Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 stinks ....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, mine literally stinks, as in HVAC blows stinky air - I've had air filers replaced and kept the car extremely clean... no one in my household wants to ride in it now because once the ac blows air, stinky air fills the interior and quite honestly very off putting and I dread riding in it now because I know what to expect when the ac starts blowing. Other than that, this is still my favorite car in my garage... well this and the Model S.

In January of 2004 I bought the Prius because of its futuristic technology. I loved it. By 2006 I was disappointed that it only went into electric mode occasionally, and at low power demand, even with an aftermarket EV switch.

So I bought the Zap Xebra. It was badly designed and constructed worse. And it ruined the Prius for me because it was all electric all the time. It was uncomfortable to sit in, and it was a rattletrap, and unsafe, and took half a minute to reach its top speed of 35 mph. It was a real POS. And every time I drove it I had a big shiteating grin on my face. And when I had to drive the Prius I felt horrible because I was burning gas.

Got rid of the Xebra when I got the Roadster. Got rid of the Roadster after I got the Model 3. And the 3 is the best car I've ever owned or driven or ridden in. I would be utterly miserable if I ever had to go back to driving a stinker.

Really, the Model 3 stinks. It’s a terrible car.

... simply because, it’s completely ruined driving anything else for me.

Things like instant torque, turn signal stalks, steering, audio, the huge display, and so much more .... have me completely questioning the so-called “quality” of everything else I drive.

Warts and all - there’s NOTHING on the market like a Tesla. It’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever driven.

I drove my wife’s Enclave today - first time driving a gas car in about a month. Wow. I’m ruined. It just felt sloppy - things I thought were tight just felt ... cheap. Turn signal, for instance - whatever spring Tesla uses, it just gives a solid feel vs the Buick. Downshifting? What the heck is that?! And don’t get me started on how awful the in-dash screen is .... looks like a joke after Model 3.

So, Tesla, you stink. You’ve just destroyed any happiness I had in owning that Buick. It WAS a quality vehicle to me, at least in the 3-row SUV class ... now I’m ruined.

I thought changing my daily driver from an SUV to the Model 3 would drive me crazy .... instead, it’s the other way around. I couldn’t wait to get home and get back in my little electric sedan!!
LOL! I always make fun of my wife's car (Mercedes GLS 450) when we take it somewhere together. I know exactly what you mean.

Prior to my Model 3 that vehicle was very nice!

Things like instant torque, turn signal stalks, steering, audio, the huge display, and so much more .... have me completely questioning the so-called “quality” of everything else I drive.

Warts and all - there’s NOTHING on the market like a Tesla. It’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever driven.

I drove my wife’s Enclave today - first time driving a gas car in about a month. Wow. I’m ruined. It just felt sloppy - things I thought were tight just felt ... cheap. Turn signal, for instance - whatever spring Tesla uses, it just gives a solid feel vs the Buick. Downshifting? What the heck is that?! And don’t get me started on how awful the in-dash screen is .... looks like a joke after Model 3.

So, Tesla, you stink. You’ve just destroyed any happiness I had in owning that Buick. It WAS a quality vehicle to me, at least in the 3-row SUV class ... now I’m ruined.

I thought changing my daily driver from an SUV to the Model 3 would drive me crazy .... instead, it’s the other way around. I couldn’t wait to get home and get back in my little electric sedan!!

Preach it my friend.

Got a free “upgrade” to a Cherry Red Camaro during a business trip recently.

Immediately felt shortchanged and wanted to be back in the Tesla...

I have to be 100% honest with your post. It does completely ruin the feel of many cars. Especially when you compare it to very boring and cheap American cars. However, being a model 3 owner up until yesterday. It does not blow the water off all ice cars.

Lets begin....

If you live in a cold state. You will never get the suggested range and always be wondering... how far can I actually go?

Next would be trying to win a race anything above 60 MPH. They are a lighting bunny off the light, but that only last for a few second. Have watched and personally been roasted by many high end cars. ie- s4,S3,AMG,M4,M5. They all just have more power band until max speed.

Finally, it’s a nice interior and sound is great. Try stepping into a new high end German car and tell me if you are still feeling that love you had for your “Tesla interior” .

Overall the car worked great for me, but after dealing with countless issues with their customer service, price changes, inconsistent range, and buggy systems. I had to call it quits and snag a M5. Not one single regret.
I'd be up for a race over 60mph, but not sure where I can do such things other than the track? 60-80 would be fine, but the only other time I'd be racing over that on the highway is if I am running from the cops. I have yet to lose a stoplight to freeway race to anything. Not saying it's the fastest in the world, but some BMW's and AMG's have been pretty upset (one drove into a median to show off or something, and the other almost off the side of a freeway onramp :( ).

I'm looking into taking the car to a track, but it seems like it's prohibitively expensive to do so here so it won't be a great hobby for me. Not when I can just offroad race my RzR anywhere for way less money, and have more fun than a track race.

How many miles do you put on your BMW? I see a trend that most BMW, Audi, AMG enthusiasts either don't tend to drive all that much, or are trading in their cars every 3 years. Nothing wrong with that though. For me an M5 is way way way too expensive. Cost of ownership over 5 years is likely nearly 3x what my 3 would cost me. I will have over 100k miles on the car by the time I pay it off in 5 years, and gas alone at $4 a gallon adds up quite quickly (roughly $22,000-25,000 just in fuel alone for the M5). Not to mention other services and maintenance. I haven't owned one, but just google BMW M5 over 100k mile and see the results google turns up? Now search Tesla over 100k miles...

100k isn't allot of miles either, lots of toyotas out there with WAY more.

To me, there is nothing more luxurious than having my car drive me around, well so long as the seats are comfortable :)

Last edited:
Was a BMW owner for decades up until we purchased our Model S. BMW is great until they start falling apart around 60K miles. ALL of them did. As long as you get BMWs on lease and turn them in every 3 years, they're great. Oh, and BTW, you're comparing Tesla's entry-level car with some fairly higher-end cars. A fairer comparison would be the Model S against those cars.....of which they would all lose. :)
Have a X5 35D with 78k on it now issues what so ever. That being said I’m done going to the gas station so the X5 will be my last non electric car I buy.

Last edited:

It gets worse the longer you drive it.....it is such a pleasure to drive....

Reactions: Futuresystem
Yeah. I had just rented a Hertz 2018 Nissan Verso in NYC. Had to really think about how to drive this antiquated car. It has a real key! And I had to remember to use the brakes. And the tiny blurry rear view camera reminded me of an old Bugs Bunny cartoon. Engine noise and zero to 60 in 15 seconds (a real challenge when driving the city's highways!!). Had to hand pump the seat adjustments.

Once you drive a Tesla, everything else stinks... and I'm being objective!

• Love
Yeah. I had just rented a Hertz 2018 Nissan Verso in NYC. Had to really think about how to drive this antiquated car. It has a real key! And I had to remember to use the brakes. And the tiny blurry rear view camera reminded me of an old Bugs Bunny cartoon. Engine noise and zero to 60 in 15 seconds (a real challenge when driving the city's highways!!). Had to hand pump the seat adjustments.

Once you drive a Tesla, everything else stinks... and I'm being objective!
Your comments remind me of a Mustang I saw the other day. Loud and obnoxious I couldn’t believe how slow he left the light in proportion to how much noise he was making. It just didn’t equate in my mind.

I a 95 M-Edition Miata as my weekend/fun- car along with my M3 and my wife RAV4 Hybrid. The Miata serves as a reminder of how things were last century and how far we have come so far in this century. I love driving both cars because of the perspective they provide.

But I agree - driving anything else modern (aside from my RAV4 - it's like a micro EV lol) is practically a chore...

Reactions: ColoradoFun
I a 95 M-Edition Miata as my weekend/fun- car along with my M3 and my wife RAV4 Hybrid. The Miata serves as a reminder of how things were last century and how far we have come so far in this century. I love driving both cars because of the perspective they provide.

But I agree - driving anything else modern (aside from my RAV4 - it's like a micro EV lol) is practically a chore...
I'll buy your Miata if you dont want it anymore.

I have only owned my Tesla for 3 weeks but on a trip had a Toyota Camry for a rental car with only 300 miles on it. The interior was very nice, the gas mileage was impressive and the cruise control worked well, better than I thought it would at least. But the lack of acceleration and the noise it made while accelerating was very distracting - sounded like the engine was going to fall out of the car. All those useless knobs and tiny map made me feel like I was in an older car not a brand new one.

Yes my M3 really stinks and has ruined me with ice cars forever.

I commandeered my son's Model 3. I drove it from SF to Santa Barbara for two weeks and then back to SF to return it. It was wonderful! Modern conveniences like the new cruise control are fabulous.

And then home to my Roadster. Two seats, no roof, mandatory sun screen and a hat, manual steering so you can REALLY feel the road on turns, so low you are dragging your behind almost on the pavement. And after all these years people STILL constantly oogling at me and saying WOW! Ya know? I'm still smiling and will keep what I got!

“Overall the car worked great for me said:
Sounds to me like you regret buying the model 3 in the first place. Why do I see many posts with this tone? “I love my model 3 except for these 93 major problems....”. Why not just come out and say you hated it? Nobody sells a car that “worked great for me” after less than a year. Is it because you think your viewpoint will be immediately dismissed if you don’t pretend that you think it’s a great car (if not for x, y, z)?

I have a AWD LR 3 and love it. But I love my 911 Turbo way more than the 3. Tesla has not ruined anything for me, the Porsche had done that already, ruining my "any other car" experience for me.

Well, not true as well ;))) I rent a lot of cars and enjoy many of them (Fiat 500, love it, Camaro SS a terrible car that I loved, would never buy one though) and hated many of them (Hyundai Accent, Ford Ecowhatever, etc)

Cars are just great toys, some because they really are great, others because of sheer quirkyness or even because they are so bad that I end up making me laugh so much that I love them. Has anybody here driven a Citroën 2CV? Most beautiful thing to drive ever! You can't stop laughing!

Reactions: mrwuffles