Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Stealth Performance Range dropped from 310 to 298 after 2019.40.50.1 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Breaking off a separate thread but based on the previous thread below. 4 Model 3 Stealth Performance owners including myself have all see the range decreases from 310 to 298 following the 2019.40.50.1 Christmas update.

I am under 500 miles and another owner is at 51 miles on our new Model 3s.

Hopefully this is fixed in a future update soon. I did send a support email to Tesla asking about this as well today. Waiting for a reply.

NEW M3 showing only 310 vs 322

Attachments

• 63FE5E35-3384-4FA5-B532-9AB72777B9A0.jpeg
    63FE5E35-3384-4FA5-B532-9AB72777B9A0.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
P3D- here.... Range for me at 90% charged has increased from 279 to 282 for me after the 50.1 update.. so it's not an ALL P3D- problem. My thoughts are the algorithms for calculating range has some factor now with includes driving behaviors to a small degree.

my stealth went to 298 too! but then it's been sitting in garage for a month.. 51miles on odometer! but then it's been going up and down before this update by a few miles here and there when i check on my app so maybe it'll go back up?

Reactions: hcdavis3
Build date for mine was a week before I got it so Dec 10, 2019 I think it rolled off the production line and I got it in NY 12/16/19.

If what QS01 saying is right I wouldn’t mind it depicting a more accurate rated range as I know my driving efficiency won’t be as good being winter freezing weather past 2 weeks at times. I just hope there is something official to understand this vs thinking my battery degraded 4% in 2 weeks.

I hope everyone understands that number means literally nothing. Your range did not decrease. It’s just a one time number in the BEM calculates based on what it thinks are the kWh available, which is temperature dependent. People report changes in that number when they wake up in the morning when cold fronts come through.

My opinion is Tesla made a mistake putting range as the default in the display and it should have been percentage. Everyone is used to a gas guage with full, 3/4. 1/2, etc marks so I think the same should be in out cars. It would reduce all this unnecessary anxiety.

Many cars today do have expected range as an option to display but we rarely hear about owners focusing on that number as people accept driving habits and environmental condition changes those numbers. Nothing is different for BEV.

Battery degradation is a real thing but can only be trended over time. One data point means statistically very little. One data point is not a trend. Start logging your charging with Teslafi, Stats, or whatever. Expect about 5-10 percent (30 miles or 280 at 100% for P’s - again not a one time reading but an average reading over time) the first year and settle after that. Anymore and you do have a reason to be upset, but little recourse unless it’s above the 30% Tesla warranties. It’s a great car with by far the best battery tech available. Enjoy it.

I hope everyone understands that number means literally nothing. Your range did not decrease. It’s just a one time number in the BEM calculates based on what it thinks are the kWh available, which is temperature dependent. People report changes in that number when they wake up in the morning when cold fronts come through.

My opinion is Tesla made a mistake putting range as the default in the display and it should have been percentage. Everyone is used to a gas guage with full, 3/4. 1/2, etc marks so I think the same should be in out cars. It would reduce all this unnecessary anxiety.

Many cars today do have expected range as an option to display but we rarely hear about owners focusing on that number as people accept driving habits and environmental condition changes those numbers. Nothing is different for BEV.

Battery degradation is a real thing but can only be trended over time. One data point means statistically very little. One data point is not a trend. Start logging your charging with Teslafi, Stats, or whatever. Expect about 5-10 percent (30 miles or 280 at 100% for P’s - again not a one time reading but an average reading over time) the first year and settle after that. Anymore and you do have a reason to be upset, but little recourse unless it’s above the 30% Tesla warranties. It’s a great car with by far the best battery tech available. Enjoy it.

Agree with all of this.

I used to worry about the battery degradation and range but once I realized the 100% charge mileage can be effected by a number of things I really pretty much ignore it. It will vary quite a bit depending on the charging pattern, software update, etc.

Just enjoy the car. No one obsesses over the range of a ICE car even though there is likely some changes over time depending on how it is maintained.

Picked my model 3 performance 3 days ago and it was charged to 90% with 279 miles. Drove it home and ran the Christmas update and it's been at 262 miles on 90% charge since then. Was worried I had a rare issue but seems like it's related to the update and not a bad battery

Everyone is used to a gas guage with full, 3/4. 1/2, etc marks so I think the same should be in out cars.

Every car I've owned in the last 15+ years have had an "XX miles to empty" display. That's what I've been looking at for 15+ years now; as far as I'm concerned, gas cars can remove the gauge too. 50% fuel or battery remaining doesn't help me one iota as its own metric. 150 miles to empty certainly does.

@dmurphy , but that miles to empty is not the “default”. The gas guage is. That’s my point.

What’s worse is the miles Tesla displays by default next to the battery is “ideal” and a simple product of the remaining kWh (which as stated previously is a hard to measure value, temperature dependent, etc) and the rated kWh/mile from the EPA. It has caused more concern and anxiety in this lists than is necessary. Further, the rated efficiency used in the calculation seems to be software dependent. For most manufacturers, the number the “miles to empty” number shown in modern cars like you say takes into account the gas in the tank and the driving habits in the past “x” miles. This is analogous to the energy app we have. This app is awesome. It would be nice to have this shown just like it can be today in the dash of ICE cars with miles to empty. But the default should still be percentage of energy left (or gas).

I agree, 6 month owner and the 80% charge will swing by 10 or more miles. Don't even bother looking at it anymore, means nothing. Battery is holding up just fine.