Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh wait.....You mean its an even smaller sample size? There are fewer Model 3's on Teslafi than what I quoted?

LOL.....thanks for your help.

It doesn't get any better than this.
Do you understand how statistical models and sampling works? Having 2K in your sample is nearly double what most polling models require to have pretty low error/high confidence. The main limitation of TeslaFi is that the sample tends to be biased across key demos and attributes.

Fun fact: most US voting models rely on a random stratified sample of around 1100 eligible voters. That’s a sample of 1100 used to estimate voting behavior for approx 250M eligible voters.

Went from 2018.50.6 to 2019.5.15 today.

Besides the well-discussed changes, I’ve noticed that autopilot seems to change lanes more aggressively - it definitely picks up speed immediately (if needed) and it is able to merge into the next lane from a near-standstill in a traffic scenario without causing slowdowns in the new lane, but I had one lane change where it started speeding up and then slowed down immediately because there was a car maybe 1 car length ahead of the car I was passing (pretty sure it was shown on the screen so the car had to be aware of it by then). Definite improvement changing lanes on gradual curves too, felt more authoritative as it purposefully merged over instead of simply taking a slightly wider curve to end up in the new lane (now it waits an extra 0.25-0.5 miles). Overall I'd say lane changes seem like an improvement.

Also NoA no longer forces me to one of the rightmost lanes unnecessarily in 2 of 3 spots in one of my common drives. In one spot it used to always route me through the rightmost tunnel where you don't actually need to merge right until maybe a mile past the tunnel, and in the other it always forced me to the rightmost lane that merged with another lane. Not sure if the maps got better or the NoA logic improved.

On the downside I've had noticed many more random "phantom" braking events particularly in traffic - I didn't see it try to track the cars in nearby lanes like I've occasionally seen in past versions so I'm not sure why it's doing that.

EDIT: oh, one more thing I remember that I've never seen before - previously when coming up on another car quickly, NoA would catch up, slow down, then suggest a lane change. I don't know if it was the combination of the speed differential and having plenty of space around but with 5.15 NoA prompted me to change lanes well before it would have to slow down. It gave the usual "confirm change to faster lane" prompt even though I was already going at my current setting, while the car ahead was going maybe 5-10 mph slower. I accepted and it merged around the car without dropping a single mph. I have NoA set to the medium setting (not Mad Max).

Last edited:
2018.50.6 isn't really 12 weeks old. Just as the current roll out is 2019.5 (or a few .7), 2018.50.6 wasn't rolling out on the 50th week of 2018 (Mid December). The rollout started 1/18 with heavy rollout 1/22-1/28 so it is really just 7 weeks old.

Exactly. My 3 received 2018.50.6 at the end of the 4th week of January. And you can’t really go by the week number of the build entirely. Yes the base code for the 2019.5.15 build is from the 5th week of 2019 but revision 15 of that build, which is what is rolling out now, is possibly only around a week old assuming Tesla tests the build internally for about a week before the initial push to cars in the public fleet.

Just got my notification ding on my phone just now and ran out and started the install. Says 45 min. but probably won’t be as long. Not on Teslafi btw.

Update complete 9 minutes ago.
BTW, you need not "run out" to start updates any more. I just did my 2019.5.15 update early this morning. My car is in Florida and I am in Rio de Janeiro. The app finally can start updates remotely. Mostly I suppose that does make little difference. For those of us who are often far away from our cars this is a major improvement in the app.:)

Do you understand how statistical models and sampling works? Having 2K in your sample is nearly double what most polling models require to have pretty low error/high confidence. The main limitation of TeslaFi is that the sample tends to be biased across key demos and attributes.

Fun fact: most US voting models rely on a random stratified sample of around 1100 eligible voters. That’s a sample of 1100 used to estimate voting behavior for approx 250M eligible voters.

Of course I understand.

The problem is " Who" is listing their cars on Teslafi? Its not the sample size.

If the sample included "a little bit of everyone".....then yes.

But if 90% of the people on Teslafi are in California...then the sample size is skewed because California ( or the west coast) is seemingly Tesla's state of choice for just about everything.

Who are these people listing on Teslafi? Can you guarantee that Teslafi contains an equal part of all 400k Model 3's / Tesla's across the planet?

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and McFlurri
ECA2338D-80B2-48F1-8C9A-3B68878C5B1D.png
Of course I understand.

The problem is " Who" is listing their cars on Teslafi? Its not the sample size.

Who are these people listing on Teslafi? Can you guarantee that Teslafi contains an equal part of all 400k Model 3's / Tesla's across the planet?
It’s well dispersed. Here is a visual of all models 3s on TF.

Just got it, too. Trying out sentry mode. Is there suppose to be a red eye looking thing on the display while I an trying to open the door without my phone nearby? I don't see it coming on. And yes, I did turned it on via the app.
If your phone is nearby, Sentry mode will not activate. Try turning off bluetooth or putting your phone far away from the car and test it out again.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
If your phone is nearby, Sentry mode will not activate. Try turning off bluetooth or putting your phone far away from the car and test it out again.

This isn't true, at least not with the version on my 3, 2019.5.4. When I have Sentry Mode turned on if I approach my car with my phone and stand alongside it the Sentry Mode screen will display.

Reactions: moonfresh