Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 seats are horrible compromise decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same

How do you “smooth them out”? I am extremely anal about how I get in. I never drag across the bolster and I sit straight down, then elevate my butt and make sure I’m centered and not putting uneven pressure as I sit back down…

The driver seat looks like crap already.

How did you talk them into replacing the seat? I’d like to give that a shot…

In the thread you started yourself on this topic, you stated that you thought this was a 2021 Model 3 issue, yet this thread you bumped had a last post (before you bumped it) of Nov 2019, and the thread was started almost a year before that, in 2018.

In the thread you started yourself on this topic, you stated that you thought this was a 2021 Model 3 issue, yet this thread you bumped had a last post (before you bumped it) of Nov 2019, and the thread was started almost a year before that, in 2018.
Could be wrong as to whether it’s a ‘21 issue, some of what I’ve read between the reply here and my post in my other thread seemed to point that way. I’m not a forum expert and pay little attention to the dates when skimming, so if the poster hadn’t listed the year in the body of the post, I likely wouldn’t notice.

Either way, the state of my seat after such a short time is unsatisfactory to me. My other vehicle’s seats haven’t shown this type of deformation. Anyone who is not a Tesla apologist would agree after seeing it in person. I’ve shown it to a few co workers over the past two days and their reaction was less than positive. The seat should look brand new in a car with three digits on the odometer.

Could be wrong as to whether it’s a ‘21 issue, some of what I’ve read between the reply here and my post in my other thread seemed to point that way. I’m not a forum expert and pay little attention to the dates when skimming, so if the poster hadn’t listed the year in the body of the post, I likely wouldn’t notice.

Either way, the state of my seat after such a short time is unsatisfactory to me. My other vehicle’s seats haven’t shown this type of deformation. Anyone who is not a Tesla apologist would agree after seeing it in person. I’ve shown it to a few co workers over the past two days and their reaction was less than positive. The seat should look brand new in a car with three digits on the odometer.

Maybe its not a 2021 issue or a 2018 issue but a "GoldcountryCA 's seat" issue (meaning yours is defective). If its as bad as you say, then tesla should have no problem replacing it.

I hope you are right
Tesla has a problem replacing most everything, they are the worst car company because "spec" to Tesla is whatever they don't want to replace. You can get a car at delivery and it can have something loose and it's "spec". Never heard any car company use the word "spec" like Tesla does to justify. I'm on two seats in my car only because the motor failed on the passenger side which is never used.

Reactions: rlb4
Let me say that I can't complain about my M3 AWD as it has been amazing so far but the seats are a complete failure. I'm not sure where to begin but after a 400 mile drive on both highways and twisty roads I can tell you Tesla is not ready to build car seats and they need to go back to buying them or get some serious help. The black seats which are firmer than the white are so soft and cheap feeling that I wish I had the cloth seats from my Tacoma. Here are some of the main failures of this "please every buyer" seat.

1) The cheap soft foam they use is not supportive and at times even pushes down on turns to were I have even felt the seat frame on the side bolster at the front of the seat. Why would anyone have a seat bolster that is intended to support a leg be so soft that it flattens with little pressure? I have never felt any car seat do this ever, total joke.

2) Back support. Feels like balloons with hard rounded curves when increased. There is no way to get proper adjustment without a change of the seat shape distorting and feeling wrong.

3) Seat base length. Too short to properly support the bottom of the legs for someone of my height (5' 10") without creating pressure. I'm 175 lbs not 250 so it's not my weight or legs. Would a little more length hurt?

4) Side bolsters. Not the worst issue of the seat but too low in general and far to low for a car like this. Unacceptable for a M3 performance and some reviews have noted this already.

5) Don't call this premium interior, that is a joke! I don't mind synthetic material and actually prefer it but this is really more like hot plastic. People say not to get leather because it gets hot, not these seats get really hot. I would pay to have a fabric option that looks, feels, and performs better. What is non-premium option going to be, T shirt material? Sit in a model S and see how much nicer and more supportive the fabric seats feel, sit in Honda Civic or any car with modern seats for that matter.

6) Compare the white seats and then the black seats. Yes the white ones are even softer! Then compare MS white seats to M3 white seats and see how superior the S seat feels and how it is not like falling into a bean bag chair.

The leather seats in my 2015 85D and amazing in every way and have none of these issues. I know many people love mushy seats but they are not the correct match for this vehicle in general and have no place in A M3 P in particular. Show me any real performance cars with seats this soft. A seat should be supportive and not feel like a soft pillow that bounces and flattens on turns, you should not squish around in it and and feel disconnected from the car. After a few days of long driving and constant adjustments my back was not feeling good at all yet I can drive 400 miles in a day in the S seats with no issues. Just holding the side of the seat bolster next to the leg made leg fatigue go away. My passenger hated the seats as well and had the same complaints and general feedback and they only weigh 120 lbs. Tesla what were you thinking? Good luck pushing these pillow bags off on the EU market, they will not be well received. I also do not expect his foam to wear well and to get worse faster than other modern auto seats.

Does anyone know a good upholstery shop in the bay area or LA that may be able to do new foam for the seats or a complete redo with new coverings as well? Even some mods may help a bit. I see a great aftermarket kit opportunity! Rant over.....
Omg ! Hope you still reading this. I’m having so many back problems after I have my model 3, to the point I’m having tingling all over my body, I was doing Uber and had to stop. It’s really bad, no lower back support. It feels like they put bricks that stick out instead comfy and supportive lumbar cushions. It’s not anatomic at all!!!! You stay caved in while driving the car. I should never have bought my second one!