Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SRPlus battery drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My New 2020 Model 3 SRPlus battery drains about 15-20 miles/hr when parked outside during the day (loosing about 120-150 miles in 7-8 hrs), are there any settings within the car computer or Mobile app that i should be aware off that is causing this drain?

I live in Philadelphia suburb, so it's been mild-winter this year, with average temperatures around mid-40s. At night the Car is parked inside the garage and so the drain isn't that bad (<5/m/hr).

I switch off cabin/inside temperature before locking the car.

15-20 miles an hour is SUPER high, even accounting for all the battery draining “features” like sentry and summon standby.

Something isn’t right. First reboot the MCU. If it still happens, you need to go in for service.

My New 2020 Model 3 SRPlus battery drains about 15-20 miles/hr when parked outside during the day (loosing about 120-150 miles in 7-8 hrs), are there any settings within the car computer or Mobile app that i should be aware off that is causing this drain?

I live in Philadelphia suburb, so it's been mild-winter this year, with average temperatures around mid-40s. At night the Car is parked inside the garage and so the drain isn't that bad (<5/m/hr).

Yeah this is really high. You should notice the heat from somewhere, as this is 3kW steady state. Is your cabin staying warm?

If not, your battery is probably staying extremely warm and has some sort of issue, if the suggested reset above does not fix it.

1. Make sure you have no third party apps running
2. Turn off sentry mode
3. Turn off cabin overheat protection / Keep climate on off
4. Turn off the standby summon if its on.

This sounds to me like you have "keep climate on" on, as well as sentry mode.

Tell us more about what you have on AND if you have ever connected anything to the car (teslafi, stats, ANY other third party app). Something is not only keeping your car awake but actively draining the battery.

I lose 2-3 miles a day if I am not plugged in, in my garage. There is no way you should be losing 5 miles an HOUR in any setting without basically everything turned on, let alone 15 miles an hour.

Thank you for the replies and recommendations. I booked a service appointment for Friday.. and I will provide an update here

Before your service appointment, can you answer whether you are using any of the stuff in my previous post (third party apps, sentry mode, keep climate on etc). If you are, and dont turn that stuff off and try again, you may be wasting your time going to the service center. Specifically, if you use any third party apps, tesla will tell you basically to pound sand, if you start talking about battery drain.

Could be something else, but before you waste your time going to the service department, you want to ensure at a minimum you are not using any third party apps (change your tesla password to invalidate your token if you are unsure, or "checked one out once but uninstalled it".

Thank you for the replies and recommendations. I booked a service appointment for Friday.. and I will provide an update here
They can analyze the data related to the battery remotely, no need to go to service center.
The same thing happened to me when I first bought my M3 SR+. The second day it was drained about 50 miles in 7 hours. I was really worried and next few days it was decreasing like 15, 10, 5 etc with Sentry mode on. I called service center and they analyzed battery data remotely and confirmed nothing wrong with the battery.
It's been over a month I don't see any drain issues. I even went on a long drive about 1200 miles without issues.
The only thing I was confident was everybody said "the battery will level off as you use it" the same thing is happening now and I can see it.
Good thing is not too low temps even in Dec and Jan. The battery performance is even better in summer as most of the users experienced.

i open the
They can analyze the data related to the battery remotely, no need to go to service center.
The same thing happened to me when I first bought my M3 SR+. The second day it was drained about 50 miles in 7 hours. I was really worried and next few days it was decreasing like 15, 10, 5 etc with Sentry mode on. I called service center and they analyzed battery data remotely and confirmed nothing wrong with the battery.
It's been over a month I don't see any drain issues. I even went on a long drive about 1200 miles without issues.
The only thing I was confident was everybody said "the battery will level off as you use it" the same thing is happening now and I can see it.
Good thing is not too low temps even in Dec and Jan. The battery performance is even better in summer as most of the users experienced.[/QUO
Just for clarity (I know how it is done), can you describe how you do this?

Before getting out of the car for good, I press the ON/OFF switch on the screen within the Climate control menu.

In the past, my Tesla advisor said that as soon as I exit the car, the climate control is switched off, unless I turn it ON remotely using my Tesla app. I haven't tried this yet

Before getting out of the car for good, I press the ON/OFF switch on the screen within the Climate control menu.

In the past, my Tesla advisor said that as soon as I exit the car, the climate control is switched off, unless I turn it ON remotely using my Tesla app. I haven't tried this yet

I think you fat figured your quotes.

But I keep HVAC off by default too and turn it on only when needed and always off when I park. It saves me a ton on "phantom waste". I really wish Tesla would add an option to only allow HVAC to run when the car is "in gear". When I'm packing and unpacking the car, my car was heating the unheated garage until I got in the habit of always turning it off.

You have to be careful with Model 3's though in the summer. HVAC tries to evaporate any moisture in the HVAC after you park it. If you shut HVAC off you kill this preventative measure. I still did it on Model 3 even in teh summer and never had any "cat pee" smells ;) This was a recent mod to Model 3 software. Not sure what S/X does.

If Tesla added the option to only "run in gear" then I could let it clean out the moisture in the summer when I park.

But I keep HVAC off by default too and turn it on only when needed and always off when I park. It saves me a ton on "phantom waste". I really wish Tesla would add an option to only allow HVAC to run when the car is "in gear". When I'm packing and unpacking the car, my car was heating the unheated garage until I got in the habit of always turning it off.

You have to be careful with Model 3's though in the summer. HVAC tries to evaporate any moisture in the HVAC after you park it. If you shut HVAC off you kill this preventative measure. I still did it on Model 3 even in teh summer and never had any "cat pee" smells ;) This was a recent mod to Model 3 software. Not sure what S/X does.

If Tesla added the option to only "run in gear" then I could let it clean out the moisture in the summer when I park.
When I exit my car I turn off HVAC, mute the radio, and turn off seat heaters.

There is no way your car should have vampire drain anywhere near this level. It really feels like your HVAC and/or Sentry Mode is on. Note in the HVAC settings as mentioned earlier you can set "Keep Climate On" and you can set Sentry Mode to auto turn on when you park. Note you can geofence Sentry Mode wrt where it is on or off or set it to be only when you manually enable it. Also as said please check all these things before going to a SC and wasting your time. As also referenced third party apps coming in via the API can stop you car from going to sleep and really drain your battery. I have had this issue with 3rd party apps despite carefully optimizing the settings. Despite loving the third party app info I have stopped using them as it seems they sometimes misbehave despite your settings and drain your battery, the Tesla app is slowly getting better and third party API access is very risky wrt security (there is a thread on this as well). Good luck addressing

Before getting out of the car for good, I press the ON/OFF switch on the screen within the Climate control menu. In the past, my Tesla advisor said that as soon as I exit the car, the climate control is switched off, unless I turn it ON remotely using my Tesla app. I haven't tried this yet

With this sort of drain, it should be obvious when you get back in the car that it is still warm. You live in Philadelphia and it is cold there. There's really no way to burn 3kW+ without keeping something quite toasty. That's 2-3 hair dryers running on max.

If it's not, and you're still losing 150 miles (30kWh) in 8 hours (3.75kW), you need to take it to Tesla - it's probably about to catch on fire or something! (I'm half serious...that much energy has to go somewhere...)

Last edited:

So you don't want to sit in the CAR parked on a hot summer day !!!

Before your service appointment, can you answer whether you are using any of the stuff in my previous post (third party apps, sentry mode, keep climate on etc). If you are, and dont turn that stuff off and try again, you may be wasting your time going to the service center. Specifically, if you use any third party apps, tesla will tell you basically to pound sand, if you start talking about battery drain.

Could be something else, but before you waste your time going to the service department, you want to ensure at a minimum you are not using any third party apps (change your tesla password to invalidate your token if you are unsure, or "checked one out once but uninstalled it".

My car is brand new, and it has close to 500 Miles, and I haven't been using Third-party applications. With my current lifestyle, i am struggling to use the Tesla app, so lets leave out third-party apps from my current or future list.

I have installed the Wall Charger, and it seems like the charge is holding up well for the past couple of days. In the past, I charged with the mobile charger or at work.