TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Screen Protector?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jjtsl, Jul 23, 2018.

1. jjtsl

jjtsl Member

I've been looking on Amazon for a screen protector but the ones offered do not seem to get good ratings / no ratings. Where did you get your screen protector from and how are you finding it?

2. Koflach

Koflach Member

try going to abstractocean.com or rpmtesla.com

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. trevorc

trevorc Member

I think most people with either of these have had pretty good experiences. I have the RPM one that’s made of 3M film and I like it - it reduces fingerprints and isn’t overly glossy.

• Informative x 1
  4. Koflach

Koflach Member

I've got the matrix black from Abstract Ocean. It looks phenomenal, can't wait to see it actually installed though.

5. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I don’t think matrix black vinyl wrap would make a very good screen protector ;)

I have the Abstract Ocean 5H clear Ultra Hard one installed and love it! Easy install and any small bubbles left disappeared overnight all by themselves. Can’t say enough about the AO customer experience.
    I like it better than the RPM one as it is thicker, less flexible and a ‘dry’ install. RPM’s is clear paint protection films and a ‘wet’ install. Each to their own.

Screen Protectors for the Tesla Model 3

• Informative x 2
  6. Koflach

Koflach Member

lol, when glossy was mentioned I thought the conversation changed to centre consoles.

7. jjtsl

jjtsl Member

Lol - thanks guys, this kills 2 birds with one stone!

8. trevorc

trevorc Member

Yeah, I had already talked myself into doing the wet install route for the centre console wrap with the xpel matte. So when it came to the screen protector it was more of a “why not go all in?” kind of thought process.

9. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

Why do you need one? We’ve had our X for two years and just wipe it off with a screen cloth.

10. trevorc

trevorc Member

It’s probably a want more than a need. With no fingerprints I don’t need to wipe it at all. I do like the way it looks a bit more matte with the protector on too.

• Like x 1
  11. jjtsl

jjtsl Member

#11 jjtsl, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    The way the screen is positioned on the Model 3, there's a fair bit of reflection under the bright sun, especially with the glass roof.

12. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

And that might well be a good reason. Who knows, I might go that route when our 3 comes.

13. Phantom3

Phantom3 Member

Thanks - took the plunge and ordered one based on the review!

14. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

Pete has a good install video on the AO website. Pushed the big bubbles out easily. All the remaining marks underneath the protector after install disappeared completely overnight on their own.

15. enwhy

enwhy Member

16. phtp

phtp Member

17. enwhy

enwhy Member

No gaps. Goes right up to the inner edge of the bezel.

The screen inherently has a slight curve, and the 9H is cut to match.

• Like x 1
  18. phtp

phtp Member

That's what I was worried about because it was curved. Had some cheaper screen protectors for phones and some would cut it short to account for that. Better quality screen protectors will go up to the edge and sounds like this one is similar. Thanks!

19. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

It looks like the cheaper Abstract Ocean screen protectors (i.e., not the "9H" ones) DON'T have the curved feature included.

Screen Protectors for the Tesla Model 3

20. phtp

phtp Member

Thanks for the clarification. Was talking specifically about 9h glass screens.