Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 size comparison?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a good idea of how Model 3 compares size-wise to other small or mid-sized cars that it will competing with (replacing), like the Lexus IS, Audi A4/3, BMW 3 series, Acura ILX/TLX, Toyota Corolla, or Honda Civic?

I'm especially interested in hearing from someone who took a test ride or has seen the M3 in-person. We have an ILX right now, and I've always hated how small the car has felt to me (wife loved it when we were looking for a new small car a few years ago). I'm 6'1", and can only really sit in the ILX's driver's seat with it adjusted all the back and down without feeling super cramped.

Thanks!

Reactions: X-Auto
It should be similar in size to Audi A4 and BMW 3 series. Should be bigger than Corolla and Civic. The back seat of the Model 3 should be much better to accommodate taller people because of the way there is no crossbeam overhead and the large rear window. I recall it was even touted during the reveal that was one of the major considerations and why they didn't go with hatchback design like the Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: 206er
Anyone have a good idea of how Model 3 compares size-wise to other small or mid-sized cars that it will competing with (replacing), like the Lexus IS, Audi A4/3, BMW 3 series, Acura ILX/TLX, Toyota Corolla, or Honda Civic?

I'm especially interested in hearing from someone who took a test ride or has seen the M3 in-person. We have an ILX right now, and I've always hated how small the car has felt to me (wife loved it when we were looking for a new small car a few years ago). I'm 6'1", and can only really sit in the ILX's driver's seat with it adjusted all the back and down without feeling super cramped.

Thanks!
Most guesstimates show the interior front to back Model 3 space about the same as the Model S, but a couple inches narrower. Most all the length difference between the S and 3 is the shorter frunk and trunk. Have you tried out a Model S? It should give you a good idea of the interior space.
fullvcqua9kx6h.gif

Most guesstimates show the interior front to back Model 3 space about the same as the Model S, but a couple inches narrower. Most all the length difference between the S and 3 is the shorter frunk and trunk. Have you tried out a Model S? It should give you a good idea of the interior space.
fullvcqua9kx6h.gif
Thanks! I wish there was an easy way to create that S-to-3 graphic comparison for other cars... I haven't tried out an S, but I work a block away from Tesla's South Lake Union location, so not many good excuses for not having been in one yet.

Dimensions are 184" long compared to you 181' for your Acura...so longer...plus with an EV you dont have the wasted drivetrain space so typically the interior is much larger. Id say youll be happy, otherwise get the Model Y when it comes out.

Y might be our next car after the 3, possibly even a replacement for the 3. We have 1 small child and plan to have another someday down the line, but no way in heck will we ever do a minivan or ICE SUV.

Dimensions are 184" long compared to you 181' for your Acura...so longer...plus with an EV you dont have the wasted drivetrain space so typically the interior is much larger. Id say youll be happy, otherwise get the Model Y when it comes out.
Spoken with authority. I think I saw that 184 number quoted in a car mag many months ago as their estimate of the prototype length. But I wouldn't be assuming that number is accurate.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias and 206er
Don't drive a new Civic first if room is critical. This is the biggest Civic in history, classified as a Large Car by the EPA.

Compare Side-by-Side

Unless Tesla makes the Model 3 larger than the Model S, the Civic is probably going to have more room.

Blasphemy, but test drive a Bolt with 4 people in the car and switch seats during the ride.

Don't drive a new Civic first if room is critical. This is the biggest Civic in history, classified as a Large Car by the EPA.

Compare Side-by-Side

Unless Tesla makes the Model 3 larger than the Model S, the Civic is probably going to have more room.

Blasphemy, but test drive a Bolt with 4 people in the car and switch seats during the ride.
Thanks for the suggestion! We actually drove a 2016 Civic last year and walked away unimpressed with the car. It was definitely an improvement over our '14 ILX, but not by much. And interestingly, it didn't really feel that much bigger inside.

Our driving is mainly city and our car has to be able to fit in our townhouse's small, 1-car garage. It also has to be able to fit 2-3 adults, a stroller, car seat, groceries, and occasional small luggage. It can be a tight squeeze, but the ILX generally accommodates this now and we're hoping that the 3 offers a bit more space.

Have you checked out the Civic hatchback that came out for model year 2017? I purchased one when they came out to tide me over until my 3 is ready or if I end-up not following through with the reservation. If the former, it will become my son's car. Very spacious and functional. Love the car and hard to beat for around $20k.
No, I haven't seen one up close. We are 3/31/16 early morning reservation holders in Seattle, and hoping that our 3 might be ready by the end of the year or very early 2018. No need, room, or desire for more than 1 car at this time, but it's good to hear that the Civic hatchback offers a decent amount of space. May try one out if the 3 somehow disappoints. Just trying to do an early comparison between our current car and the 3 to estimate sizing differences.

Please note the ILX is Compact (as are most cars in its class), while Civic, even as a Sedan, is Midsize. The Model 3 will probably be Midsize. You might also consider Infiniti Q50, also Midsize, and largest in class, at least until Model 3 comes along.

Compare Side-by-Side

Well, the Civic has a similar amount of interior room as the Model S, and as has been pointed out the Model 3 will probably have a similar amount of room as the Model S as well, so they should be, well, similar. The Model 3 will probably suffer a bit in luggage capacity compared with the Civic hatchback (although I imagine it will compare well to the Civic sedan).

Reactions: Red Sage

Thanks!

To keep it in Audi terms (since I'm currently in an A3), the Model 3 is expected to be similar in size to the A4, as others have noted, but because of the unique layout of Teslas with regards to the battery and motors, etc, expect passenger room to be closer to an A6.

Wow, I would be thrilled if the 3 approaches A6 passenger roominess!

A Model S is actually a little roomier than an A6 in a few categories (up front), but ends up 3 cu ft less than an A6 (because of less room for rear passengers).

So if a Model 3 is even slightly less roomy than a Model S, it might still end up pretty close to the A6.

Side by Side Comparison | Cars.com

Reactions: Red Sage and 206er
I love the smaller exterior size of the smaller cars that I own and look forward to the Model 3 being smaller than the Model S that I've driven; having increased interior capacity compared to my smaller cars will be a blessing.

Mind, I've been driving (as often as a person who works at home drives) an '89 VW Cabriolet for the last ten years, and an '08 Kia Rio for the last 7 years, so it won't take much to impress me (when it comes to interior space).

To keep it in Audi terms (since I'm currently in an A3), the Model 3 is expected to be similar in size to the A4, as others have noted, but because of the unique layout of Teslas with regards to the battery and motors, etc, expect passenger room to be closer to an A6.
The current Honda Civic is a close interior match to the AUDI A6:

Compare Side-by-Side