Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD vs MS regen braking question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have driven both, can you answer these questions?
The M3 RWD loses basically all regenerative braking below 5 MPH. I believe this is a function of the PM motor. So when slowing down to a stop sign or traffic light, you really will need to use the brakes slightly below 5 MPH to completely stop the car on level roads. Two pedals for most stops.
Does the MS have different behavior? On level roads can you truly drive with one pedal? How much stopping force does it have below 5 MPH?
I would appreciate any details you can share.

If you have driven both, can you answer these questions?
The M3 RWD loses basically all regenerative braking below 5 MPH. I believe this is a function of the PM motor. So when slowing down to a stop sign or traffic light, you really will need to use the brakes slightly below 5 MPH to completely stop the car on level roads. Two pedals for most stops.
Does the MS have different behavior? On level roads can you truly drive with one pedal? How much stopping force does it have below 5 MPH?
I would appreciate any details you can share.
The MS definitely has a bit more regen vs a RWD Model 3.

However, the trick I do to come to a full stop (usually if you're behind a car) is to engage regular autopilot (push stalk down once) when you're coasting at around 5km/h behind the car to come to a full stop, and then disengage it (push stalk up once) to start driving when traffic flows, you never have to hit the brakes this way. It's actually quite seamless if you time it right. Don't try this if you're first at a red light, or at a stop sign for obvious reasons, lol.

However, the trick I do to come to a full stop (usually if you're behind a car) is to engage regular autopilot (push stalk down once) when you're coasting at around 5km/h behind the car to come to a full stop, and then disengage it (push stalk up once) to start driving when traffic flows, you never have to hit the brakes this way.

Is there any reason to think the autopilot isn't simply using the brakes?

The Dual Motor Model 3 has slightly stronger regen than the RWD, but it still won't bring the car to a complete stop. I routinely get down to 4mph before having to use the brake pedal.

I drove a loaner Model S and I believe it was the same (although it had a different deceleration profile that I didn't get completely used to with my limited amount of time, so I often had to use the brakes earlier than I normally would have in order to not rear end the vehicle in front of me).

I'm beginning to see what I needed to know....

None of the current Teslas have much regen below 4-5 MPH. Which means that on a level road, ALL Tesla owners have to move their foot from the gas to the brake.

I'm really looking to tweet Elon with an accurate premise....that Tesla owners would benefit from a "True one pedal" option in settings, where the car will do what AP does, apply slight braking to bring the vehicle to a complete stop WITHOUT having to move your foot. My vision is that the "True one pedal" option would allow ~4 settings (OFF, light, average, heavy) for the amount of braking that the system uses to complete the stop. People who don't want it, use OFF. People who want just a wee-bit of drag below 4-5 MPH might choose light, etc. I have learned to LOVE one pedal driving, but feel Tesla only got 99% of the way there since I still have to use the brake at the end.

I'd also like an option for "Auto hold once stopped" that was a "check-able" option which I'd select (some might not). For folks with creep enabled, they might need this option IF they wanted to use the "True one pedal" option.

Lastly, if you are the "I DON"T WANT THIS YOU ARE STUPID"-type. I've got you covered with the "OFF" selection, you can go away now ;)

I definitely like your idea and would love an option like that. I guess the challenge is in knowing when you want the "AP brake assist" to actually kick in vs. you're just looking to move along at that 4-5mph. Do you actually want to incorporate computer vision (AP says, "I think they want to brake fully here given what I'm seeing in front of me") vs. just different strengths of applying the brakes via the light/average/heavy settings?

IIRC, the motor design creates a physical limitation that prevents regen to a full stop. Even though MS and M3 RWD motors are different, they both have the limitation. Someone with experience with electric motors can probably explain in depth why this is. I don't think it was a design decision to deliberately not let the car regen to zero. In other words, to support that feature, you're trading off something that's probably more desirable.

-edit-
didn't see the OP's follow up post. nvm :D

Last edited:
IIRC, the motor design creates a physical limitation that prevents regen to a full stop. Even though MS and M3 RWD motors are different, they both have the limitation. Someone with experience with electric motors can probably explain in depth why this is. I don't think it was a design decision to deliberately not let the car regen to zero. In other words, to support that feature, you're trading off something that's probably more desirable.

I think OP is suggesting not that there be full regenerative braking to a stop, but that AP take over the brake pedal like it does when it's engaged to provide the last bit of a stop.

Reactions: nvx1977