Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Reveal - How will TSLA do at the reveal, and next few days after?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would Tesla of all companies limit reservations of Model 3 to in-store? Don't you think we will be able to place reservations online?

of course they will have reservations online - Just not until the next day. I think it's fairly shrewd to do reservations in store on the 31st before opening it up online the next day. There's nothing like nice lines of folks to show demand in your product :)

I agree on the predicted basic look of the car, but have the opposite feel for the stock movement. To me the risk is that they reveal something only a mother could love. I know that Elon is on record as not wanting to make a weirdmobile, but opinions vary. So if the model 3 is pleasant looking and middle of the road desirable, to me that triggers a risk-off and relief rally.

My sense is that the chances are low (but not zero) that the styling will receive a negative reaction. The nose from Model X was controversial at first, but it doesn't seem to have dampened sales or owner satisfaction, and it looks fine in person. The Roadster and Model S were fairly un-controversial.

Making people sign up in stores also keeps the first batch near the service centers. ;)

I suspect that making people go to a Tesla Store is also a mild way of getting a broader audience to consider Model S and Model X. Keep in mind that many people have never heard of Tesla or some of its cars (there was a Model X review on YouTube where the reviewers commented that when they had the Model X out in public, some people weren't aware of Tesla, and others were aware of Tesla but not of Model X). People who hear something on the news or from other people may go to reserve a Model 3 at the store, and decide they want a Model S or Model X instead rather than waiting 1.5 - 2 years.