Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 + Rolec —> interrupted charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jumps to 32A at start, then drops to 16A, then just stops all together after about 10/15 minutes

Similar to @Fullerene , your video shows a full 5% drop in voltage when applying the 32A load. However, unlike his case the supply voltage is quite healthy to start with and the bottom voltage (228V) is not out of spec for a UK supply. So this one does look like a problem more local to you - either in the chargepoint, its wiring, or specifically your supply cable (whereas @Fullerene 's problem seems to be a problem with the whole neighbourhood supply rather than just his).

Here's me yesterday, voltage drops and power is dialled down from 32A to 24A, I do see grid voltage dropping locally during peak times and I will get voltage warning on the various bits of kit in the house. Generally I wouldn't charge during peak times - this was an accidental charge. So maybe not an issue with your charger but just a fact of what's happening on the grid.

@Fullerene what device are you using to read the grid voltage or are you using the info from car Api?

I'm after a device to log grid voltage. I could build a device with Arduino and linear PSU plus comms, but would prefer some off the shelf IoT device that I can connect to over WiFi. Unfortunately my inverter only gives PV string voltage, but even if I could get grid voltage and frequency, I suspect that it would only report on 15 minute interval and I would like 5 minute or even better close to second readings.

Whatever the service centre did the other week seems to have done the job. I've plugged our Rolec charger into our Model 3 a couple of times since I picked it up. First time was a relatively short morning charge - couple of hours ~ +70 miles. No problems. Last night I charged it from only 40 miles of range left. It charged successfully overnight to 210 miles. Nice. Though unsure where all that electricity went as it probably only travelled 30 miles at most that day and it set off with >150miles of range. Perhaps the air-con was on or the phone key was in range while at home in the afternoon & evening.

Seems the service technician's revision of the charging harness something or other on it has done the trick.

Thanks for all your experiences and insights.

Whatever the service centre did the other week seems to have done the job. I've plugged our Rolec charger into our Model 3 a couple of times since I picked it up. First time was a relatively short morning charge - couple of hours ~ +70 miles. No problems. Last night I charged it from only 40 miles of range left. It charged successfully overnight to 210 miles. Nice. Though unsure where all that electricity went as it probably only travelled 30 miles at most that day and it set off with >150miles of range. Perhaps the air-con was on or the phone key was in range while at home in the afternoon & evening.

Seems the service technician's revision of the charging harness something or other on it has done the trick.

Thanks for all your experiences and insights.

That sounds what is needed for mine.

Charging on DC fast chargers are perfect, no interruptions, nice and fast.

AC home charging on Rolec / 3 pin plug / public charging on Type 2 are interrupted all the time and stop/start etc etc. Rolec has been changed twice as well. Still no joy.

I raised it with servicing, got a call on Tuesday from someone who said they would hand it over to Technical Team but still awaiting contact from them.

AC home charging on Rolec / 3 pin plug / public charging on Type 2 are interrupted all the time and stop/start etc etc. Rolec has been changed twice as well. Still no joy.

I raised it with servicing, got a call on Tuesday from someone who said they would hand it over to Technical Team but still awaiting contact from them.
I hope they’re able to fix it for you. Sorry I can’t remember the exact term they used for the charging harness [something]. As I described in an earlier post, I was just keen to have as much data as possible so I didn’t end up swapping chargers or calling electricians out on the basis of ‘doesn’t charge that car’. It just seemed very odd to me that the same electricity that came out of a 13A, 3-pin plug would work flawlessly and yet from the type-2 it wouldn’t. You say that your 3-pin doesn’t work at home so that might need investigation for under/over voltage. But your experience does suggest you have more data to say ‘this car does not work with type 2 chargers, could it be the car at fault’?

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same problem with my M3P using an EO Mini Pro. The EO unit has been changed, Tesla have run remote diagnosis and mentioned a possible cause being a 'power surge' but I can't get a SC appointment for over a month. Really frustrating...all I want to do is charge the car reliably!