Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 rim protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The touchless car wash thing is a problem. Even if you drive in perfectly, eventually the side of your wheel touches the track (it's designed that way), and these stupid rims get all scratched up. Well, it's really the tires that are stupid. The stock tires should have the rubber protrude out more on the sides. No other car I've owned had this issue.

My rim damage came from a pot hole that was covered with water and at night almost invisible.
I have the low profile tires which are more prone to damage I think.

Unfortunately, this does happen.
Yes, lower profile tires offer less space to absorb impact force before it is transferred to the metal lip of the wheel. Rolling on forged (expen$$ive) wheels would make them less prone to bending, so is increasing the profile of the tire (increasing sidewall height, but that is not always feasible). Those are about the only two things you can do to minimize damage under similar circumstances.

Was thinking of getting some rim guards

Save your money, as they are utterly worthless.
As someone stated, you could apply them to hide the damage that has already been collected, but there is no way in hack will a tiny sliver of plastic deflect the rim from the curb, which is what it would take to actually "protect" it.

When it comes to impact damage to wheel barrel, plastic "bling" on the face of the wheel is of zero use.

but those glue ons look like a cheap solution. The gator ones look more solid but just wonder ho much real protection that would have given me on that pot hole.

Zero.

I just use a service to repair my rims if/when I want curb rash cleaned up. I've used these guys and they do an excellent job: Dr. Wheel | Premium Wheel Repair Service

It's frustrating that Tesla's tires are so narrow compared to the width of their wheels, but I don't want to put wider tires on the car and hurt the range. I just do my best not to curb the car. That's also one of the big reasons (the other being range) that I stuck with the 18" Aero wheels rather than the 19" (or 20" Performance) wheels. At least I don't have to be as paranoid about the unavoidable pothole hits.