Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 seats with lower back problems - others having discomfort?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The metal bar that runs on the side of the seats is KILLING my hip and left leg. I am getting squeezed into my seat by a metal bar.
I had this and put more foam in the seat to bring the center up to the height of the side bars. It's better, but now I have minimal bolsters for cornering. I put the foam between the current foam and the springs underneath. Because of the seat sensor and heating cables, I had to add it in quarter pieces. It's still not perfect, but since I did it myself, when I have time I make minor adjustments to the foam.

I feel pain in my glutes and legs after driving for more than 45min; not so much my lower back. Do you know what is generally the best position to have the seats? Should the ends be raised higher with the seat closer to the peddles so that you are more in a V shape or is it better to have the seat move flat and further back so that you are in an L shape?

I have a chronic bad lower back with pain.

In my Model S, it's quite comfy for me and I can drive 1-2 hours without any significant pain. Since taking delivery of my Model 3 a week and a half ago, I've had significant back discomfort while driving the 3. I've tried to adjust the seat and lumbar multiple times but can't quite get it right.

Are others having similar discomfort in the 3? Or is it me?
For me AND my wife the Model 3 seats are the most comfortable of any car we have had.

I had this and put more foam in the seat to bring the center up to the height of the side bars. It's better, but now I have minimal bolsters for cornering. I put the foam between the current foam and the springs underneath. Because of the seat sensor and heating cables, I had to add it in quarter pieces. It's still not perfect, but since I did it myself, when I have time I make minor adjustments to the foam.

Do you have any pictures of this? How did you do this? This is exactly what I need to do as my seat is unbearable. I am at the point where I am looking to take it to a shop to have something done that is how much the seat hurts.

Do you have any pictures of this? How did you do this? This is exactly what I need to do as my seat is unbearable. I am at the point where I am looking to take it to a shop to have something done that is how much the seat hurts.
Driver seat: metal bar in the middle is pushing after just 1 month

I saw this post to see how the seat looked. I went to an upholstery shop and got a bid of $150, but they didn't instill confidence on how they'd handle the seat sensor and taking out the seat to do the work. Unplugging the battery to remove power to the sensor was a questionable idea to me and made me think they didn't know enough about the car to work on it.
So, I raised the seat as high as I could and moved it forward. Then I unhooked the back cover at the bottom and found the plastic hooks that held the back of the seat cover on way under the seat. I was able to unhook and pull those up between the seat and the back and then raise the current cushion (being very careful of the heated seat cord which I was unable to unplug) I first put a thin dense foam down on the springs and then cut a square in four parts and pushed each part separately between the original cushion and the thin foam, working around the seat sensor cable that was in the middle of the cushion area. I first tried to add more cushion over the metal on the left side, but that was still uncomfortable, so I've since removed it. I also have extra cushion under my tail bone, toward the very back, but I think I'll remove that when I have time. I still have the option of lifting the front and the back, and since this has raised me up some, I have lowered the back and lifted the front a little. It's squishier than the original configuration, but mostly I like that I can get in a position where my left leg doesn't feel like it's being bruised when I drive.

Attachments

• IMG_6702.JPG
    IMG_6702.JPG
    574.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_6704.JPG
    IMG_6704.JPG
    373.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6706.JPG
    IMG_6706.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6711.JPG
    IMG_6711.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6714.JPG
    IMG_6714.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6722.JPG
    IMG_6722.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 104
  • Informative
Reactions: samppa and J1mbo
Dr Reid, I had the same problem. Took me 10 months to figure out. The lumbar support at the bottom back of the seat was inflating by itself all the time and putting pressure on a sensitive nerve I had in my lower back. I've been sitting on a pad to avoid it. Today I deflated and disabled the bladder and problem is gone! Yay.
How did you disable it? My car is brand new but my back is killing me and I can't get it to where the seat is comfortable.

I have a back problem from hav8ng been hit head on 30 years ago. I got my Model 3 in June 2019. had difficulty with the seats for two or three months of adjusting them.

My problem now is that when I sit in my Model 3, anything that is loose in my pants’ pockets falls out.

I feel pain in my glutes and legs after driving for more than 45min; not so much my lower back. Do you know what is generally the best position to have the seats? Should the ends be raised higher with the seat closer to the peddles so that you are more in a V shape or is it better to have the seat move flat and further back so that you are in an L shape?

Same, its my left glute and left hamstring. Cant seem to get an adjustment correct to alleviate the discomfort. Everything else is great about the seats. If I bend my knee and pull my leg towards me so my hamstring is off the seat it helps a little. Leet me know if you figure anything out.