Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
My Model 3 is baking in the sun :( I have enabled cabin overheat protection (with A/C) but on the odd occasion I'll load the app and it tells me the interior is 49C or thereabouts.

I don't have the option of garaging the car at the moment, as it's full of stuff.

I don't fancy fitting an outdoor car cover in case it marks the paint.

Has anyone bought these and can tell me how effective they are?
Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade

Thanks in advance :)

I purchased a copy of the front sunroof shade from eBay last summer. At the time Tesla UK was not selling them and had no estimate of when they might become available. The one I bought fits well and looks to be modelled after the Tesla one. Whilst I only have the front one, I doubt even both would do much to limit the cabin interior from overheating. Ours (granted just the front one only) is helpful to limit glare when driving on a rare fully sunshine day, but for a parked car sitting in the sun there is still so much glass that I wouldn't expect a big improvement. The better option may both sunroof shades plus those reflective windscreen and rear screen sunshades, but you still have the windows on the sides of the car. In true sunny summer climates I often see cars with the reflective shades, but they do look fiddly to put up and take down and fold away.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
It's about the time to think of overheating indeed.

We have a dual-layer sunshade set for the glass roof available, you can choose to blind the glass roof partially or completely. The frame is made from memory metal so you can fold it easily. On top of this product we will have the front window reflection shad in 2 weeks, also a foldable design, when it's folded you can put it easily in the frunk.

Reactions: M3noob
Down here, I've seen the temps as high as 146F during the day. At work, I usually park under a building, but now that I'm working from home for a few months, the car is parked in the driveway. I have a windshield reflective shade, but I'm not sure how much that helps the interior temp. I like it more for the direct sunlight protection. Unfortunately, I had no time to get the car tinted before the Covid-19 outbreak so that doesn't help. And I'm definitely not going to take a chance yet. What does help is venting which usually lowers the temp to about 99F. I don't use the climate on feature since venting seems to do a good enough job.

• Informative
A car port as a lockdown project? One of those Halford type pop-up tents - just make sure the guys are thoroughly anchored 'os when i used mine as a workshop extension the (serious) pegs got ripped out by a gust. Final option is a couple of garden umbrellas.

Thanks, I’ll give venting a try I think. I’ve even been looking at car ports as an option.

As has been said above it’s only really something I’ve noticed now that I can notice it, with the app. I didn’t really stop to think about it with previous cars out in the sun.

A car port as a lockdown project? One of those Halford type pop-up tents - just make sure the guys are thoroughly anchored 'os when i used mine as a workshop extension the (serious) pegs got ripped out by a gust. Final option is a couple of garden umbrellas.
I’ve been pondering this...

Palram Vitoria 5000 Aluminium and Polycarbonate Carport, Grey | Costco UK

This is sortof a lockdown problem since I’ve never been in a position where I’ve worked from home every day, so my cars would be used to commute.

As it is, I haven’t driven it since around the start of April and it’s just getting covered in dust and detritus. I even washed it last Friday :(

I have the sunshades (more for the kids than anything else). They reduce the temp, I'd estimate, by 1 or 2 degrees - they're black so not the best choice of colour in that respect.

I'm lucky to have a double garage, but at just over 5m wide it means you can only get one car out at a time! The other Tesla is under a Tesla cover in the garage plugged in and feeling happy.

There is another thread about car covers I put a few links in - here's my advice having had covers:

Black cars are going to be a pain with a cover - sneeze and they marr! If you want to use a cover and are anal (I am), get PPF put on at least the roof rails (the A-C painted pillar), the front bumper, mirrors and rear boot lid. Then get a Tesla cover, or a Covertech one that fits perfectly - its silver so will reflect heat. Wash the car, coat it if you can and use the under straps to keep it tight. Park it somewhere sheltered from the worst of the wind. You should then be fine. NEVER put a cover on a dirty or dusty car.

Hope that helps!

I have the sunshades (more for the kids than anything else). They reduce the temp, I'd estimate, by 1 or 2 degrees - they're black so not the best choice of colour in that respect.

I'm lucky to have a double garage, but at just over 5m wide it means you can only get one car out at a time! The other Tesla is under a Tesla cover in the garage plugged in and feeling happy.

There is another thread about car covers I put a few links in - here's my advice having had covers:

Black cars are going to be a pain with a cover - sneeze and they marr! If you want to use a cover and are anal (I am), get PPF put on at least the roof rails (the A-C painted pillar), the front bumper, mirrors and rear boot lid. Then get a Tesla cover, or a Covertech one that fits perfectly - its silver so will reflect heat. Wash the car, coat it if you can and use the under straps to keep it tight. Park it somewhere sheltered from the worst of the wind. You should then be fine. NEVER put a cover on a dirty or dusty car.

Hope that helps!
Cheers. I've ruled out an outdoor car cover mainly because once I start commuting again it's not going to be much use, as I won't have the time to wash the car every night. I was also strongly advised against it by the guy who detailed the car.

I found out yesterday that apparently the cabin overheat feature in the car only works up to 12 hours after you've last driven (?) or otherwise used the car, which would explain why it got up to 49C yesterday without cooling itself down.

It's ridiculous I know, but I'm already worrying about UV damage, etc and I've not had the car a month yet.

It's about the time to think of overheating indeed.

We have a dual-layer sunshade set for the glass roof available, you can choose to blind the glass roof partially or completely. The frame is made from memory metal so you can fold it easily. On top of this product we will have the front window reflection shad in 2 weeks, also a foldable design, when it's folded you can put it easily in the frunk.

I'm about to order them to give those items a try. Just sitting in a car park yesterday I was amazed at the heat coming off the glass. Review to follow.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Heavy Rain
I found out yesterday that apparently the cabin overheat feature in the car only works up to 12 hours after you've last driven (?) or otherwise used the car, which would explain why it got up to 49C yesterday without cooling itself down.

It's ridiculous I know, but I'm already worrying about UV damage, etc and I've not had the car a month yet.

Ah yes, I read that somewhere. That's a weird restriction. My car has a full 12 miles on it as I have not driven it since picking it up from Brent X. I leave it plugged into the charger as that is what the manual says. No idea why, when it is plugged into the charger, the overheat feature does not work indefinitely.

As a regular visitor to Tenerife older cars (8 - 10 years) over there show signs of sun damage on the roof and bonnet. To reduce the heat, at least on the dashboard, steering wheel and seats they have reflective sheets which are placed behind the windscreen. Don't know how effective they are at keeping temperature down.
Google "windshield reflective covers". Some are designed to be fitted on the outside.

12:38
Current outside temp 22 C
Inside temp 41.3 C

Last edited:
My Model 3 is baking in the sun :( I have enabled cabin overheat protection (with A/C) but on the odd occasion I'll load the app and it tells me the interior is 49C or thereabouts.

I don't have the option of garaging the car at the moment, as it's full of stuff.

I don't fancy fitting an outdoor car cover in case it marks the paint.

Has anyone bought these and can tell me how effective they are?
Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade

Thanks in advance :)
I would recommend getting the rear sunshade not covering the bottom of the rear window,
otherwise the visibility when using the rear view mirror will be very reduced.

511F8rKUGyL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

71T80gLSQ8L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Reactions: Heavy Rain
From what I can gather the sunshade only really blocks the glare of the sun. That seems to tally with it being a mesh. I don't think it will (could?) make much of a difference to ambient temperatures, since it's not reflective and is a mesh.

I’ve been pondering this...

Palram Vitoria 5000 Aluminium and Polycarbonate Carport, Grey | Costco UK

This is sortof a lockdown problem since I’ve never been in a position where I’ve worked from home every day, so my cars would be used to commute.

As it is, I haven’t driven it since around the start of April and it’s just getting covered in dust and detritus. I even washed it last Friday :(

There area lot of car-ort option out there. It really comes down to shape and style of house and available room - and how handy you are at DIY.

I really liked this one Google Maps
In the village I used to live in. The pic doesn't do it justice. The uprights stand off the ground on 20mm threaded rod to avoid rot, You can't see it in the pic but the angled bracing arm's have a curve to them and of course the roof is tiled (I'd use faux aluminium lightweight tiles myself) and you could save a lot of groundwork by using some 8" pipe buried to solid ground and filled with concrete to set the thread rod in.....
Salvage telegraph poles are a good source of cheap rot-proofed uprights. In fact when they change leccy/phone poles on my hobby farm they always leave them anyway so freebies.

• Funny
Reactions: cockneyleek