Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Seat memory restore positioning issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same problem here but it is has to do with the delta between your profile and easy entry so I think it's a software bug although could be a hardware problem too. The way I have somewhat gotten it to work is to first adjust your profile. Then delete easy entry if already there. Then enable easy entry which copies your profile to it. Then in easy entry change only the steering position so there is no seat delta between your profile and easy entry. If in the future you want to change any seat position in your profile, you have to do these steps from the beginning. Also this workaround doesn't work with multiple profiles.

The lumbar inflation is never remembered. Always deflated in the morning.

Last edited:
Have the issue as well. Both my steering wheel and seat drift over time. The amount of drift doesn't seem to be consistent either. It will be fine for a day or two and then suddenly be out of whack by an inch or more, other times it will gradually drift out of position over a few days or a week.

I wonder if this is even fixable with software. Does the system have a hard datum somewhere that it can position from? If not I don't see how you avoid drift due to constantly adjusting between easy entry and driver profiles and no frame of reference to position from.

Reactions: Perry
I've noticed that if I get into the car and change to my profile, then Easy, then mine again (without letting the seat or steering wheel finish their movements) it always goes to the same position. I've had my wife confirm it by holding a ruler steady in a couple of spots as the seats move. If I go straight to my profile, it's always wrong.

I've noticed that if I get into the car and change to my profile, then Easy, then mine again (without letting the seat or steering wheel finish their movements) it always goes to the same position. I've had my wife confirm it by holding a ruler steady in a couple of spots as the seats move. If I go straight to my profile, it's always wrong.

Pretty crazy that it’s gotten to the point where a bunch of us have had to bring rulers in the car to measure to prove we weren’t going insane. Shouldn’t have to be doing this!

Reactions: NJturtlePower
I have completely deleted my personal profile and the easy entry profile from the car, rebooted, powered down, then re-saved my profile and then made an easy entry profile and my steering wheel will still never move between the two. Everything else is saved.

Help or experiences anyone?

Bump on this, I've noticed it for a long time but forgot to mention it the two times I saw the ranger. My symptoms which I think are the same are everything moves to almost the right position for my profile but it's sometimes a bit off - the seat back is most noticable. Re-selecting my profile makes it do the final movement into the right position.

Has anyone reported this and got anywhere?

I had the same issue on my Model X, but only on the back rest of the seat.

I had a difference between the angle of the back rest between my driving position and my Easy Entry position.

What I noticed was that after a while, my back rest of my seat would appear to be flatter and flatter. So’d I readjust and save again.

And after a few months, I couldn’t even straighten my back rest anymore!

It turns out that because of my body, I’d slow down the reclining of the seat, and the seat motor would get off by a degree every time. I’d correct and save the new setting, up to a moment the motor thought the seat was fully straight.

The trick is to have the motor go full forward while you’re not in the seat. That seems to reset the location of the motor.

I’ve made sure that there is no difference in the angle of my seat back rest between my driving position and Easy Entry position, and since then I have not had the problem anymore: if the motor doesn’t have to work, it can’t get misaligned.

I am using easy entry feature on my Model 3 and noticed that after few days of usage it starts to deviate from original saved position when restoring my profile.
Over time after multiple ins and outs when seat goes back and force, it gets more obvious, so I need to re-save the seat/steering position again.

Did you guys notice similar problem?

Not so much that things shift over time, but I do notice that sometimes, my seat is further away from the steering wheel, as if the move from Easy Entry to my profile got interrupted somehow.

Sometimes the mirror won't even fold out when the car is in motion. When this happens, I have to manually select my seating profile to force the seat and mirrors to go back into position.

I haven't verified it but I think it happens whenI backup into my parking spot instead of driving straight into it, as I don't seem to get this problem when I drive out of the garage every morning. It seemed to have not happen in later firmware.

Thank you all, I thought I was going crazy. After playing with it, I decided to make my Easy Entry profile seat position be the same as my profile, and just have the steering wheel push in all the way. In my testing so far it seems my seat stays put. Will report back here if I see otherwise after a few days.

Happens here as well - the seat tends to move closer upwards and the back tilted further backwards. It seems every month or so I just notice something off about my driving position and have to reset it.

Or I could just be going crazy. I was going to mark the alignment locations on tape and stick it on the seat and center console to track how far they deviate but haven't gotten a chance. Might give that a try to confirm.

I thought it was just me but cool to know you all have haven’t this seat memory glitch, my seat didn’t move forward and at one point it reset back to the easy entry mode with my foot on the breaks... just started like 2 days ago, hasn’t done it again. March 2019 build SR+ 7571 miles ver. 28.3.1

Fred

This started for me on 28.3 I believe. Went away with 32 but now started again with 32.1. Seems like the easiest way is to just press your profile twice and it will take you back to your setting. This is how I dealt with it and seems to do that. My wife mentioned yesterday too that it's not going up all the way. I told her to press her profile name again and she said that worked.