Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard Range Plus or Long Range AWD in the Ottawa Area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive Toronto (actually Oakville) to Montreal and Ottawa 6 or more times a year. Until Brockville is built long range has the advantage that you can skip Kingston whether to/from Ottawa or Montreal and also in winter.

Once Brockville is up then Brockville and Belleville will be perfect stops I think.

Edit: I can easily do the trip home to/from Ottawa with 1 stop in Belleville. Montreal I usually do Belleville and Cornwall.

Last edited:
One final thing since I know this has been looooong (but these are the kinds of posts I looked for when we were considering the purchase) is that I believe my mistake has been starting out each leg at 120/125KM/h (going with the traffic ok....), and then when the charge estimate drops too low, I reduce the speed and then sometimes decide to bail out. I think next time I will start each leg at 105KM/h and then IF the estimate stays somewhat reasonable, increase speed slowly. Again, sorry for the essay.

Yes playing around with a better route planner and figuring out the speed to go can really help. Even in winter if you drive a consistent 100-105 you could make it to Belleville from Ottawa on a single charge (though you might have to take highway 7 below a certain temperature).

Yes playing around with a better route planner and figuring out the speed to go can really help. Even in winter if you drive a consistent 100-105 you could make it to Belleville from Ottawa on a single charge (though you might have to take highway 7 below a certain temperature).

I think the next time we go we'll certainly take 7. We did that on the way home from our delivery day and it worked fine, even without CHAdeMO.

Once Brockville is up then Brockville and Belleville will be perfect stops I think.

I fully agree! Here's hoping Elon time 2018 == 2020 :)

First production run LR RWD M3 owner in Ottawa here. I hail from Labrador West so I know how to deal with extreme cold, I've personally experienced -106 C (exposed skin freezes in minutes). Just last week, my family (in Labrador) just went through a bout of -45 C cold. So why all the background? Well I'm tired of reading/hearing all the comments that cold reduces range. Cold does NOT lessen the amount of electrons that are stored in a battery. Cold DOES inhibit the ability to discharge or charge, aka move electrons, for a battery. When a battery warms up or keeps warm, it'll work as normal with the same amount of electrons that you put into it. Of course, this has NOTHING do to with how you use (budget) those electrons. Obviously, some of those electrons may have to be used for heating instead of movement. This is the "perceived" range loss but it only applies if you don't thermally manage things. Remember thermal differential is the real culprit here. If you want a warm car/battery, full regen, and long range in cold weather it depends on your starting point and what you're powering.

Rule number one in cold (or hot) climate: When there's a high temperature differential, it's takes less time and energy KEEPING things warm (or cold) than warming (cooling) things. When the differential is not so much, it's a push. For me, I run the car's climate keeper both in summer (AC recirc) and winter (Heat recirc.) while parked at work. I hate a hot car or a cold car. When parked (no plugin), in summer (hot) I use 15-20% battery in a 8 hour period. In winter (cold) I use 25-30% battery in a 8 hour period. Of course, I start the day with my car being at optimal temperature and 90% charge (I use % energy instead of distance). With a 1 hour commute X 2 (to & from work), I get home with above 60% for summer and 40-50% for winter. In other words, I use ~10% in my commute in summer and ~20% for winter. This assumes thet my car is always at the right temperature (20-22 C) at start and I may have slight regen loss (winter only). Only on the really cold days (with windchill) that I might get the blue snowflake (not cold soaked though) and/or full regen loss but it'll get better on commute.

This is my experience for Ottawa, for a garage housed Model 3 with a moderate commute (mostly city driving). I find that my LR RWD exceeds my needs. A SR+ should easily have enough range given same assumptions.

Kaoru

This thread has me wondering if I should have stuck with the SR+. There’s something about losing that $5k rebate that keeps me up at night

Ultimately it depends on your driving patterns. Having now gone through most of the winter with my SR+ I have zero regrets. For my usage, there is no way I could justify the higher cost and losing the $5k rebate.

Ultimately it depends on your driving patterns. Having now gone through most of the winter with my SR+ I have zero regrets. For my usage, there is no way I could justify the higher cost and losing the $5k rebate.

I am doing the LR AWD for the premium sound and AWD really. I figured the smallest accident would easily cost the extra $15K. That said, the $15K really does seem ridiculous. $10K makes a lot more sense.

Keep in mind if you use your Tesla for business $55,000.00 can be completely written off in the year of purchase, as part of the Federal government program to promote the use of EV’s.