Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tint Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is actually pretty easy to tell if a store is charging you Tesla Tax. Get a quote for tinting just the 4 side windows of a 2004 Mitsubishi Diamante. Then get a different person to call and get the quote for Model 3's 4 side windows. Both cars got frameless windows and the windows are similar in size. You will get charge for a "new car" tax, but if the shop is honest, you shouldn't get pay too much more on the Model 3 over the Mitsubishi. Once you know the shop is honest, you could ask about adding the back window for the Model 3 which is much much bigger than any other cars.

Yeah. I think they would charge $350 for the side 4, it was $450 for partial rear window and $550 for one piece rear (with the four sides of course). I think they charge $399 for normal car doors and rear window.

What do you all think about using Llumar Air for the rear window? It’s a “clear” material that rejects heat but doesn’t darken the window. I don’t think I want to darken the rear window, especially since it already has the gradient line where the roof tint stops. My interest is heat rejection. My tint shop would use two pieces, but they said the seam would be a few inches higher than the gradient line where the factory roof tint starts. Anybody have any experience to know whether it would really be unnoticeable or whether there might be some distortion from the Llumar Air? Any thoughts about the effectiveness of a product like that for heat rejection?

Just got mine done.
3M Crystalline 20% all around.
7 pieces (3 on each side) with back window panel done in one piece.
No need for moonroof because I bought the Tesla Sunshade for it.
Done at G5 in Alhambra, CA for $950.
IMG_8134.JPG
IMG_8136.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: MoHazee4
And pics....
View attachment 316219 View attachment 316220
As you can see, the 50 is pretty subtle in appearance, but the high quality film does a lot in heat protection, which is really nice here in the south.

Hey wanted to follow up with you on your config. Have you been able to drive with people in the back? I am thinking about getting the back undone due to light refraction along the defroster lines (I know it doesn't bother some people but it's bugging me) but was a little concerned about the heat. Based on what I read I think I should be ok (the front windshield is a much bigger concern, but honestly I'm ok with that being untinted), and some others here have commented that this gives the car a cool look. Obviously everyone is different but was wondering if you could provide first hand experience.

Hey all, I had PPF and ceramic coating done to my car, and while it was there I had tinting done as well. The tint I was going with doesn't have a large enough roll for 1 piece, and I gotta say, after hearing about some people's experiences, I was a little nervous. I gotta say, I'm very happy with how it came out, and honestly, even up close I am not able to see the seem. I just did a quick picture from inside my garage looking out the back window so you can see the results. Bottom line is, if it is a skilled installer, I don't think there is much to worry about in 1 piece vs 2.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20181019_130216.jpg
    MVIMG_20181019_130216.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 566
Reactions: alseTrick
I'm seeing mostly California shops recommended in this thread. Is there anyone with glowing recommendations in Florida?

I took mine to Auto Paint Guard in Tampa. Very happy with the work that was done, and they have a very good reputation in speaking with friends and based on the cars that they had in their shop when I was there that they were working on.

• Love
Reactions: SyAk PM3
Hey all, I had PPF and ceramic coating done to my car, and while it was there I had tinting done as well. The tint I was going with doesn't have a large enough roll for 1 piece, and I gotta say, after hearing about some people's experiences, I was a little nervous. I gotta say, I'm very happy with how it came out, and honestly, even up close I am not able to see the seem. I just did a quick picture from inside my garage looking out the back window so you can see the results. Bottom line is, if it is a skilled installer, I don't think there is much to worry about in 1 piece vs 2.

That one line in your window seems to go *through* the cloud?

I don't view a 2-piece back window as a big deal. But I would expect a 2-piece to be priced cheaper than a 1-piece. Btw, I have no idea where the seam is on your car.

That one line in your window seems to go *through* the cloud?

I don't view a 2-piece back window as a big deal. But I would expect a 2-piece to be priced cheaper than a 1-piece. Btw, I have no idea where the seam is on your car.

I've seen some bad jobs posted that were really obvious, but the only way I can find the seam is to actually sit in the back seat and look for it, and even then, really only on the inch on either side as he cut the line goes right across the defroster line.

I'm considering 20% on the rear side windows and the rear window, but I see above that people are saying it feels really dark in the tinted area of the rear to go to 20%. I hate having a line for a partial tint job, but at the same time I don't want the rear to be too dark.

To follow up on my post, I went with 50% front, 20% rear. During the day it's fine, but at night 20% can be a bit dark when combined with an auto dimming mirror. Overall pretty satisfied though.

Trying to decide between Photosync (but they have to cut the back window in 2 pieces or should I get 3M Crystalline? Heat and visibility are the biggest concerns. I read Photosync is better, but is it noticeable? Any thoughts or input would help.

Trying to decide between Photosync (but they have to cut the back window in 2 pieces or should I get 3M Crystalline? Heat and visibility are the biggest concerns. I read Photosync is better, but is it noticeable? Any thoughts or input would help.
It's not really going to matter terribly as long as it's a nano-ceramic film. Both will help block out heat as you drive and both will still allow your car to get super hot if it sits in the sun all day.

This is literally my 1st car that was tinted, but it seems that the front windshield has a few small dust/ imperfections and the tinted says it was from the model 3 glass having imperfections itself. Is this common? And how many dust particles and bubble is acceptable?

This is literally my 1st car that was tinted, but it seems that the front windshield has a few small dust/ imperfections and the tinted says it was from the model 3 glass having imperfections itself. Is this common? And how many dust particles and bubble is acceptable?
I have a bunch on the top part my windshield. I'm going to bring it up as I have to take it back for them to redo the rear windshield.