Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Strange "helicopter" noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model 3 LR RWD with just under 20K miles. Had tires rotated at around 10K miles. somewhere around 15K started noticing a noise between 30-45 MPH that is like a recurring "womp-womp-womp" with the frequency changing with speed. From what I have researched could be wheel bearing or tire issue (cupping?). Just wondering if anyone else has come across this before.

Here is a quick video of the sound:

I have an appointment with SC Tomorrow (May 5th). They are charging a $155 if it is deemed not covered by warranty (when did they start doing that?). I'll update with what they find out.

To quickly diagnose shade tree style:
1: eyeball and feel the tires, is the wear even? Does it have any cupping? (All 4 tires, make sure to look/feel the inner edge). If abnormal, get it aligned.
2: if tires are fine you can often times get an idea of a dying wheel bearing by jacking up one wheel at a time and get that wheel spinning with one hand while touching a suspension component with another (many times this takes two people as the best part to grab is the spring...if you feel a vibration, the bearing unit is shot. This one does take a little experience to work with great accuracy. But you can compare one side to the other if there’s doubt.

for many people the SC fee is worth not having to do this.
Edit: oh, I assume no vibration?

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
No, I mean you post a 30 second video of a faint sound and choose to do it when you have your blinker on for 23 of the seconds, lol!

Yeah, probably could've reshot some of that video on a straight drive, or in an empty parking lot. But I'll never fault someone for using their blinker - it's such a rare talent these days!

Reactions: calidreamz808
To quickly diagnose shade tree style:
1: eyeball and feel the tires, is the wear even? Does it have any cupping? (All 4 tires, make sure to look/feel the inner edge). If abnormal, get it aligned.
2: if tires are fine you can often times get an idea of a dying wheel bearing by jacking up one wheel at a time and get that wheel spinning with one hand while touching a suspension component with another (many times this takes two people as the best part to grab is the spring...if you feel a vibration, the bearing unit is shot. This one does take a little experience to work with great accuracy. But you can compare one side to the other if there’s doubt.

for many people the SC fee is worth not having to do this.
Edit: oh, I assume no vibration?

So no vibration while driving. On the way to the SC today I did pay attention and the noise appears to be coming from the front left tire. I did try looking at and feeling the tires but didn't notice anything abnormal.

Well SC was a bit disappointing. They couldn't replicate a separate clicking noise (clicks when moving into full up) and for the tires they just said the noise will go away when I replace them. Said they replicated the noise during a test drive and inspected all 4 wheels and couldn't find anything wrong. Said all tires are wearing evenly and no rotation/alignment needed but they did see feathering on some of the wheels. Said I only have a couple thousands miles left on the tires (4/32 all around) and when I replace them the noise should go away. When I pressed about what could cause the feathering if not the alignment and was told it just happens due to the weight of EVs. I'm only at 19K miles on the stock tires and seems they aren't going to make it far past 20.

Well SC was a bit disappointing. They couldn't replicate a separate clicking noise (clicks when moving into full up) and for the tires they just said the noise will go away when I replace them. Said they replicated the noise during a test drive and inspected all 4 wheels and couldn't find anything wrong. Said all tires are wearing evenly and no rotation/alignment needed but they did see feathering on some of the wheels. Said I only have a couple thousands miles left on the tires (4/32 all around) and when I replace them the noise should go away. When I pressed about what could cause the feathering if not the alignment and was told it just happens due to the weight of EVs. I'm only at 19K miles on the stock tires and seems they aren't going to make it far past 20.

I wish there was a face palm reaction. That is disappointing!

If it were me, I would get it aligned and rotate the tires (any competent alignment shop can align a Tesla). See if the noise is less noticeable.

How many miles do you have on the car?

2018 Model 3 LR RWD with just under 20K miles. Had tires rotated at around 10K miles. somewhere around 15K started noticing a noise between 30-45 MPH that is like a recurring "womp-womp-womp" with the frequency changing with speed. From what I have researched could be wheel bearing or tire issue (cupping?). Just wondering if anyone else has come across this before.
I have exactly the same noise with my model 3 at 30-45 mph and SC could not replicate that of course. Have you figured that out? I've noticed one thing. I had a situation when I had to brake stronger then usual and I heard that noise louder than usual, like of a chewing rubber.

I have exactly the same problem with a 2020 P3D stealth. The problem started around 16k and I figured it was tire noise so I waited until I put new tires on the car (and alignment) at 20k expecting the noise to go away which it did not. I now have 25k on the car and the helicopter noise is still there. (no clicking noise and the frequency changes with speed) It is most noticeable around 30-45 mph but it can still be heard slower/faster than that. I had the car into the SC around 22k miles and they said they could not replicate it on the lift with the suspension unloaded but figured it was a wheel bearing after driving it. SC stated that they changed all 4 wheel bearings as they could not locate the noisy one in the shop. The day I picked the car up from the SC the noise had not changed ... fast forward to today and the it is the same, maybe slightly louder.

At low speeds around 15-20 it sounds like almost a slight grinding. No wobble in the wheel or vibration when driving at any speeds.

I will say that when I go down a short steep hill, making the suspension "unloaded" and the noise briefly goes away until the suspension bears the full weight of the vehicle.

The noise drives me crazy. I feel like I am driving a dump truck with the wheel/rotational noise.

Anyone have any suggestions? I plan to take it into the Rockville, MD SC again here soon for the same thing.