Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 sulks if it isnt parked on the drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I have a model 3, owned from new and purchased in December 21.
The car is set up to my mobile and works perfectly to unlock, I get in punch in my pass code, select drive and off I go. Just recently we have been having some work done on the house so I park on the road, approx 15 meters away, so builders can get their van on the drive. After they go I get the car to put on the drive. Door won't open. I go in the app to unlock, it then requests the card under the arm rest! WTF. It's sulking.
Twice it has done this now. I take the car out every day to work or shops with no problem whatsoever, so why is it doing this within 15 meters from home? Yes it will disconnect from wifi, but it does at work etc.
Just frustrating, anyone had a similar experience?

Cheers
Richard

Sounds like the location is probably just an amusing coincidence. I guess it could be something to do with having a very weak wifi signal & the car getting itself confused. Mine has done that a few times, usually not long after a software update. But every time it's happened to me so far has been on my drive in the usual parking spot. A 2-button reboot has fixed it for me so far.

Reactions: Fury1
As per page 1, Para 1 of the manual:

“If your model 3s normal parking space is taken over by an ICE vehicle, especially a builders van, it will respond by letting you know it isn’t happy. These responses will vary in severity starting with making you get your key card out and reducing the convenience of owning a Tesla over ICE. The severity will rapidly increase until Model 3 is happy again.”

How would you feel if you were relegated from your bed as the builders were in it? My thoughts are with your M3 👍🏻

WTF. It's sulking.
Twice it has done this now.
Oh dear. This isn’t good- this really isn’t good.
You’ve really torn it now.

SHE is sulking.
You wont get good service if you go round called HER “it”

Apologise, make sure she has a lovely name, and flatter her every time you go to the shops. Take her out on the occasional long and unnecessary trip. Buy her some nice accessories, and the occasional shot of Supercharge at the fancy Tesla refreshments bar. Everything will be perfect again.

Last edited:
Mine occasionally asks for the card to unlock, if I loiter around it for a min or so it usually lets me in the with phone key eventually. TBH I'm more annoyed that it seems to prefer my husband to me and often connects to his phone rather than mine even though mine is the primary 😮

Mine occasionally asks for the card to unlock, if I loiter around it for a min or so it usually lets me in the with phone key eventually. TBH I'm more annoyed that it seems to prefer my husband to me and often connects to his phone rather than mine even though mine is the primary 😮
I sometimes see a delay in walking up to car and being able to open. Not long. Maybe 5 seconds but always makes me panic as I rarely have the key card with me.

We also see the wrong profile both ways (I am primary) but often my wife's profile is set when I get in even when she is not with me but drive the car last.

Also noted sometimes if I have phone in back pocket the car won't open until I get my phone out.

Nothing majorly annoying to be fair though. More convenient than having a key (IMO)

Ok so I have a model 3, owned from new and purchased in December 21.
The car is set up to my mobile and works perfectly to unlock, I get in punch in my pass code, select drive and off I go. Just recently we have been having some work done on the house so I park on the road, approx 15 meters away, so builders can get their van on the drive. After they go I get the car to put on the drive. Door won't open. I go in the app to unlock, it then requests the card under the arm rest! WTF. It's sulking.
Twice it has done this now. I take the car out every day to work or shops with no problem whatsoever, so why is it doing this within 15 meters from home? Yes it will disconnect from wifi, but it does at work etc.
Just frustrating, anyone had a similar experience?

Cheers
Richard
Happens to me all the time. It uses bluetooth. Turn it off, then on, then connect to car

I sometimes see a delay in walking up to car and being able to open. Not long. Maybe 5 seconds but always makes me panic as I rarely have the key card with me.
If the bluetooth doesn't work you should be able to unlock & start the car with the NFC on the phone in the same way as you use a keycard. On my Android I just need to unlock the phone & touch it to the B pillar, no need to open the Tesla app. Not sure if iPhone is the same.

If the bluetooth doesn't work you should be able to unlock & start the car with the NFC on the phone in the same way as you use a keycard. On my Android I just need to unlock the phone & touch it to the B pillar, no need to open the Tesla app. Not sure if iPhone is the same.
Hmm. I tried that once and nothing happened. But maybe car was just playing up a bit. I'll try again next time it occurs.

I've been 50/50 on whether to go back to an iPhone because I now have an iPad Pro for work. Another nail in the coffin for that then... I've only had to use the function 2 or 3 times in the past 13 months, but wouldn't want to lose the functionality.
Of course, it is a great function with Android phones. I just keep a back up android phone which I use for some basic work purpose - also act as NFC back up if my iPhone bluetooth doesn’t work. Also acts as key so no need to carry the key card.

Of course, it is a great function with Android phones. I just keep a back up android phone which I use for some basic work purpose - also act as NFC back up if my iPhone bluetooth doesn’t work. Also acts as key so no need to carry the key card.

I think most people would find it easier to carry a keycard than a spare Android phone! :)

When I switched to iPhone I found that my connectivity problems using my old Android phone disappeared (mainly because it was knackered, probably not because it was Android) ... other than iPhone preference for being in a front pocket when you approach the car, but I'm happier that my phone doesn't allow the car to unlock unless I'm right next to it!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I think most people would find it easier to carry a keycard than a spare Android phone! :)

When I switched to iPhone I found that my connectivity problems using my old Android phone disappeared (mainly because it was knackered, probably not because it was Android) ... other than iPhone preference for being in a front pocket when you approach the car, but I'm happier that my phone doesn't allow the car to unlock unless I'm right next to it!
True, I also use that as work phone :)

This happens to me all the time, I approach the car and it doesn't open.
Solution? Since I keep my phone in my back pocket, I turn around and "present butt". That's all that is needed.

You are very possibly approaching the car from a different direction or with different timing. The car just has to be able to hear your phone long enough for a security exchange.

If it is raining, I will ALWAYS keep my phone in my hand in front of me as I approach the car quickly. That seems to work reliably for me.

The car is indeed sulking, or actually being careful. It just hasn't heard it's friend, your phone enough.