vehicles that looks like you're driving a refrigerator box, I should be okay with it.
Or a bubble hockey game.

Come on, Transepoch, be a sport! For $2K at least put Max*'s order in first!
I'm being a great sport, those deposits cost money. Besides, without knowing if multiples or proxies are allowed, this way is safest (he doesn't say the waiting & registering for him have to be at the same time,) and he seems fine with fooling around anyway.

EDIT: Not to mention this way he isn't forced to be the guinea pig, so I can work all the kinks out and have the process down.

Last edited:
Will those in earlier time zones get to put in orders first?

For instance, will people on the East Coast of USA be able to get an order number 3 hours earlier than those going to store openings on the West Coast?

I wonder where you will have to be in the world to get Model 3 #1 ...
Greenwich, England.

Because of Greenwich Mean Time, we will get first pickings. 5 hours before East USA, 8 before west coasters.

Therefore anyone who wants me to reserve for them, so they are number 1 could you please give £1,000,000 for the privilege. Paypal will do.:smile:

Will those in earlier time zones get to put in orders first?

For instance, will people on the East Coast of USA be able to get an order number 3 hours earlier than those going to store openings on the West Coast?

I wonder where you will have to be in the world to get Model 3 #1 ...
US cars will undoubtedly be shipped first so in theory those waiting in line for store openings on the East Coast will be first. But if the first GP (not founders) shipments are near an end of quarter they may prioritize West Coast shipments (or even Bay Area) so they can avoid shipping delays and count them sooner for earnings. They have done this w/ Model S in the past.

Further, with Model S there were 4 separate reservation lists (I haven't paid attention to Model X). Founders, Signatures, Roadster Friends and Family (R-list), and General Production (P-list). They were delivered in that order regardless of reservation date. We know there won't be a Signature Model 3 but no idea of they'll have a "current customer" priority list or not. Although that seems unfair from Tesla's view it makes sense. Current customers are much more likely to be supportive of early car teething problems than a new customer. And Tesla has yet to deliver a model without significant teething problems and I expect Model 3 to be the same. It took Tesla a few thousand Model S's to get the kinks worked out. Those of you clamoring to be #1, be careful what you wish for.

• Love
Reactions: forumman83
I called my nearest store and was told they would not begin taking reservations for Model 3 until 1pm (eastern time zone) on March 31.

That would make sense if the central time zone starts at noon, mountain at 11 and pacific at 10am. Yesterday I was at the store in Boston and they had no information to provide but that was certainly no surprise.

I called my nearest store and was told they would not begin taking reservations for Model 3 until 1pm (eastern time zone) on March 31.
That will allow the West Coast buyers to get some extra sleep in the Pacific time zone!

To speed the process, maybe Tesla Motors will have a PDF form to print and fill out. Better yet, if we already have a Tesla account, we might just log on at the store.

Like Apple Computer with pre-reservations, do we get two lines on the 31st, one for the non-account holders and one for the account holders?

Better yet, Tesla should request that new customers create their Tesla account before visiting the store. That would save a LOT of time.

At this point I'm pretty sure the folks in the stores are not privy to procedures that will be used on the 31st. I just called the Paramus-Route 17 location in NJ for the second time in 10 days*. Both times I was told they would be starting to take reservations at 10 AM, but didn't have much else in the way of details. Pretty different from what sunkat was told. I'm pretty sure the rules will be company wide and that no one is deliberately misleading callers, thus my conclusion that headquarters hasn't told the stores the plan yet.

*I get the urge to call at least once a day, but for now I've been able to fight it off. I suspect that will become more difficult in the next three weeks:smile:. I did manage to get the day off of work so I can go to Paramus around closing time on the 30th. I am hoping to meet some of you as the line builds just after I arrive.

This made me curious so I called the Raleigh store just now. For them, nothing has changed. Normal business hours, payment via credit card or Paypal only (no cash or checks accepted).

It would be nice if they would just make a formal announcement so we don't have to bother our local (or not so local) Tesla locations to see if anything has changed.

That will allow the West Coast buyers to get some extra sleep in the Pacific time zone!

The original poster saying 1PM EST start was from the East Coast.
Maybe they intend have west Coast stores start taking orders at 10AM PST, which would be 1PM EST so that customers start making deposits at the same time.
So, West Coast wouldn't get to "sleep in", but rather East Coast would so that they start reserving at the same time as the West Coast.

The original poster saying 1PM EST start was from the East Coast.
Maybe they intend have west Coast stores start taking orders at 10AM PST, which would be 1PM EST so that customers start making deposits at the same time.
So, West Coast wouldn't get to "sleep in", but rather East Coast would so that they start reserving at the same time as the West Coast.
I was thinking that if the East Coast opened at 10, then we on the West Coast would have to be at the store at 7. That was the reason for my "extra sleep" comment.

In reality, everyone will be so excited about making a deposit on Model 3, there may be little time to sleep.